Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chop onions with your ski goggles on

Poster: A snowHead
That seems to be the opening message of the new Natives Chalet Cook Book (£9.99 online).

Full info. here. In the publisher's words:
Quote:
It contain recipes for any chalet, and for every taste (all those tricky vegetarian and gluten free options), plus it’s packed with helpful tips, conversions, translations, and all the things that will help you complete a successful season.

Wonder if it provides egg boiling times for low-altitude and high-altitude resorts? (If not, maybe we can come up with something!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, Just stick them in the fridge or outside the chalet for a few hours before you need to peel them and you won't need the goggles and why can no-one remember what a pressure cooker is? At 2000M it's the only way to cook root vegetables in bulk.
I've bought a Grand Remoska® Electric Cooker http://www.remoska.cz/index.php?lang=en (more info why later) from Lakeland and roasted a duck last weekend - ok, it was a nice (almost on first name terms) organic duck, but it cooked through with this thing, beautifully . . . next attempt is a cake (not my forte!).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another thing to be aware of when cooking at altitude is that things seem to dry out more, I assume due to the dry air, remember if cooking in the oven at altitude to add a little water to keep the humidity up, especially if making cakes or they will end up very dry
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i was looking at a remoska - I'll be interested to hear how the cake goes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I have NEVER made an edible cake Sad but I'm reading the instructions (like THAT's gonna make a difference!). What I like is the flexibility of going straight from stovetop to 'oven' , the duck was on a bed of caramelised scallions and rosemary and then basted with a cherry and honey glaze.
My main reason for buying is the energy consumption . . . having lot’s of fun working out how much energy I use against how much I need (there’s thread in itself).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Masque, You've got me really curious about this Remoska. After reading about your duck cooking it got me thinking about what i'm going to use myself this coming season. The place i'm staying at only has 2 electric rings and I was planning on picking up a Microwave on the way down to the Alps.
Would you rather use your Remoska for cooking than a microwave?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rockyrobin, They come in two sizes, I got the big one (which has now been pinched by Mum rolling eyes) but I'f you've got the space, a cheap little microwave would be very useful too. It boils down to what and how much you want to cook.
I want to be able to stick it on a timer and have something ready for when I get back from the day and at 850w peak consumption, it's better than an oven. I found this site http://www.hoorayforhomecooking.co.uk/ a bit hyper but fun, I've ordered the cookbook.
pam w, tried a simple all-in-one sponge, zapped in the blender first and poured in. It didn't rise like I hoped and the top was overdone, but for the first time it wasn't a inedible Frisby. Apparently the cookbooks have lots of tricks to get the best out of it. . . . should I be thinking of two since German vans don't have ovens? I like the idea of making bread in one . . . that smell first thing in the morning . . . now all I need is a source of organic, maple-cured, smoked bacon . . . mmmmmsexonaplatebuttie.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, That putting it on a timer sounds just up my street! Hmmm, hot food waiting as I come through the door.
I actually hate cooking as I can be lazy at the best of times, but seeing how expensive eating out can be I really need to hone up my cooking skills before going Laughing
Have you considered how to run this thing on the swiss electric? I have visions of a travel plug getting excited at trying to push 850w through it!
Cheers for the site linky. I may well end up getting the cookbook too. OMG, i'm going to be adding cookbooks to my bookshelf! Shocked Will have to cover them up or people round my gaff might start getting ideas! Laughing
Oh yeah, almost forgot - have you had any problems with things getting burnt stuck to it making it a royal pain in the butt to clean?
I wonder if a Marmot would fit in a Remoska? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rockyrobin, they're teflon coated, but it looks like the old fragile stuff, so be careful. and 850 is less than a travel hairdryer, not a worry. PS. don't use adjustable travel adapters. If you have to, use a fixed converter, but for long term use fit an EU plug.

Marmot, peeled or unpeeled?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, Cheers Smile Am I right in thinking that in Switzerland they're on 110v? If this is the case would it be a good idea to get a "step up/down transformer"?

Definately peel the marmot first. Makes easier to whoof it down rather than fiddle with it.
For best flavour with marmot perhaps it be a good idea to age mature the meat first?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nothing on the jar about peeling. It just says "Spread thinly on toast"
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
seeing this thread title and David Goldsmith as the author, I just thought: Oh, I imagine he just wears his ski goggles at home a lot, and he would naturally have discovered one day that when he cut onions with them off the experience was less pleasant. Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rockyrobin, All of Europe is 220/230, inc. Switzerland.

The best marmot recipe I've seen is:
see marmot
run over marmot
buy a cheese sandwich at next service station
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, no problems runing any uk appliance on Swiss electrics, however you may find different parts of Switzerland use different plugs ! I'd suggest making a short extension cord no more than say 2-3M with a UK socket (rubberised) on one end and the other end free for you to buy a suitable plug from the local Swiss eletrical shop
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, Hehe, I had it in my head for some reason that they were on 110v. One less thing to worry about thank goodness Smile Thanks.
Raw marmot? Eugh! You'll be telling me next you like sushi also.

D G Orf, Cheers for the idea of the extension cord. Are you sure though that I can be trusted to wire a continental plug without any prior knowledge?

Hows the skiing partner search gettin on? I'm also single doing some time on my own in the Alps. I was thinking maybe Switzerland have online dating agencies? Could be a good way to meet the young (or not so young) ladies over there and strike up a relationship (or two Laughing ).
latest report
rockyrobin, well if you can't wire it I expect the nice person in the Swiss electrical shop might do it for you
snow conditions
D G Orf, I agree it maybe wise to get a swiss electrical shop to do it for me. Sadly my g@@gle skills are not getting me any info so far on DIY. I just hope the electrical shop I goto has a nice person behind the counter.
latest report
snowball wrote:
seeing this thread title and David Goldsmith as the author, I just thought: Oh, I imagine he just wears his ski goggles at home a lot, and he would naturally have discovered one day that when he cut onions with them off the experience was less pleasant. Wink

Well, yes, I do but at this time of year it's really effective to chop onions under water - so it's diving goggles at the moment.
latest report
Don't let this man near your onions

He's more skilled at chopping mushrooms
ski holidays
Thread resurrection time!! How the Remoska going Masque? I'm thinking of getting one, as although I have a decent hob, the oven in our place is only small.
ski holidays
Quote:
Chop onions with your ski goggles on

Ive been doing that for years, first time i started cooking in halls I got a few funny looks from flatmates though...
Now that my old goggles have finally got to the stage where they are next to usless for skiing in, they just live in a cubbard in the kitchen with the knives...
ski holidays
I wear my bollé sunglasse to peel mine.
snow report
My mother used to wear my swimming goggles. She once answered to the door to a delivery man whilst wearing an apron and swimming goggles, and holding a large cook's knife. He was a bit startled.
snow report
In the cult French movie "Diva", one of the leading ultra-cool characters chops onions wearing mask and snorkel, while instructing the hero in "Zen et l'art du sandwich".

- I've tried it. It works, but it didn't make me ultra-cool.

(Not if Mrs A's hysterical laughter was anything to go by)
snow report
Sit in armchair watching TV.
Mrs Odin chops the onions
My eyes are fine ! - Problem solved Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:
rockyrobin, All of Europe is 220/230, inc. Switzerland.

Except for Swiss hobs and ovens - which are 380V I think. I only know this because I nearly bought one at Ikea near Geneva and was, thankfully, stopped with a "are you taking this to France?" question from the sales assistant.

Ikea Geneva. Now there's an experience for anyone who's been to Ikea in the UK. Think "Ikea", but one that works. Parking attendants guiding you to your places. Staff floor walking to keep the isles clear. Staff who ask intelligent questions. Checkouts that take less than 2 minutes to get through. And full service where the order is not only waiting for you arrival. But checked. And then checked again before you take it...

...almost raises a tear of nostalgia...
latest report
PhillipStanton, I have to say thet Ikea Turin was OK too.
snow conditions
Do they sell diesel as well? wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, Evil or Very Mad , at least I didn't lose my car in the car park.
ski holidays
The car wasn't lost, I knew exactly where it was. The keys on the other hand.... Sad
ski holidays
Anyone thinking about going to the Ikea in Lyons should just reverse everything in my post above.

Though the full service counter should get a special mention. Imagine a hundred-odd French punters, not known for their queuing ability at the best of times, and a bloke at the front shouting out numbers so quickly that even the French couldn't understand them. I just took the approach of going to the front every 5 minutes with an air of "that was my number". Eventually, the bloke just waived me over.

Turin though, Helen Beaumont, who'd have thought huh?
snow conditions
If yuo want to chop onions and not cry, put a spoon in your mouth or get someone else to chop them. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy