Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Snowed overnight and the white stuff is still falling as I type
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizwald, Snowing today, also driving out Thursday for 10 days, cant wait, I know its going to be freeze/ thaw and off piste will be limited maybe cruddy etc, but what the heck totally great time of year to ski!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
Grizwald, Snowing today, also driving out Thursday for 10 days, cant wait, I know its going to be freeze/ thaw and off piste will be limited maybe cruddy etc, but what the heck totally great time of year to ski!!

Off piste could be either powder or great spring snow, think positive Smile

Out on the 7th April myself...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, Yeah your right! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sitter, Splendid!!

kitenski, Markymark29, Forecasts are so unreliable at times (most show that it's sunny right now for example) which is why it's so great to come on here as I know there are snowheads out there for the season. I'm out on a stag do so some beers out on the balconies of St Anton's many watering holes will go down a treat, this is the highlight of my entire season and I desperately want to sample the Arlberg's epic/legendary off piste! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizwald, I agree, great skiing - real chilled time, long days, terraces with beers late pm, cant wait! Have fun.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grizwald, not sure what forecasts your referring to, all the ones I use were and still are showing snow for today Very Happy

eg

http://gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=stuben
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, My thoughts as well - bergfex is the one i keep close to, always seems pretty accurate and showed snow for today
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
Grizwald, not sure what forecasts your referring to, all the ones I use were and still are showing snow for today Very Happy

eg

http://gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=stuben

Thanks for that I'll use that link if it's more reliable. The 7 day forecast has changed from being 20+ degrees to being colder with more snow forecast for Sunday and Monday thus far.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grizwald, I just pull info direct from GFS + snow-forecast + j2ski, (who all use GFS anyhow.....)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowed since yesterday evening and still snowing when I left at 4, maybe 10 - 15 cm of fresh I'd reckon some very nice runs off schindlerbahn and through rendl snow a bit heavy but powder is powder.

Thanks St anton two paddy's days in a row you've given me some fresh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi All,

Anyone on the ground in St Anton with some news on the cnditions. We arrive tomorrow night for a long weekend.

many thanks from a very excited Snowhead

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another one here, arriving Saturday morning, any news really welcomed!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone used Arlberg Alpin for guiding?? Just came across this on stuben.com, they state:

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday is Freerideday € 65.00 per person. In our Ski-and alpin School we guarantee that we have only officially graduated and qualified Ski instructors and mountain guides.

All our tours in the Arlberg mountains including those abroad will be accompanied and led by our own qualified/certified mountain-or ski- guides

wondering if anyone has been out with them ?

I'm out with the family w/c 7th April and looking for a days guiding whilst the kids are in ski school for the first two days of our holiday.

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just in case it gets hot again in the coming week, here is the summary of my findings re snow quality after a few days of warm termperature as skied last week:

St Anton - crap (though only went as high as the Schindlergratbahn, there is one run higher which might be slightly better)
Rendl - slightly less crap
Gampen - didn't ski at all

Lech - an unrelenting slush fest
Zurs - had by far the best snow quality I found in the area and the best runs were red 2 and blue 11

Enjoy,

Like I said, even if the snow goes bad the gravity is still good.
ski holidays
8611, Sad Sad
ski holidays
8611, define "Crap"? Do you mean typical spring snow? icy first thing, softening nicely then becoming lumpy later in the day??

Skied St Anton in April for the past 3 years and even in last seasons very poor snow it was far from crap!
snow report
Yup, standard spring snow. Did the run down to Rauz from the Valluga yesterday just after lunch and was exactly as expected, lovely higher up but once towards the bottom was rather slushy and bumpy, and full of skiiers that really didn't know how to ski in those conditions causing havoc all over the place.
snow conditions
Sitter, slushy and bumpy is great fun IMHO and something I enjoy about spring skiing!!
ski holidays
Sitter wrote:
and full of skiiers that really didn't know how to ski in those conditions causing havoc all over the place.

That'll be me next week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Bags are just about packed, skis tunned and this time tomorrow should just be arriving in resort. Forecast still saying a few cm's tonight, Sat and Sun but the Max temps seem to be topping out at 10-11 degrees which is better than previous weeks where I'd seen it in the high teens to low 20's. Excitement starting to build, looks like a week of great sliding and beers on sun soaked balconies!!! Cool snowHead Cool snowHead
ski holidays
Very Happy crap by reference to how much better the snow on those two runs in zurs was I suppose. Crap by reference to fresh snow? I still had a great few days as will you!

To be honest I'm struggling for adjectives to describe bad snow... hard in the morning definitely, but I wouldn't describe it as icy. Last Jan in avoriaz when it was much colder and hadn't snowed in three weeks was icy. Here it was just hard and, I suppose, unresponsive?

I suppose I'm also trying to convey importance of leaving St anton. Instinct reaction is to head up galzig. Most people do this meaning the snow gets thrashed quicker. Go elsewhere and the snow is abetter and there are less people around. Also the aspect of the slopes above St anton is south facing (I think?) Meaning they are sun hammered and more affected by freeze thaw. So is lech. Rendl and one side of zurs much less so.

Also heard sonnenkopf was good (which is illogical given its name) but didn't make it.

Either way enjoy I would KILL to be back out there!
ski holidays
Arrived in Sankt Anton 8.30am today and me and OH skied until about 3pm, ok it got a bit heavy at about 1pm but all runs we skied were in great condition, no brown snow anywhere, Albona the best but CRAP, what's all that about???... yes it's not mid January deep fresh pow conditions but if I and my pals can ski end March in snow like this, and have a couple of beers in the sun, its bonus as far as i am concerned, I'm happy, crap snow ain't here.com!!
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
but if I and my pals can ski end March in snow like this, and have a couple of beers in the sun, its bonus as far as i am concerned,

you can all the way to the end of April.

OK many of the mountain bars & downtown joints will close after Easter but the skiing is still great all the way till closing day.

Then its time to get the touring ski out Very Happy
latest report
Finally got around to processing some shots from visit to Lech in first week of March. 6 powder days from 9 - it was good Wink

photos at: http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/posh-people-dont-ski-pow-a-week-at-lech/
snow report
Arrived in Lech on sat 24th. Earlier advice still prevails, stay on north facing slopes in Zurs and Stuben and the skiing is wonderful, the sunny slopes get very heavy above Lech get very heavy and to be avoided. Weather stunning and forecast to remain so all week - happy days Very Happy
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/cOZq5tMgMNE
snow conditions
looks like the high is due to breakdown for all those folk heading out for Easter....

The center of the high-pressure area, which has been determining the weather, will move to the Atlantic. At the same time, a low-pressure area will move from Scandinavia to East Europe. Between these two forms of air pressure a very windy, variable and colder north-westerly weather current will build up over the Alpine regions. A first cold front will cross our regions on Friday morning. A brief period of more settled conditions, which will follow on Saturday, will result in bright sunshine. On Sunday morning, however, a further cold front will reach us. Monday promises bright sunshine once more, however, the bright weather will not stay for longer, as another frontal system will approach on Tuesday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back last night after a great week in St Anton. Very warm Spring condtions, so much snow coverage not an issue but genreally very heavy in the afternoon and the afternoon-did wonders for my technique in the bumps! Toofy Grin

Few cms fell on Friday with more higher up but was also getting very wind swept in areas too. Very pleasent sitting out on various terraces enjoying a beer..... Not sure of the actual temps but felt above 20 degrees.
latest report
Grizwald, +1, had a great week, just back too - great spring snow, and fantastic weather, a brilliant week. Long skiing days, and sunny terraces late pm.

If any SH's are planning a guided day suggest you go with guide Torbs who is regularly on here, we had a fantastic day with him did big backcountry routes off Rendl, Rossfall and off back of Maroi after booting up the Kopf.....just a great day and the spring off-piste was tremendous, Torbs is a top guy, knows the best snow an highly recommended, we'll be having a day with him again next year. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Closing Party's

The KK will be having its season closing party this Saturday April 7th.
snow report
Grizwald wrote:
Just back last night after a great week in St Anton. Very warm Spring condtions, so much snow coverage not an issue but genreally very heavy in the afternoon and the afternoon-did wonders for my technique in the bumps! Toofy Grin

+1

My slush bumps technique improved loads through the week. Really started to enjoy the big slushy bumps by the end of the week. Very Happy
snow conditions
Easter POWDER!

Winter will return this Saturday. Snow & Freeze level down to the town & below (800M) on Sunday through next week Very Happy
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Easter POWDER!

Winter will return this Saturday. Snow & Freeze level down to the town & below (800M) on Sunday through next week Very Happy

Easter Powder snowHead ..... Happy days .................... I fly out to St Anton on Sunday, got a couple of pals driving out Tues/Wednesday. Don't use it all up!!
latest report
Driving there on Saturday, bring it on!!!
snow report
kitenski, Got guide booked?? Perfect.....jealous.....me?!!

Have a good one.
snow report
kitenski, Knew my Easter snow luck would see me right wink Arrive St Christoph Saturday afternoon....and hoping the coach driver has chains Laughing snowHead
latest report
Any latest intelligence as to snow conditions? - sorted to come out this weekend and agonsing over quiver selection - kinda hoping it's warm enough in the day that if it's not fresh powder it'll be straight to spring snow as would like to avoid hardpack.

Also will be flying solo midweek onwards so anyone with their own offpiste kit up for a noodle around let me know.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Any latest intelligence as to snow conditions?

Same as whats normally expected for this time of the year Happy

The Fohn is leaving us..

The freeze level will be dropping & below freezing at night. You can expect slick hard pack in the morning (1st lifts) on all north facing slopes. The south facing will soften up around 11am. Its going to be overcast for the next few days with a mix of snow & rain. Although Easter is earlier this year you can expect it a hell of a lot better than last season Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
Although Easter is earlier this year you can expect it a hell of a lot better than last season Very Happy

Had some great skiing above the slush line last Easter. Valluga was good, Trittkopf excellent, and Madloch nice and squeeky.
However, although staying in St Anton did the Weisse Ring by skiing down to Alp Rauz, caught the blue bus to Zurs, zipped round the ring (mainly slush puppy slopes in Lech), back to Alp Rauz 4.00 pm, caught the lift up and headed to St A. 12 was slushy, 4 Steisbachtal was semi carnage with kiddies and parents, Zammermoos, tried to get the lift up to the top of Galzig but missed last ride, so carried on. Had a coronary by Moosewirt!! Wet stuff slushed into those molehill like moguls that you don't want to see anytime. A life changing skiday!! WTF is better than that????? Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy