Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest Chalets I've seen for a while...

Poster: A snowHead
...wonder what the catch is?

BTW...They are nothing to do with me. Just stumbled on them whilst looking for property.

http://www.investorsinproperty.com/property/brixental/little-tyrolean-chalets/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are not built for permanent ocupation - no cellars or storage space (legal requirment for permanent occupency). you probably need a 4-wheel drive to access them in winter as they appear to be quite high up above Hopfgarten. built as holiday homes means they do not have to comply with the same building regs as houses built for full-time use.

Depending on whereabouts they are above Hopfgarten it could be quite noisy and smelly as there are a couple of sawmills, factories in the valley that are not exactly pleasant to experience.

Think log cabins in holiday parks and you'll see why they are so cheap. Saying that I don't think they are that cheap and Hopfgarten does have some wonderful views and access to Ski Welt on the doorstep.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud, The catches might be...

- Only 50 sqM - pretty darn tight for a 3 bedroom IMV.
- Log cabins are cheap to throw up anyway so resale value would reflect that. Only just above mobile home territory.
- Looks like they are a long way from the action and the uplift - a drive up what looks like a farm track.
- Hopfgarten is OK but the least sought-after SkiWelt resort.

In south of Carinthia near decent resorts like Nassfeld and only half an hour from Klagenfurt Airport, you can buy traditional, properly built detached properties for less than that. I've seen one over 100 sqM for under 150k. Needed lots of work on the decor and furnishing but that's all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought there would be some catches... Very Happy

Although regarding smell...having spent a summer season in Soll, the stench of freshly laid cowpats, literally running down the slopes, was a smell i'd rather forget in the heat of summer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spud, I live in a village in the mountains close to Ski Welt and am surrounded by fields - I'd rather have the slurry spread than chemicals - you get used to the smell after a very short while. We then have wonderful wild alpine flowers, all kinds of insects and wild animals because the food chain is not broken.

Another bonus is if they start spreading after a period of hot weather, you know it is going to rain within 24 to 48 hours as they don't like the stuff to dry and get blown away. They only spread when it is going to rain wink

Be grateful it isn't pig slurry as well - now that really is some stink Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes...tbh, you do get used to it. Although i never got used to the damn Church bell waking me up every morning. My apartment was right next to it Laughing

The worst was the Chicken 'manure' they used on the Greens of the local Golf Course. If you were down wind of that, you soon knew about it. And that was in Elmau...A few KM's away Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spud wrote:
Yes...tbh, you do get used to it. Although i never got used to the damn Church bell waking me up every morning. My apartment was right next to it Laughing :

Reminds me of my first ever ski holiday, to Zell am Ziller. Arriving at the hotel after dark and being advised that I'd need to be at the ski shop by 9.00 a.m. next day, I asked if I could have an alarm call. Seeing which room I was in, the Receptionist smiled and advised I wouldn't need one........she was right Laughing The - and I quote from the TO Rep here - 'village nutter' was responsible for ringing the church bells, which he did with great enthusiasm and apparently little regard to the actual time! I never slept in once Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My mat eis having 5 of these put up on his land as holiday homes... The price of the actual cabins (all 5) assembled is €120,000 The price to include hooking up with utilities and the concrete bases and all furntiture will be coming in at abou €200,000 - and that is for 5 of them!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
They are not built for permanent ocupation - no cellars or storage space (legal requirment for permanent occupency).

This is an interesting point - what law does this come under? Does it apply to Zell am See? You might recall my ongoing battle there to get the apartment I want to buy recognised as a holiday rental; the council say it is residential but it does not have any storage space for the apartments, just a small boiler room in the cellar
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know how far they are from the nearest lift?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stephen buck, the details don't even mention proximity to uplift so best assume it's a drive and park situation. There won't be a ski bus either if it's up someone's private drive. If something looks too good to be true...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The details say 2 mins drive???

Quote:
Hopfgarten gives direct access to the SkiWelt Wilder-Kaiser ski region and the main lift is just 2 minutes drive down the road from the chalets

Picture 4 appears to show drag lift lines visable? summer so no hangers

flangesax, has the best reason for the pricing , these are small and dirt cheap to put up
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if there's an address i can look for you, living up the road in westendorf Smile

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 4-05-11 21:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
The details say 2 mins drive???
by Bugatti Veyron.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, ...just to add that there are still genuine bargains to be had throughout the Swiss Rhone Valley - although I'd hold off at the moment since the CHF is at an inflated level and is likely to reduce - prices for properties drops hugely the moment that you need to drive for 10 mins or so. I could name a handful of villages near us where there are chalet for sale eg 5 beds for around 230,000 gbp - these are well built properties although you would need to wait for a 'strangers permit' to buy, as a foreigner. Prices are way lower than the eurozone; I constantly am amazed at the inflated prices in the Haute Savoie - for these French prices check out the GreenAcres site.
latest report
valais2, yep, nail on head, some want to be near the action and won't drive 10 miles to the lifts so they pay for it - their choice and they'll be comforted by the fact that's factored into the resale. But, I am happy to drive and there's a certain appeal to being down the valley a bit where the summer comes into its own. Here's an example of one I found in Carinthia, and there are many just like it, just 10 miles from Nassfeld (110km pistes, modern uplift, very nice up there on the Italian border and easy drive from Klagenfurt or Lubliana (sp))... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-32218631.html - 120,000 Euros + fees for 367 sqM !! A very sound property just needing updating and some funky furniture. It's too big actually, unless you'd want to split it down into renting apartments, but it makes a mockery of paying double that for a shoe box in a purpose built resort that'll be a ghost town for 8 months IMV.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, ...that's an excellent find...like it a lot...
latest report
I like that place in the link above. Needs a total renovation bit still, at €120,000 you could get a right bargain, maybe even offer €100k, you never know!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I have seen a similar one on the market out there for €50,000. The building quality is very high, everything is over-engineered. Renovation would be almost entirely interior decor, maybe insulation, flooring, furnishing, light fittings and a bit of exterior landscaping. It's good in the winter but spring/summer is awesome and Italy/Slovenia just a short drive away - the Adriatic is about 2 hours away. Moltall Glacier isn't that far away either if you fancy an out of season slide. These places are unfashionable as far as Brits are concerned because very few have been there and sampled it so there's not a lot to drive the prices up.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
valais2, yep, nail on head, some want to be near the action and won't drive 10 miles to the lifts so they pay for it - their choice and they'll be comforted by the fact that's factored into the resale. But, I am happy to drive and there's a certain appeal to being down the valley a bit where the summer comes into its own. Here's an example of one I found in Carinthia, and there are many just like it, just 10 miles from Nassfeld (110km pistes, modern uplift, very nice up there on the Italian border and easy drive from Klagenfurt or Lubliana (sp))... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-32218631.html - 120,000 Euros + fees for 367 sqM !! A very sound property just needing updating and some funky furniture. It's too big actually, unless you'd want to split it down into renting apartments, but it makes a mockery of paying double that for a shoe box in a purpose built resort that'll be a ghost town for 8 months IMV.

I will be doing the lottery this weekend Very Happy
snow report
Bode Swiller, Have you made an offer Very Happy
snow report
Boredsurfing, no but I'm planning to go out and have a proper look. That place is too big though eh?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, um, I'm willing to be a guest Little Angel to help you fill those empty rooms
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Ok but this is Austria so there is a dress code and a few haus rules:

latest report
Bode Swiller, yeah, thats great, I'm sure you will look awesome in that costume. Send me through the details once the details are done.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Split it, have a small s/c appartment to pay your local taxes and leccy bill. Bobs your Auntie!
I'm sure the AGM will co-incide with your visit wink
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, all my trips are EGMs. I have been thinking along you Auntie Bob line. Makes sense.

Shimmy Alcott, don't 'arf chafe tho'.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy