Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding Legend - Craig Kelly

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recovering from a bit of a party on Saturday night, I sat down yesterday evening and switched on the lunatic lantern, flipped through a few channels before happening on one about Craig Kelly.

Not being a boarder and therefore having no sense of any of the history, I found myself absorbed by the programme - a fascinating insight into the effective launch of snowboarding.

Seems that Sims and Burton (early board-makers) represented the best that there was until they inevitably "bumped" into Craig Kelly, a bit of a phenomenon on the skateboard tour. The resultant signing of Kelly, by Sims, created a partnership that helped propel them into a distinct lead in design of equipment.

A chemical engineer by training, the young Kelly was soon engaging with designers to help them come up with better performing materials to enhance the ride quality and competition performance.

He switched to Burton after a few years and helped establish them as the world leader in board/equipment manufacture.

Craig Kelly appears to have been an amazing talent, a bit of a maverick. In the late 80's and into the 90's he seems to have won just about everything going, whether freestyle or race competition. Apparently he became the first millionaire in the sport from prize money and the subsequent endorsements.

At what one might call the zenith of his career, he walked away from the increasing corporate/business environment and went travelling to many 3rd world countries (as put on the programme) to snowboard in out of the way, back-country places, to, as he put it, get back to the free-spirit days.

The amazing footage offered quite a comprehensive look into the life of the person they called "the Godfather of Freeriding".

Craig Kelly died in a huge avalanche at a resort in Canada on January 20th 2003. One of 7 who lost their lives on that day, apparently. According to witnesses, he was possibly only 3 or so paces from safety when he was caught.

There's much more to Craig Kelly and the development of the sport that he stood on top of and I've obviously glossed over a huge amount. If anyone thinks they'd enjoy watching the programme, its repeated again - details here.

An absorbing 2 hours with some excellent footage, amusing anecdotes, history of modern boarding and interviews with Craig Kelly himself.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 9-05-11 14:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kelly was the man. One of the snowsports all time greats. He was actually training as an aspirant guide and was killed on the Durrand glacier in BC by a multiple point release when the groups were climbing/traversing IIRC.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0301/21/bn.05.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.craigkellyismycopilot.com/

Was riding in Val d'Isere when I heard about the avalanche. Totally gutted, he was my first snowboarding hero!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kelly was a great and a good guy as well by all accounts. He went early to places like Gulmarg and Iran and when he left handed out all his equipment to locals. He helped to found Baldface lodge in BC Canada and there is a tribute to him there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy