Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fascinating time lapse at 'Tuckerman's Ravine'

Poster: A snowHead
Tuckerman's Ravine (on the flanks of Mount Washington, New Hampshire) reminds me so much of the back coire at Nevis Range ski centre but evidently gets much more hectic at the weekend in springtime ...

http://youtube.com/v/Ek1EN-UhE7w

Fascinating video. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like a row of little ants!
Do you know how far a walk up it is?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
~2 hrs, depending on how good of a hiker you're of course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blimey, and most of them are just walking in ski boots I guess (I can't see much skinning going on) or maybe proper boots then changing at the top?) At least the back coires at Nevis are pretty much lift served.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wigan, Unless you have mountaineering boots with crampons its easier to boot up in ski boots is it not. Even if you do use different boots its not worth the hassle for marginal benefit. Time lapse is good but its very over exposed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a mecca for the telemarkers. But for the alpine skiers, most hike the lower section in ("proper") hiking boots, change into ski boots at a spot called "lunch rock" (usually after having "lunch"), then boot up the upper section.

If you want to know more, here's the link recommended for all first timers: http://timefortuckerman.com/

This is still high time to ski Tuckerman. It's full of snow from the epic season we had.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The guy (pink hat, green jacket) seems to be sitting on the rock for the whole time. Lazy git. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some people do hike up to just watch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe it's his camera and he doesn't want it nicked wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tuckerman is a very popular hiking route. But obviously in the winter, you can't really hike to the top unless you have all the mountaineering gear. So it's quite common for summer hikers who got too much cabin fever in the long winter to get out and hike as far up as they can in early spring. They just can't wait any longer till proper summer. Wink

So you have a few hikers mixing in with the skiers.

Me? I don't bother with hiking much unless I get to descend it on ski! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, is the T-Bar in this post from 7 years back ... http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717 ... still in place ?

It kind of corresponds with the Nevis Braveheart chair (rarely running) i.e. no real use for access but good for using the lower 1/2 of the bowl when in condition. At Nevis Range, the only direct way to the back coire is to ski in from the main area because cornices and very steep scarps prevent climbing to its plateau without mountaineering kit in the way that skiers/hikers are accessing Tuckerman's.

http://backcorries.wordpress.com/

Sadly, though I said it reminds me of Tuckerman's, the back bowl at Nevis Range doesn't get anywhere near the amount of snow that accumulates there. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Far more went up than came back down! Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Marmot, rather than skiing back down to spend the afternoon on that drag lift, most of them go on up from there via the covered, heated quad to the summit. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross I don't know the place. I only know what I can see in the video. I certainly can't see any drag lift. I also can't understand why the only access to a summit-reaching heated quad is via an up-hill hike.
Obviously, I might be missing something. That something might even be that you are jesting with me! Doesn't matter, I know I'm stooopid. Blush
I stiil believe there might be hundreds of hikers left up on that ridge! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Marmot, you not stoopid, t'was me fooling around a bit but you missed the link above. I found a page at the site abc linked to ( http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717 ) that had a photo of a T-Bar which confused the hell out of me the first time I looked at it until I read the rest of the post. wink It's positioned so uncannily like the lonely and venerable Braveheart chair at Nevis range that I couldn't help drawing another parallel. Very Happy
ski holidays
A video for a bit of the history, told by current skiers:

http://www.powdermag.com/mantle/a-tuckerman-tradition/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy