Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Nah, not in the photos. Merely an observation.. They always seem to be on the summits. So it's just a navigation tool? Surely it's easier to erect a signpost rather than carefully stacking up a couple dozen of rocks to stay upright? And if they mark the routes.. Is there a certain thing about them that tells you where to go and not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah wrote:
Nah, not in the photos. Merely an observation.. They always seem to be on the summits. So it's just a navigation tool? Surely it's easier to erect a signpost rather than carefully stacking up a couple dozen of rocks to stay upright? And if they mark the routes.. Is there a certain thing about them that tells you where to go and not?

Do you mean something like these?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Xoqfmtf-v1c/TK355mOia2I/AAAAAAAAAJ8/sduQ7SB8dfU/ScafellPike%20(33).JPG

http://www.leaney.org/photos/2004/20040209l.jpg

They are pics of Scafell pike. Piles of rocks are typical to help walkers find their way esp in poor visibility. You use your compass to get the right direction and then the piles of rocks help you to pin-point the route. Lower down it's easy to mount a Signpost in the soft ground or put a route marking on a tree but when the terrain is made up of loose rocks it isn't so easy (unless there's a big rock that isn't going to move).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite often these rock piles have been made by people just picking up a rock and placing it on a pile as they pass and they grow in this way, you can see them all around the mountains during the summer not just at the top... seems to be some sort of tradition but that is about all I know!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech Warth Link

Some photos over on the German Forum of the Weibermahd Lift upgrade

Chair Gondola Link.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does that mean the Lech/Warth link is going ahead???
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, "The winter season 2011/12 will start on December 2nd, 2011 - with the new Weibermahd-Cable car - and finish on April 22nd, 2011 [2012?]. We look forward to your visit and wish you a pleasant stay!"

Not sure about the Warth end though? But it would be odd to build such a lot of infrastructure if it wasn't joining up with something else...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The link willl not be completed his summer. They are only reneweing/upgrading an old lift this summer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
The link willl not be completed his summer. They are only reneweing/upgrading an old lift this summer.

It does seem that this must be stage 1, as it was a very quiet seldom used lift from memory....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wouldn't have said it was a quiet one, certainly hasn't been the quietest one in the Arlberg that I've come across in the seasons I've done here. I think you're thinking of the 2 man Rotschrofen lift. The Weibermahd is the one that brings you back towards the top to be able to ski back to the village after going down through the speed trap.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitter, think it's the same one, the only way out after the speed trap? I've been there twice over UK Easter hols, never seen a q there...think there was 8 people in front of me once Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah it is that one. must be the timing. THe times I've been there I came across lots of ski school kids and instructors lapping round it doing various drills and near enough every chair had at least one person going up. Rorschrofen on the other hand I think I've only ever seen about a dozen people getting on to it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/0SqpBgY89NA
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just booked some accommodation in St Anton for next January and want to book a flight as soon as possible before the prices increase. Prices for Innsbruck and Zurich are about the same for me and are just as easy in terms of departure airport.
I was thinking Zurich would be better as there is less chance of getting redirected in bad weather (unlike Innsbruck?) but the train timetables for winter aren't up for ages yet.

Does anyone know the usual times the trains leave from Zurich in winter so I can choose an appropriate flight now?

Another option is the Arlberg Express shuttle and the times for next winter are up for that already. By the way I'd be flying out on a Monday and flying back on a Sunday so it won't be the usual Saturday times I'd need.

I don't really mind which airport, which one would you guys go for usually?

Thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Innsbruck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://www.vol.at/skigebiete-wachsen-zusammen/news-20110713-06325670
snow conditions
Eyeopener, it's interesting, but whether it will actually happen...
latest report
True..
snow report
This link has been talked about for some years. They will still have to deal with the Naturschutzanwaltschaft!!

They are saying that the renewel of the Trittkopfbahn is a done thing in 2013/14 . So i presume with the new variant inclusive of a middle station.

http://www.vol.at/skigebiete-wachsen-zusammen/news-20110713-06325670
latest report
And if you're going to do that... Then you might as well link to Alpe Rauz... Is presumably the logic from the lift lobby... Like you say, quite a bit of local politics (let alone economics) to be worked through yet...
ski holidays
Someone should of told this guy that Rendl is not new !!

http://youtube.com/v/s4_Ovuhs_Bc
ski holidays
There will be a new Steak House (Happy Valley Steak and Shake) in St Anton this season (On the old site of Funky Chicken , Platzl).

The Hotel will not be completed unitl 2011/2012

http://www.anthonys.at/
ski holidays
hors Piste
Location: UK Can anyone tell me the meaning behind the tower of rocks on the summits in the Arlberg? I imagine it's a common tradition across Austria (at the least), but why? What's the meaning behind them?

Towers or more properly cairns are left for several reasons. Sometimes to mark route. If on the summit then often each is a mark someone has reached it.

In the Himalayas I have seen a number of cairns that the locals always told me were placed there for memorial reasons. A rock being placed on top for anyone that did not come back from the mountain. I placed two rocks on one such stack for 2 sherpas who had been portering for a French expedition that were attempting the same peak as us but were a few days ahead. The sherpas had attempted to get back for the next expedition as quickly as they could - to get their next pay packet. Got caught in a snow storm and perished. Our group found them and ensured they were returned to their village
snow report
Mark1863, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Poignant first post.
snow report
Thanks for the welcome. Only the second forum I have ever posted to. Some interesting threads.

I am a bit of ski or rather mountain junkie as I expect all Snowheads are.

BTW the French failed to peak. The storm that killed the sherpas dropped 1.5m and they could not over the glacier to the ridge that you follow to the summit (6500m). We were luckier a crust had formed and although we kept falling through it up to our ribs it was possible to eventually cross the glacier. All 12 in the British party with union flag had their pic taken on the top. The deaths although not from our group did make me wonder if it was worth it

The incident detailed has helped make me a cautious man when in the mountains.

I intend to make future posts somewhat more jolly!
ski holidays
http://vimeo.com/27591971
snow report
Photos over on the German Forum.

Arlenmähder Piste Works 13/13A
ski holidays
They seem to be getting on quite well with the Weibermahd upgrade. Walked past it today on my way over to Schrocken and all the pillare are in place and up and both the berg- and tal- stations seem to be getting on well. Bloody hot today tho, according to the local paper it's gonna be the hottest week this week.
latest report
Weibermahd upgrade live

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
Someone should of told this guy that Rendl is not new !!

Well, to be pedantic, he is right in saying that the lift is new... but obviously the area is not, so it is complete b*llocks to say it opens up a whole new area, it goes to exactly the same place as the old one. I selfishly wish they had not moved the lift, when it was a 5 minute walk away (OK, maybe 10 in ski boots) it put a lot of people off and it was always a good bet for a few fresh tracks on a powder day, I wonder if that will still be the case now, I suspect not.

I have to chime in on all the sentimental rubbish you folks are saying about the good old days... I completely agree with you all:-) I'm becoming more sentimental for the old St Anton with every new building that goes up.

I thought the old train line gave the town real character. It was a bit of a pain when I was working there if I got stuck behind the barriers... but at other times it was an excellent excuse if you were running late (come to think of it, perhaps it was not an excuse that ever went down well, Austrian's are not tolerant of lateness). It was the beginning of the end when they moved the train line I fear.

All the new buildings are fine in their own right, I don't object to modern architecture, but they look out of place in St Anton. Sadly, there are now so many new buildings the traditional buildings are now starting to look out of place:(
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I've just booked some accommodation in St Anton for next January and want to book a flight as soon as possible before the prices increase. Prices for Innsbruck and Zurich are about the same for me and are just as easy in terms of departure airport.
I was thinking Zurich would be better as there is less chance of getting redirected in bad weather (unlike Innsbruck?) but the train timetables for winter aren't up for ages yet.

Does anyone know the usual times the trains leave from Zürich in winter so I can choose an appropriate flight now?

Another option is the Arlberg Express shuttle and the times for next winter are up for that already. By the way I'd be flying out on a Monday and flying back on a Sunday so it won't be the usual Saturday times I'd need.

I don't really mind which airport, which one would you guys go for usually?

Thanks.

Train times are now available for early December for the Zürich line, they seem to be the same as the summer times (give or take) - every couple of hours or so from Zürich, taking 2:30 to 3:30 (ish) depending on connections.

I usually end up flying to Zürich because it's a lot cheaper and has more options than Innsbruck. If you can get a flight to Innsbruck it's obviously much closer. There's a train at 3pm from St Anton that connects with the last BA flight back to London from Zurich so you can get in the best part of a day's skiing on the last day if you go with that option. However I have yet to find a way to get to St Anton from the UK and be skiing the same day, even a sickeningly early flight from Heathrow does not seem to connect well enough to get in to St Anton much before 3pm. Mind you, that's good enough timing to get warmed up with the apres ski:)
ski holidays
Quote:

it put a lot of people off and it was always a good bet for a few fresh tracks on a powder day, I wonder if that will still be the case now, I suspect not.

Not sure the new lift up to Rendl has massively changed things. Still much quieter than Galzig and Gampen.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
Quote:

it put a lot of people off and it was always a good bet for a few fresh tracks on a powder day, I wonder if that will still be the case now, I suspect not.

Not sure the new lift up to Rendl has massively changed things. Still much quieter than Galzig and Gampen.

Good to hear:-) Maybe people look at the piste map and think there's not much there (I confess I thought that for many a year until a P2P guide showed me stuff I'd been ignoring).
ski holidays
I haven't been to St Anton since Jan 2009 (think the old Rendl gondola was going then) and will be going back first week of Jan 2012. What can I expect this time compared to my last visit?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I haven't been to St Anton since Jan 2009 (think the old Rendl gondola was going then) and will be going back first week of Jan 2012. What can I expect this time compared to my last visit?

The new Rendlbahn started in the 09/10 season, so that's the biggest change you'll see. It now goes from the western bus station - and that too is completely re-built. If you head out of the side door of Jennewein's and cross the road there is an escalator that takes you to the lift. It's a big fast one too. When you get up there the restaurant is completely new, it's a huge self service place - not too bad compared to the French self service places, but not as good as the more traditional eateries in St Anton in my view.

I didn't ski there last winter* so not too sure what else has changed, but reading this thread should update you and some of the summer work that's going on.

[* I was conducting an experiment to see if I could find anywhere better, so I deliberately did not go to St Anton or any other place I'd been to before. The experiment was a success, in that I decided there is, in fact, no where better than St Anton, so I'm going to stop looking now]
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Quote:

Has made that side of the resort busier from what I've experienced, but still much quieter than Galzig/Gampen, I've actually had to wait to get on to the gondola rather than just strolling on with the old one. Atmosphere's not quite the same at Rendl beach with the landscaping of the park viewing area and installation of a large wooden fence. Park's deffo improved as they've got an outside company in to maintain and run it, was much busier this last Winter.
snow report
Quote:

[* I was conducting an experiment to see if I could find anywhere better, so I deliberately did not go to St Anton or any other place I'd been to before. The experiment was a success, in that I decided there is, in fact, no where better than St Anton, so I'm going to stop looking now]

sah, agreed Very Happy Booked my week at Haus Angelika for the lads trip in March. Missed out this year and starting to look forward to it already
snow report
sah wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I didn't ski there last winter* so not too sure what else has changed, but reading this thread should update you and some of the summer work that's going on.

Thank you sah. I have looked through some of the summer work on this thread but I wondered whether it would all be done by time I go. I guess it would be because they can't really do work very easily in the winter months.

I am going for a ski around the first week and doing a course the second week so it will be good to be a tourist the first week and check out the bits that have changed.
snow conditions
I am amazed by the amount of work they can get done in the summer. I drove through St Anton in mid September 2009 and they seemed to have just poured the concrete for the Rendlbahn base station, yet it was up and running by the start of the season.
latest report
sah wrote:

Train times are now available for early December for the Zürich line, they seem to be the same as the summer times (give or take) - every couple of hours or so from Zürich, taking 2:30 to 3:30 (ish) depending on connections.

I usually end up flying to Zürich because it's a lot cheaper and has more options than Innsbruck. If you can get a flight to Innsbruck it's obviously much closer. There's a train at 3pm from St Anton that connects with the last BA flight back to London from Zurich so you can get in the best part of a day's skiing on the last day if you go with that option. However I have yet to find a way to get to St Anton from the UK and be skiing the same day, even a sickeningly early flight from Heathrow does not seem to connect well enough to get in to St Anton much before 3pm. Mind you, that's good enough timing to get warmed up with the apres ski:)

Oh, thank you sah, I shall take a look, I didn't think they would be out until about October time. I did actually book my flight to Zurich a couple of weeks ago because as you say, it's cheaper than Innsbruck generally and Zurich is not as likely to close in bad weather or have flights redirected elsewhere. I don't mind the longer transfer time because I'm so used to going to Tignes from Geneva anyway.

I was intending on using either the train (sounds like a really nice journey by all accounts) or the Arlberg Express coach which does already coincide with my flight times. Both are about the same price I think so it doesn't really matter, whichever is most convenient. I quite like the idea of using the train because I always bus it to the French resorts, will make a nice change and I won't have to prebook the train that time of year, presumably (going out 2nd Jan coming back 15th).

Are the train tickets the same price if you just turn up and buy on the day or do you prebook yours?
snow conditions
sah wrote:
I am amazed by the amount of work they can get done in the summer. I drove through St Anton in mid September 2009 and they seemed to have just poured the concrete for the Rendlbahn base station, yet it was up and running by the start of the season.

Yeah I'm sure. I expect the idea is to work like the clappers and get it all done while the weather is good, and besides they have quite a few months during the summer.
Sounds great.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy