Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Etna (a ski resort out of season)

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone on here ever skied on Etna volcano? I've just come back from Sicily and went up it. After a long drive up the south-east side we arrived at the ski area. The infrastructure had been partially destroyed by lava in an eruption a few years back (we saw pictures) and rebuilt. There is a large refuge/hotel and snack bars, and big car parks and some summer tat for tourists.

We went up the long main bubble lift following obvious piste-routes into the clouds, with other sightseers (this is looking back down from it):

The pistes had been bulldozed and smoothed but the off-piste lava between them did not look inviting (except some places where it was covered by ash):

There were also a number of drag lifts and sometimes the clouds parted:

At the top another lift went higher but from here special buses (like very large Landrovers) would take us past it on an ash road bulldozed through the snow (that snow wall on the left is over 2 metres high in places):

There had been an eruption only about 3 weeks before (which they had watched from our next B & B 100 kilometers away) so there was lots of black ash lying on the snow and we couldn't go to the main crater which was still too dangerous (and unfortunately invisible in the cloud) but went to these 2 side-vents:

There is actually some good ski mountaineering and cross-country skiing to be had here, as a guide told us.

We walked across the snow to the 2 smaller vents (the rocks were quite warm or even hot in places by the path):

Afterwards we drove north around the East side and saw these inviting snow gullies on the North side (their bottoms hidden in this view) which a month or two earlier must have gone down to the refuge on a side road we didn't take. On the right edge of this picture there is also, I later discovered, a small North Etna ski resort.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 14-05-11 16:48; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, never been to Sicily - I had no idea there was infrastructure on Etna. Very interesting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is my projekt for next season,, friend in Italy had say to me that the best time to ski etna is Mars, ( to windy before ) There is two ski area on Etna, and alpinetouring seems to be fine there,,, http://www.etnasci.it/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied on Etna for a morning many years ago when I had a bit of freetime while doing some geology fieldwork there. I skied on the southern flank side, based in the Rifigio Sapienza, but there are also lifts on the northern flank near Linguaglossa. I just did it for the novelty factor rather than anything else, and only skied on a few pistes. Etna is relatively high and can get a lot of snow - I've had snow in August there, which is a bit weird for the middle of the Mediterranean.

Thanks for posting the photos; I've spent many months in that part of the world so it's good to see it again.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been to Sicily twice, but didn't ski Etna. There's two resorts and should make for spectacular skiing as you can see the sea - but it's often shrouded in cloud.
Was scared off skiing by reports of an eruption taking out the cable car station...
More scary is the prospect of being struck by lightning up there - four deaths in five years!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
daveyladboy wrote:

More scary is the prospect of being struck by lightning up there - four deaths in five years!

Shocked

The station was taken out by a fairly slow moving lava flow so not much danger really - people were even allowed to go up and watch the flows if they did exactly what they were told.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice pics snowball

We've been up to the main crater but in August, no snow around at that time!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

people were even allowed to go up and watch the flows if they did exactly what they were told.

but lava flows are not always obedient - some definitely have a mind of their own.

V interesting pics. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two cabelecars/gondolas have been destroyed on Etna's south flank, and I think at least one T-bar on the northern side. Lava flows on Etna don't really cause a threat to human life unless you're really stupid and jump on to a flow. It's possible to get very close, the limiting factor being how hot it is. Near the site of the eruption the lava flows in constrained channels, and at the front of the flow it moves very slowly across a broader spread of lava.

The four craters at the summit can be dangerous, and there have been fatalities as the result of a sudden explosion throwing material in to the air resulting in crush injuries. I had a close call there once. Lightening is also a regular threat, and being on the summit inside a cloud which carried a massive static charge was a novel experience (the ground was buzzing, hair stood on end and giant sparks were created when metal objects were a few inches apart).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Etna erupted 48 hours ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13381243
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
daveyladboy wrote:

More scary is rob@rar's first photo. I heard static can make one's hair stand on end but this must've really been something Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sideshow_Bob, Laughing It was quite hot there - my rubber-soled boots started to get sticky.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bluddy 'ell, it bleaches your hair too !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The cyclists are making two ascents of Etna in the Giro d'Italia tomorrow . It'll be shown on Eurosport 1 at 14.45.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow, talk about skiing a young mountain! Fascinating, particularly so because I never knew there was infrastructure there - thanks for posting snowball and to everyone who has posted extra info.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
bluddy 'ell, it bleaches your hair too !!
That was the fear.
ski holidays
Can I recommend a fantastic B&B in Nicolosi for anyone travelling to Etna

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g660767-d653468-Reviews-B_B_Sotto_il_Vulcano-Nicolosi_Sicily.html#REVIEWS

Our review is buried somewhere amongst the excellents.

I notice the only Average review was from someone from France.
snow report
Great thread with great pics. Thanks posters.
I've been up Etna a while back as high as organised tours are permitted to go. Using these big forward control Landrover style vehicles for the last stretch on unmade road. In summer time.
It's an impressive place and I recall being able to enter and walk along an old lava tunnel (the hot liquid had all flowed away before solidifying leaving a tunnel big enough to stand up in. Weird) If you are in Sicily, it's a must visit. As is Taormina.
ski holidays
Yes, we stayed in Taormina - a truely wonderful old town high on a very steep ridge by the sea.

This is the Ancient Greek theatre: on the mountaintop is a castle with the main town below it, and behind just to the right on another mountaintop is perched a village. If it hadn't been hidden by the cloud you would also have seen Etna to the left,
If I had given you the view from the middle or right of the seating you would have seen the sea ahead spread out far below.

PS they had just had a festival of Ancient Greek plays - hence some of the less well preserved seating still being covered by temporary modern terraces. The playing area had already gone back to normal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy