Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
nobrainbcn wrote:
...I'm already booking for next year Smile And I haven't even tried St. Anton...

Next year you will also be able to ski the Warth area too, if all goes to plan with the new lifts/pistes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the advice Sah! Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From today's Tirol avalanche bulletin:

"Starting out early rewards skiers and freeriders with terrific firn snow on sunny slopes."

Bah. Humbug. Mad ('cos I'm in my office in the UK and it's grey and dull outside)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/yZHlhlWGXUw&feature=related
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Folks

If you ever get the chance to see this film "LEGACY" It really to show the Arlberg is the cradle of skiing. The family descendents still live in town.

AUSTRIA'S INFLUENCE ON AMERICAN SKIING, which captures the key role Austrian alpine ski culture influenced America following WWII. Part I, "Hannes Schneider & His Disciples" was awarded the Media Prize by the International Ski History Association.

http://culturefilms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=42&Itemid=71

Here is an a talk with the maker Ian Scully

http://youtube.com/v/6yPnjqw63Po
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The legendary film "Der Weisse Rausch" (The White Rush) is worth a look at, maybe naff by to-day's tastes. It was shot in St. Anton in 1931 and featured Hannnes Schneider and Leni Riefenstahl as ski instructor and pupil in a "tongue-in-cheek" story centered on St. Anton. It was ground breaking for it's outdoor action ski sequences, filmed on Glazig, as the two stars are pursued on skis by some of the St. Antoners. Leni Riefenstahl later gained notoriety for making Nazi propaganda films, however, some redemption was made post-war when Leni devoted herself to work in African villages. In her later years in East Africa Leni famously survived a fatal plane crash and later again a fatal vehicle crash! Despite all that, she died of old age in 2002 (?) aged (?). The tourist office in St. Anton sells the dvd, or it did when I bought a copy a couple of years ago. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm... Spring is slowly taking over in Lech/Zürs...
I skipped yesterday to recover from a spectacular fall, ehem, only to find slushy/icy mixed conditions today. Sah's predictions were spot on; hard pistes in the morning high up, getting softer by the minute down below. I repeated tuesday's path - Lech in the morning, then off to Zürs around 12: that is when and where I found the best snow today, in the amazing area - both piste- and landscape-wise - leading from the top of Rüfikopf down to Zürs (these must be some of the greatest landscapes I've seen in my entire life... really breathtaking, especially with this wild sun). Better snow also around the Muggengrat chairlift, while the rest was disappointing in Zürs (slushy in several areas, icy where there was no more slush left despite the high temperatures. I think I'll head directly to Zürs tomorrow morning to enjoy it while it lasts Wink
Ciao!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nobrainbcn, might be worth hopping on the bus and skiing in Stuben, there's a lot of N facing stuff there (certainly off piste, but a couple of longish pistes too), which should be in good condition all day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hey there, thanks! i'll check it out for tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nobrainbcn, It is spring, what did you expect??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not yet! One more week to go! Smile I wasn't complaining, though. Just reporting my experience
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nobrainbcn, it has been spring for two weeks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not quite, considering all the snow i took in Saalbach... still, it's great to be here even with the slush!!! taking the chance to work on the tan Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nobrainbcn, By who's diary is it not spring??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nobrainbcn, er no. It has been spring for two weeks...
snow report
sorry but... uhm, at least in Italy and Spain, spring starts on 21 March Smile
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primavera
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primavera
ski holidays
nobrainbcn, it's open to debate, but at least meteorologically speaking spring starts on 01 March.
latest report
the italian version of wikipedia clarifies that in astronomical terms, spring starts on the spring equinox (20/21 march in the northern emisphere), while metereologically it starts on different dates according to the country. so i think we can all sleep peacefully tonight accepting that for an Italian or a Spanish guy, spring starts on 21 March, while for Brits it starts on 1 March Smile
latest report
nobrainbcn, however from a weather perspective (and I do believe weather is the point?) in Austria (where you are are) as in the UK it starts on.... 01 March running for three months until... 01 June. Every year. And I really don't care what wikipedia or Italian or Spanish guys think.
latest report
gulp...

about 30 hours to clip in and I'm looking forward to slush? I've managed to ski three times this year and always just the wrong side of a decent snowfall.

nobrain keep up the updates please I've texted your Zurs advice to my phone to guide me in due course...

anyone skiing Ischgl and able to tell me if it'd be worth driving up?? Little Angel
snow conditions
davidthornton wrote:
The legendary film "Der Weisse Rausch"

I covered that one many times on here & in the past.
snow report
Spring Tour St Anton from Carl Olsson
http://vimeo.com/38493380
ski holidays
8611, I wouldn't worry too much! I'd say the conditions I found in Lech/Zürs on the first days of the week were exceptional (though regular visitors clarified that it's often like that around here in March); temperatures are a bit high currently, which makes for typical early spring skiing (you have to look for good snow, but you can find it, at least until 2/3pm); forecasts expect temperatures to drop a bit over the weekend, so you might as well enjoy a great week. besides, the amount of snow is amazing, the slopes are great, the landscapes unforgettable... what more do you want Smile
latest report
Thanks nobrain, I want, of course, powder, but I'd have settled for cold snow. Got lucky last year with a fresh dustingat t this time
ski holidays
8611, We arrive tomorrow night.....see you the Mooserwirt on St Patricks Day.

nobrainbcn, Second trip to St Anton this season....I was there 4 weeks ago in - 30 so an upswing the temps might be a welcome change....I never seen the Mooser/KKs/Griabilis forecourts so deserted, cos it simply was too cold to stand around in...Underground on The Piste was the place to be.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
nobrainbcn, however from a weather perspective (and I do believe weather is the point?) in Austria (where you are are) as in the UK it starts on.... 01 March running for three months until... 01 June. Every year. And I really don't care what wikipedia or Italian or Spanish guys think.

From a skiing conditions perspective I'd say it's when ever the weather warms up so you get melt/freeze cycles, often leading to icy runs in the morning and slush later on. And corn skiing off piste when you time it right. You can get spring-like conditions at any time, although pretty rare in December or January I confess, and very much the norm in April. Putting hard dates on the seasons might be useful, but when it comes to skiing conditions I generally expect mid-March to be pretty much random - spring conditions one day, wintery the next has been my experience.

What I think is wrong is the idea that March is somehow too late to expect good snow. I don't know where this comes from but it seems to be a common view point. I consistently find March to be the best month for very many reasons - not just in St Anton but in the Alps as a whole, and indeed at Whistler too. Of course you can find crappy conditions at any time in a bad year and/or at low altitude, but in general March is just superb.

Perhaps I should be less worried, maybe this perception keeps the crowds away, which is one reason why March is a good time:-)

Anyway, it seems like it's been spring skiing this week, and it looks like winter conditions are coming back this weekend. Enjoy!
ski holidays
sah, shh, let the hordes come in February and leave March and April nice and quiet Smile
snow conditions
sah, Winter conditions this weekend you say??.....tell me more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dazman,

http://www.foreca.com/Austria/St._Anton_Am_Arlberg?tenday and
http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/wetter/schneevorhersage/ Happy

(actually it's looking more like Monday for snow, but getting cooler at the w/e)

I'm sure stanton will be along shortly with the local view too...
ski holidays
Just seen the longterm forecast its going to get colder from the 28th with a low pressure pushing in by the 30th and by the looks of things, should bring quite a lot of new snow. Shame I am back in the Uk on the 28th Sad But I intend to enjoy myself while I am there Razz
snow report
Spinout, which longterm forecast was that?
snow conditions
So now I see why people hit the bars around three snowHead

Snow poor, gravity still good though Very Happy

Best I found by far was on the shadier side of Zurs as advised, in the morning. Everything else was pretty much a slush fest. This at least meant the off piste was really soft though.

See you there Dazman, was epic last year, place was so packed today I couldn't get near it by 4.30 but Ive mates who are planning on lunching and then staking claim to a bench Very Happy

Repeat q for anyone who can report on conditions in Iscghl as may head up for a day on Monday, may be some fresh snow by then anyway
snow conditions
Last week of March 2009 I was in St Anton with my OH, for the first time in years, I promise you'll be able to sun bathe and get a tan, pack tee shirts. In the space of 7 days we had two falls of snow each of something like half a metre each and it was January cold. Whahey!!!! Fab skiing. Very Happy OH not too impressed though!! rolling eyes
latest report
Should arrive in St Anton about 5ish tomorrow, here's hoping for a wee drop in temps and some white stuff to freshen things up. Never been before so well looking forward to it, whatever the snow conditions.
latest report
8611, yesterday I headed directly for Zürs and snow was good in the first few hours of the morning (while in Lech it's still a bit too hard at that point). Have you tried the spectacular area coming down from the Rufikopf? If you're lodging in Zürs, it's worth taking a skibus first thing in the morning to take the Rufikopf and slide down to Zürs from that side.

I'm sure you could already give much better tips than me by now, but just in case, here are a few safer bets: pistes 11 up the Muggengrat (off-piste is almost totally tracked up there, but you can still find a certain powder feel), probably even piste 10 in the morning, and on the other side the whole area around the Trittkopf (which I found surprisingly good even yesterday afternoon, when all the rest was going Baywatch). In Lech, if you don't mind a bit of slush, don't miss wonderful pistes like 45, 46, 35a.

What a great time it has been... I'll soon be raving about Austria in my blog Wink
I'm leaving tomorrow (aaaaaw), hope you get a bit of fresh air!

Ride and shine
latest report
nobrainbcn wrote:
I've found both the snow conditions and the slopes better than Saalbach

Your in the Arlberg now you have grown up! Its not that pussy skiing in Saalbach or anywhere in Austria east of the Arlberg . Toofy Grin
snow report
...rezpect, Yoda Smile
snow conditions
I've just bagged a bargain week for 5 x HB based in Lech from 8th April. Very Happy Will be keeping a close eye on the webcams but there's still a lot of snow in town considering the scorchio conditions in Europe of late ... http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=at_lech

As we are always snow magnets when we hit the Alps, I know it will also dump in the days running up to that weekend. Little Angel
snow report
Thanks for advice nobrain will put into practice early tomorrow morning, provided I manage to leave Scotty's sometime soon Very Happy
snow conditions
Any of the forecast snow fall in the Arlberg over the weekend? Some forecasts saying it's going to be stinking hot by midweek, out on Saturday. Will take a stinking hot slush fest! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy