Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay for 2 in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to take my teenage (16) daughter in February half term to somewhere driveable in Europe. I want somewhere with a lot of skiing, reasonably cheap, room for two, preferably ski in/ski out, but would take a short drive if much cheaper.
Any ideas please? many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Townspj, hello and welcome to Snowheads !

My family used to do family driving holidays to Austria, staying in the valley at Untergurgl (cheaper) and driving up to Obergurgl or Hochgurgl for the ski day.
Getting there from NE england by Hull ferry, and also stopping in germany overnight to add to the experience and lighten the driving.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Townspj, Base yourself in Altenmarkt- Radstadt and you have an amazing selection of resorts all within a very very short drive. It is motorway all the way from the coast - be that the French, Belgium or dutch coastline Cool

Look at Ski Amade to see the choice and range of resorts all in a very small radius of your base. Ideally I would book into Flangesax's place in Radstadt, (www.austrian-adventures.com) but they may already be booked for that week!

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Townspj, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead At peak times, nowhere is cheap, but the suggestions above look good - and Austria may well be less busy than the French resorts, where our half term always coincides with one of the four big French school holiday weeks. Driving a short distance to lifts is no problem if there is ample free parking - leave the skis on the roof, just take your boots into the warm overnight, never have to walk far in ski boots. Very civilized way of doing it. You'll need snow tyres though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and if it's a very snowy week you might spend a bit of time digging. Warms you up, first thing!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Townspj, most places in Europe are driveable. I usually drive and usually stop overnight, because I'm starting from South Wales. However at the end of April (lighter nights) I have left Val Thorens at around 10am and been home at 1am the next day, with a small detour to see some snowHead s in the Jura and have a cup of tea on the way.

To keep costs down I guess you will want to avoid French autoroutes as much as possible. The Austrian option mentioned above is good. This year I left Flangesax's place at about 9am, dropped in at Salzburg airport to hug some fellow snowHead s goodbye and was in Laon for my overnight stop by 7.30pm. I would have made Calais if I hadn't decided to "avoid" Munich and ended up going on a very slow road through Bavaria rolling eyes With a bit of planning you could use free French and Belgian roads, fill up in Luxembourg (cheap) and then down through Germany. Avoid Switzerland (40SF vignette) and get 10 day vignette in Austria for €7 ? I think it was. His place is not ski in/out but the free bus service to various resorts is OK and punctual, but not "every 10 minutes" - but then you could always drive instead, the resorts nearby are not far. He doesn't charge for parking either wink Many big French resorts (the sort of places that in general will be ski in / ski out) will only allow parking in Pay car parks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. Val Thorens;
2. Tignes;
3. La Plagne;
4. Les Arcs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy