Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aviemore 1970

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A great piece of nostalgia for fans of Cairngorm... http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=2949

(For those following the Skiing Europe thread, it features Weekend Ski Club busses... run by the infamous Chris Reynard no less)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great film! That was us, going up by train Toofy Grin

I'm shocked though, all those people skiing on Cairngorm - and not a gore-tex jacket or twin tip in sight! How on earth did they manage to get down the slopes? Confused And a strange contraption carrying people up the piste - certainly never saw one of those when we were there! Madeye-Smiley (And a sideways chairlift at that....)

The cataloguer of the film could have done with a bit of assistance - anyone care to provide additional information or correct spellings? It should be welcomed...

Now did I see in DG in one of those shots? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great footage...thanks for posting that. Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, It was pretty much the same when I started going there in 1980
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy wrote:
Now did I see in DG in one of those shots? Toofy Grin
No, but he did used to use that Weekend Ski Club bus that left Hendon Central Station on a friday night. There are a couple I recogniose - at 03:45 there's a youthful looking Hans Kuwall (one of the founders of BASI) and, in the red with beard, John Shedden who ran English Ski Council for years. Nice to see the Shieling hut with waitress service (before it burned down mysteriously in 1985). The Woodshed Bar looks just the same as it does today from the outside. And yes, never complain about your equipment again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dangerous material to have posted on the web Toofy Grin disgusting to see public transport running on snow covered roads, Only a single helmet in the entire film, not a beginners snowplough in sight, not to mention spending a day on the hill in only a wooly jumper and twill pants

What is worse is to see a public body spending money to actively promote the ski area to a clearly southern audience.

Fantastic film Bode Swiller, thanks for posting
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple of years before we started, but by 'eck it brings it all back...

Thanks Bode Swiller, excellent stuff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevindonkleywood wrote:
What is worse is to see a public body spending money to actively promote the ski area to a clearly southern audience.

Good point! Why on earth don't they do this kind of promotion now, joined up with 'package' deals of sleeper train & lift pass Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some seriously "bad" memories there - I went to Aviemore for the first time around about then, quite a few vaguely (through the mists of time) familiar faces.

worst memories - the boots and the lack of real comfortable bad weather protection - those cags were a death-trap! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy wrote:
Good point! Why on earth don't they do this kind of promotion now, joined up with 'package' deals of sleeper train & lift pass Confused

They don't even have to go so far as package deals. I'd settle for return train fare from London to Scotland that is cheaper than return business class air fare on Swiss from London to Geneva!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant stuff and not a Subaru in sight - how on earth did they do it? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sunnbuel, renaullt 12 estate it went anywhere hand painted aswell by my dads fair hands,Samerberg Sue, cags and itchy knitted jumpers and nylon ski pants just turned you into a big ITCH I dont think i ever had a day skiing as a kid with anything dry in Scotland,best days of my life I reckon me and my brother flying around Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, good name-checks; it is also possible to spot Dieter Bartsch in that film.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And weirdly some footage of a military (brass) band marching up and down an ice rink, whilst the music being played on the soundtrack is "The Black Bear" - a rousing pipe march, with the interspersed stamp 'n' shout of a battalion of Jocks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy