Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel conditions

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking for chalets next year for a stag do and have found some cracking deals for Kitzbuhel

when checking resort however in my ski bible I have reservations about the snow conditions

Anyone been in past couple of years around the beginning of March ?

What were the conditions like ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grolsch99, After this year its clear its all a bit risky, but Kitzbuhel early March is generally at its best IMO. Been there many times and only once have I been disappointed by the snow. There's high Pass Thurn/ Jochberg which holds snow well most of the year once its gets a good base.

Some of the low reds into town can be a bit chewed up late afternoon, but by then you'll be on your third Stein in the Londoner (or worse!) so you'll be fine.

Enjoy, great venue for a lads trip................ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in Kitzbuhel in both March 2008 and March this year. Both times the conditions from the top of the Hahnenkamm lift upwards were great. In 2008 there was no snow at resort level but it was deep and plentiful higher up and a few resort runs were kept open with artificial snow. This year there was some snow at resort/valley level but it was very slushy and higher up I'd say the general snow depths were much less. However, they do a brilliant job there of keeping the pistes in excellent condition.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
grolsch99, like queen bodecia, says there is rarely any problem with snow at the top. Or put differenetly, if there isn't any snow at the top there then there will probably only be decent skiing on the glaciers anyway. Kitz is a great area, and seems to keep on getting bigger, with them having connected up the Pass Thurn area with the main Kitzbühel area a few years ago, and also recently the addition of a connection to Westendorf, albeit with a bus in between, but who's grumbling?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only time I've skied Kitz was April 2010, plenty of snow, and plenty of fresh falling when we were there.

March is usually the best time to ski anywhere in Austria though tbh.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
grolsch99 wrote:
when checking resort however in my ski bible I have reservations about the snow conditions
Which ski "Bible" was that? Some are updated by people who have never been to the place they are writing about. March is a good month there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
early march is usually not a problem with snow in Kitzbühel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ski/snowboard guides tend to diss Kitzbuehel - more power to them, I say, if it keeps the hordes away! It's not the most snowboard-friendly resort as there is a number of traverses and flattish bits to negotiate but it's definitely in my top 3. Have a great time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
grolsch99 wrote:
Which ski "Bible" was that? Some are updated by people who have never been to the place they are writing about. March is a good month there.

Where to ski and snowboard 2011
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
grolsch99 wrote:
Where to ski and snowboard 2011
where it says (online): "It’s just a pity the place isn’t 300m higher. In countless visits over a 25-year period we’ve encountered good snow down to the village just once. Our advice is to book late, when you know the conditions are good."... which is a disgrace. Totally misleading, lazy journalism. I've been there countless times over 25 years too and very rarely had poor conditions. I can't remember not being able to ski into town. Others on this forum live nearby so will testify the same probably.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, I´m complete with you here,, Its not my favorite place, but there is never problem with the snow from xmas to march
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the input guys
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A lovely old town and a great place for intermediate skiing but a bit short of more challenging stuff. I haven't been for many years but Pass Thurn area was linked when I skied there in the early 80s (but only in one direction). I gather that the horrible queues on lifts out of the village are now not so bad. There wasn't any significant problem with snow when I was there but I think it was always either Jan or Feb.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, it's changed a lot since the early 80's. Queues are generally not a problem at all. Pass Thurn is now properly linked in via an amazing gondola that spans the valley. I rarely experience problems with crowds there these days. Also I don't really get why people claim that there is no challenging stuff there. There is plenty for all levels.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang, because they have not really skied the area rolling eyes They have just followed the crowds wink
ski holidays
To be fair I hadn't really got properly going skiing off piste when I was last there, so there may well be steeps I don't know about. If I ever do a holiday driving around in Austria I'll try to get you to show me some of it.
snow report
snowball, my pleasure.
ski holidays
snowball, the best person to try and follow is Espri - Kitz is in his back garden so to speak. I try and keep up with him but somehow feel I'm fighting a losing battle at times Laughing wink
ski holidays
I see clarky999, has been to Kitzbuhel in April and had good conditions. Anyone else able to give an idea of what it's been like in the last few years? We'e looking at travelling out on 31st March for a week.
ski holidays
Ive been there for St Patricks week the past two years, and both times the conditions were fantastic....this year threre was a massive dump down on the Tuesday night and Wednesday morning which meant fresh fluffy powder....mind you the whole resort was quiet in comparison to the previous year, but if you've a good group you'll be fine....make sure you've a few jars in Pavillion at the bottom of the Hannenkahm and then head down to the Londoner, nip across the road to Chizzo for some al fresco drinking and ramble up to Flannigans for Fergus...don't forget to call into Lichtl (the lightbulb bar....it's above a shop on the main pedestrianised street down near the church...look hard cos you'll miss it)...
snow conditions
There will no doubt be skiing available around Kitzbühel at the beginning of April, though it is difficult to forecast how good. Sometimes it is great and, as dazman says, it can improve at short notice. Generally you would expect the lower slopes to be becoming soft (in bad years the valley runs may be impractical). I'm not sure whether the big snowfalls we have had in the last week or so will hold up till then but I certainly hope so - I expect to be skiing there then!
latest report
Cool thanks espri, and dazman. Yes was avoiding the forecast question as I know it's pretty much impossible this far off.

As long as there's usually coverage up higher we'll be happy, skiing back to town and we'll be ecstatic. Soft is fine, we skied Les Arcs last April (after a bad season) with only a small strip a few metres wide to get back down, plenty higher though. We still had a great time.

Does the standard area pass (not all star) cover Westendorf too? We've been to the Skiwelt before, but didn't get chance to get over to Westendorf (from Ellmau).
snow report
hammerite, you need the all star lift pass for Westendorf/SkiWelt. It also covers the St Johann area which is accessible by bus.
latest report
OK thanks queen bodecia, we'll probably not get the All Star pass. Whilst it doesn't cost a huge amount extra we'd probably only go elsewhere for one day, so it's probably overkill.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy