Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TUI profit loss

Poster: A snowHead
Not in a position to look up or post links but just heard TUI made a £350 million loss over the last 12 months on BBC news. Perhaps they aren't raking in as much as some think...or perhaps there is a reason for it?
I understand this is TUI in general and not just crystal ski but thought it was interesting anyhow!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
StockmarketWire on that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
manicpb, achilles, thanks for that. I've an interview with one of the companies in the TUI group later and the recruitment agent had been singing the praises of the bonus scheme being based on group profit margins...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apparently this is good news becaues they made less of a loss than before, so their bigwigs have raised the shareholder dividend by 3%. Not sure where they're getting dosh to hand out to their shareholders when they've lost loads, but it seems Mr Micawber's rules don't apply in the same way they do to us lesser mortals. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Correct me if i am wrong, but i thought this was an Interim loss...as in over the Winter months. I'm sure their Boss said they more than made up for it over the Summer Months. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spud wrote:
Correct me if i am wrong, but i thought this was an Interim loss...

Sorry my poor hearing, was running around when I caught a clip on the news. As I said, just thought it was interesting. £360 million seems a lot...but what do I know!??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spud, that's so. Fat chav families on beach holidays in Majorca are more lucrative than you lot. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or more gullible wink Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, ye gods yes they are.... whenever I hear the words "All Inclusive Santa Ponsa" my skin crawls.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TUI preliminary results for y/e Sep 2010 (PDF file)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, Had a quick look at the data and it looks like a rocky road in tour operation as per usual. I was in continuous employment for 28.5 years starting from Twickenham Travel through Owners Abroad into First Choice retiring in April 2008. Over the years I have seen the ups and downs. The TUI conglomerate is now massive. Their recent policy has to been to diversify and not to have all your eggs in the "bog standard" package market. I think this has been largely succesful with a myriad of small niche markets from all over the world providing good profits which have helped ameliorate the swings in mainstream package holiday market. An interesting business having to cope with volcanic ash, political unrest first in Tunisia and then Egypt. One thing that I am proud of as an ex employee that during the ash and the political problems in the middle east we repatriated all our folks without cost which is more can be said for those people who were left vulnerable because of booking their holidays independently outside the umbrella of a UK tour operator
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just booked a cheeky week away independently again though the First Choice website offered the cheapest air fares so going with them Embarassed (I have shunned them for a few years and spent my holiday pounds elsewhere). Anyhow, to book the whole hol with Thomas Cook (not TUI) would have been over £300 more expensive. Whole hol is only costing £1350 so £300 is a hefty percentage. I decided to take the risk. TBH for what I'm hoping to get then it is good value for money, especially for half term week (the flight times are not to be desired though)

I am going AI, to Crete, is that chavvy?

Did laugh when I was reading Trip Advisor reviews...people moaning that they only got bacon twice in a week Laughing (not the hotel I am going to, of course Laughing). Also, "the hotel staff did not speak very good English" Laughing and also, for the hotel which I am going to which clearly states it is on a steep incline - moans about having to walk up a steep incline to their rooms Laughing Gotta love the Great British public.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Definitely. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, ah, always so much better than the rest of us mere plebs aren't you?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, I'm glad you recognise the fact. Laughing

Obviously I shall be holidaying in an organic low-carbon treehouse built by homespun Bolivian peasants out of all natural materials using traditional methods dating back to the ancient Egyptians. I shall visit local artisan producers to source tasty regional produce which I will cook myself in a firepit, producing dishes typical of the area.

Either that or a campsite in Provence and a diet of wine, cheese and rotisserie chicken from Carrefour.
snow report
It has taken me an hour to work out what Shimmy meant by AI Embarassed

Whereas Lizzard seemed to know straightaway Toofy Grin Are you sure you always grow and cook your own food on holiday Lizzard? Very Happy
latest report
snowymum, I've spent half my life working for TOs remember.
snow report
I thought Shimmy Alcott, had enough children now wink Laughing
snow report
Boredsurfing, yup, all done and dusted. Deffo talking about the all you can eat buffet version Wink
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, you want to watch those things, teeming with food poisoning. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, done ok so far, thanks. We've done AI for years and I can happily confirm I have never experienced food poisoning abroad. Maybe standards have increased since you stopped working for TO?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Just booked a cheeky week away independently again though the First Choice website offered the cheapest air fares so going with them Embarassed (I have shunned them for a few years and spent my holiday pounds elsewhere). Anyhow, to book the whole hol with Thomas Cook (not TUI) would have been over £300 more expensive. Whole hol is only costing £1350 so £300 is a hefty percentage. I decided to take the risk. TBH for what I'm hoping to get then it is good value for money, especially for half term week (the flight times are not to be desired though)

Did laugh when I was reading Trip Advisor reviews...people moaning that they only got bacon twice in a week Laughing (not the hotel I am going to, of course Laughing). Also, "the hotel staff did not speak very good English" Laughing and also, for the hotel which I am going to which clearly states it is on a steep incline - moans about having to walk up a steep incline to their rooms Laughing Gotta love the Great British public.

I went AI in Greece once...never again. Worst food i've ever been offered. We got offered an Apple on a plate for dessert one night Shocked

We found going out instead to local Tavernas much better. I hope it's better for yourself.
snow conditions
spud, as with any of my holidays I always research well. The place we are going has really good reviews for the food, if it didnt then we wouldnt be going. Higher end Ibersotar are great value, lots of show cooking, as a chain they are my favourite for AI; fresh omelettes cooked to order for breakfast, meat and pasta dishes cooked to order in the evening with theme nights to break the monotony. We did Crete AI a couple of years ago, it was the best food I have ever had in a hotel other than our honeymoon in Mauritius; they made their flatbreads fresh each day for the kebabs, fresh tzatziki and a squeeze of lemon...I was in heaven.. I am a "foodie", BSc in Hotel and Catering Management and Diploma from the RIPHH for food hygiene - so I am super aware of what can go wrong. Personally, I dont think you can dismiss AI from one experience.

I look forward, when my girls are grown up, to go and experience a more foodie explorers holiday...but for us, for now, we all really enjoy AI. No need to carry money and worry about it getting nicked while you are in the pool/sea, kids love going up getting their own drinks, ice cream etc. I think you can have a bad experience at any hotel...AI or not...you have to do your homework whether you are travelling independently or through a TO.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:

I always research well

Thought you had gone quiet on here, are you researching another holiday soon? Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing, Laughing tis true...five full on days at the pc. House was a tip and I am paying the price for ignoring the ironing. Bonus day off work tomorrow though to catch up...hope you are around to keep me company xx
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, nah, I've got me summer job....Boredmowing wink
Bl00dy golf course needs cutting but I can't bring myself to pay someone to sit on the mowers all day Laughing
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, that sounds bliss!
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
spud, as with any of my holidays I always research well. The place we are going has really good reviews for the food, if it didnt then we wouldnt be going. Higher end Ibersotar are great value, lots of show cooking, as a chain they are my favourite for AI; fresh omelettes cooked to order for breakfast, meat and pasta dishes cooked to order in the evening with theme nights to break the monotony. We did Crete AI a couple of years ago, it was the best food I have ever had in a hotel other than our honeymoon in Mauritius; they made their flatbreads fresh each day for the kebabs, fresh tzatziki and a squeeze of lemon...I was in heaven.. I am a "foodie", BSc in Hotel and Catering Management and Diploma from the RIPHH for food hygiene - so I am super aware of what can go wrong. Personally, I dont think you can dismiss AI from one experience.

I look forward, when my girls are grown up, to go and experience a more foodie explorers holiday...but for us, for now, we all really enjoy AI. No need to carry money and worry about it getting nicked while you are in the pool/sea, kids love going up getting their own drinks, ice cream etc. I think you can have a bad experience at any hotel...AI or not...you have to do your homework whether you are travelling independently or through a TO.

Well it sounds a lot better than what we were offered. Sorry if i came across wrong.

I've done AI, in a fair few Countries and some really are good. I've had some wonderful fresh food cooked in various resorts in Sri Lanka. Can highly recommend if you're a foodie...some of the best Currys i've ever eaten. Lobster and Crab cooked in spices with Cocunut milk and chillie...Mmmmmm.

The Gyros, flatbread and Tzatziki has got my mouth watering. I love good fresh Greek food. Have you ever tried Scorthalia with Deep fried Courgette flowers stuffed with Goats cheese? You must, it's to die for. Had it in Crete many a time.

Have a lovely time. Madeye-Smiley

And apologies again if i came across wrong.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spud, No worries. No, I havent tried
Quote:

Scorthalia with Deep fried Courgette flowers stuffed with Goats cheese
but I have just googled it and it sounds fantastic !!
snow report
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:

Higher end Ibersotar are great value, lots of show cooking, as a chain they are my favourite for AI; fresh omelettes cooked to order for breakfast, meat and pasta dishes cooked to order in the evening with theme nights to break the monotony.

Sounds brill, do they have golf courses Very Happy
ski holidays
leedsunited, yeah, the kids love the mini golf courses Laughing wink
snow report
leedsunited, did come across the Bonalba

http://www.hotelbonalba.com/en/

looks good, but wasnt quite convinced the food was going to be up to scratch. Think the golf would be great. Good deals out there for this hotel.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Many thanks, looks very nice Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
Perhaps they aren't raking in as much as some think...or perhaps there is a reason for it?

Who did think they were raking in the cash though? I think the loss was expected, and the reason is that too few Brits are prepared to book holidays abroad in advance. That's due to a combination of worrying if you'll have enough money to pay for it, with the expectation that if you wait to the last minute you will be able to get a bargain, so why book up ahead.

Maybe if the larger tour ops thought slightly longer term, didn't discount as much and took a short term hit, in the longer term booking behaviour would change. It's a risk, but TUI are probably large enough to make the market follow - they certainly do when TUI discount.
latest report
iainm wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps they aren't raking in as much as some think...or perhaps there is a reason for it?

Who did think they were raking in the cash though?

I've lost count of how many times I've read "...and they only offered us £50 each in compensation, as if TUI can't afford more than that!"

My initial post was a slight dig at that 'type' of person and a genuine interest in in the topic (having worked within TUI in previous seasons, thankfully not Crystal wink ).
ski holidays
Correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't there talk that TO's will have to evenly balance out their prices across the year, instead of jacking the prices up over School holidays?

If this comes into practice, I think peoples booking habits will change accordingly and effect interim profit and loss.
snow conditions
spud, there is, but only from Mumsnet types with zero understanding of the travel business. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
snowymum, I've spent half my life working for TOs remember.

Work his way up to chief stapler operator over that time too. He would still be doing it if they hadn't restricted his paper clip allowance.

If TUI had more people like Lizzard, working hard to staple as many documents as possible in any one day, they might have made a profit.

Then again he has doubled his salary to almost €200 a week so, really, there was no hanging on to him.

Such is the travel industry's loss.
ski holidays
bar shaker, Isn't Lizzard female?
snow report
bar shaker, Very incisive, couldn't even get (s)he right rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy