Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Post Office to Piste Office - FINALLY

Poster: A snowHead
Its an excellent setup! Roger C, guess it is a close run thing betweenspyderjon and Chemmy Alcott
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And to think it was only recently that I was handing out some leaflets at the local cimema's showing of the new Warren Miller movie then a week later we get a prime time ITV slot for free Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have to pay you a visit next time i am up at the out-laws in Cotgrave. I am guessing thats only ten fifteen minutes away?
By the way he is a web designer wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, I seen you on the telly last night! lol
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
East Midlands flooding from ITV Central
http://vimeo.com/56031605 , looks like you might need your wellies!! Fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse.

The link will work.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a couple of feet of water at each end of the village but the shop is in the middle of the Main St & is a bit higher so has never flooded. The water yesterday came across the road from the beck opposite & was up to the top of the kerb which was the closest it's ever got even though we had more rain in '07. The above pic is at the end of our road in June 07 but I could have taken the exact same shot yesterday - in fact my mate in the cottage shown had water coming through his letterbox.

BTW, the Merc's not mine - there's not that kind of money in this skiing lark! The driver hit the unseen standing water water early morning in the dark & it's deader than a dead thing & has just been towed away. I think those Kompressor engines suck in air (now water) so it could be expensive.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My brother in law lives near Market Harborough and has been talking about buying a new set of skis for ages - I'll direct him to you.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 21-12-12 10:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Hope you stay dry this weekend. Hear there's more rain coming. Good luck, be thinking of you and all affected.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks great. Must admit I used to like visiting the garage and having coffee and biccies there - but obviously the shop is a big step forwards. Hope it and you go from strength to strength - and keep clear of water!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hope you're still dry Jon, and thanks for taking a look at my skis yesterday, it's much appreciated. As I said, I'll get in touch with you towards the end of Jan for a full service (oooo errrr!). Loved the shop btw!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hope you (and my skis!) are still dry!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davkt wrote:
Hope you (and my skis!) are still dry!

It's you're skis that are holding up the sand bags wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, would have thought you could have found something fatter for that!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well doesn't time fly when you're having fun!

Can't believe that it's been eleven years since I started this thread and that I've now completed ten winter seasons in my shop. Thanks again to all snowHeads that have supported me with their custom.

It's been a tough last couple of seasons due to Covid but we run a tight ship so we've come through it ok, although it would have been a lot tougher without the financial help in 20/21 from Rishi. I had planned that 21/22 was to be my last full time season but covid has scuppered that. So it's now likely that that next season (22/23) will be my last, well certainly full time anyway. I can't see me wanting to stop tinkering completely but how much I do will depend upon whether anyone's interested in taking over my business and/or how my pensions do this year. But I'm turning 62 in the summer and with young grandkids and an aging Mum/MiL I know I certainly don't want to do as much.

I think it'll be more likely that I'll just do less but there's a point when even my low shop overheads would get expensive so I can see me renting out my shop to a small business - which means I'm no longer tied to the village - which opens up the possibility of us moving house and I'd revert back to a (mega) home workshop etc - which will also align with my plan to scratch build my own 4x4 off-roader Cool

Whatever happens I'm hoping that the next ten years will be as much fun as the last and my snowHead customers/friends have played a big part in that fun. Off now to send a PM to Admin re the cost of a Golden Ticket for next seasons bashes wink
snow conditions
@spyderjon, well done Jon, it’s always a pleasure visiting you and spending much more money than I planned. Hope you keep going a few seasons, even if you drop down to 2-3 days a week I’d hope you can continue in that way, love your shop and the banter.
latest report
@spyderjon, wishing you loads of fun and many thanks for all the advice and help with the gear!

Happy to have visited the Piste Office. The Piste Office to snowHead is like Mecca to pilgrims.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, if we end up moving then we could be neighbours!
latest report
Hear, hear!!! Look forward to buying some gold plated skis off you next season snowHead

Do you take orders for the 4*4’s?
latest report
Quote:

Whatever happens I'm hoping that the next ten years will be as much fun as the last

Hope so too, @spyderjon. snowHead
snow report
@spyderjon, I've never used your services (once a year punter me Toofy Grin ) but I've enjoyed your posts and you've had a great adventure with your Piste Office venture. Sending my best wishes to you for the future.
snow conditions
But then where will I store my excess bindings between seasons? Laughing

Good to hear you'll be continuing in some form or other, so then I won't feel guilty about ringing you up for advice on unrelated matters Cool
latest report
@spyderjon, I'm sorry I didnt have a chance to chat with you on the EoSB.
I'm hoping we get a chance next year.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
@spyderjon, I'm sorry I didnt have a chance to chat with you on the EoSB.
I'm hoping we get a chance next year.

Don't worry you'd just have been bored senseless about the length of various screws and what the release of assorted bindings actually tests at wink
snow report
Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

@Markymark29, if we end up moving then we could be neighbours

Ha, that’d be a good move, great place to be up here in North Yorkshire wink
ski holidays
So does this mean we only have 1 more season to get another set of skies with the piste office sticker on them?!? Or will you be retailing skis going forward still? 11 years. Like you say, crazy when you're having fun. It's no mean feat either running a small business.
snow conditions
I'm not sure this is allowed? Aren't you like the Queen - short of an untimely demise you have solemn duty to keep serving the good people of this island with ski related knowledge, advice and temptation? Very Happy

Seriously, good luck with whatever balance you decide to strike. Thanks for all the advice and some highly strokeable skis.

Cheers

Jed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
But then where will I store my excess bindings between seasons? Laughing

Good to hear you'll be continuing in some form or other, so then I won't feel guilty about ringing you up for advice on unrelated matters Cool
I'm sure that Jon will go on doing what he always does, which is to help out other snowHeads when he can. Sadly that can't be said of everybody.
snow report
@spyderjon, here's to the next ten years being great for you, whatever you decide to do. I've never actually visited your office but it's been a pleasure doing business with you over the years. Very Happy
snow report
@spyderjon, blimey, that dates my visit to the 'pre-piste office' garage for the 'how to' lessons. How time flies - but the servicing training still comes in handy. Many Thanks.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
snow conditions
Imagine that lovely place becomes a pub and the looks of a new owner when people keep turning up with skis Smile
ski holidays
Having had you sell me some skins and set up some Salomon Shifts on my new all mtn skis for the (doomed) 20/21 season, I can confirm that they have been used, and though I'll never be a touring junkie, I am now tempted to go one step further towards a pure touring set up and look for a pair of touring boots. Maybe I'll make it to the east midlands for a fitting before you shut up shop. Mr P and Mr P junior (Not SHs-but the latter a decent freeride skier, coach in NZ and ski instructor in the northern hemisphere till C19 hit) have also availed themselves of your services in recent years.
ski holidays
That scares me into remembering many years ago standing in my boots on a wobble board in your garage checking for fore/aft balance!

Moving to Yorkshire wouldn't be your worst idea Smile

You've been an absolute star in answering all my queries, helping spec our skis & bindings for myself and Mrs Kitenski and always having t'kettle on when I've popped in!

See you for a bike ride from @Markymark29s house Smile
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
Imagine that lovely place becomes a pub and the looks of a new owner when people keep turning up with skis Smile
ie The Pissed Office
snow report
@spyderjon, Gosh! I'm sure you will want to carry on tinkering, I had better get an order in Very Happy
ski holidays
radar wrote:
@spyderjon, Gosh! I'm sure you will want to carry on tinkering, I had better get an order in Very Happy

Ah the Scouse masterplan is unveiled - it's a whole year of buy now while we're still around, never to be repeated deals before curiously the DFS Office will extend its presence wink
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, wink Laughing
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Well doesn't time fly when you're having fun!

Can't believe that it's been eleven years since I started this thread and that I've now completed ten winter seasons in my shop. Thanks again to all snowHeads that have supported me with their custom.

It's been a tough last couple of seasons due to Covid but we run a tight ship so we've come through it ok, although it would have been a lot tougher without the financial help in 20/21 from Rishi. I had planned that 21/22 was to be my last full time season but covid has scuppered that. So it's now likely that that next season (22/23) will be my last, well certainly full time anyway. I can't see me wanting to stop tinkering completely but how much I do will depend upon whether anyone's interested in taking over my business and/or how my pensions do this year. But I'm turning 62 in the summer and with young grandkids and an aging Mum/MiL I know I certainly don't want to do as much.

I think it'll be more likely that I'll just do less but there's a point when even my low shop overheads would get expensive so I can see me renting out my shop to a small business - which means I'm no longer tied to the village - which opens up the possibility of us moving house and I'd revert back to a (mega) home workshop etc - which will also align with my plan to scratch build my own 4x4 off-roader Cool

Whatever happens I'm hoping that the next ten years will be as much fun as the last and my snowHead customers/friends have played a big part in that fun. Off now to send a PM to Admin re the cost of a Golden Ticket for next seasons bashes wink

hey Jon thanks for all the sage advice over the last decade , learnt loads in my trips down to yours , got to ski some great skis too , good luck for the future and look forward to seeing the 4X4 project come to fruition , hope to get a chance to ski together too snowHead
snow conditions
@Dabber, Drag him out to Squamish so he can enjoy some Timbits and criticize the quality of the kit in Canadian Tire.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy