Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much damage will a hire shop tolerate?

Poster: A snowHead
After skiing in Val Torens for the same week as the family bash, my hire ski’s got a lot of damage to the base. i.e. 3 gashes right down to the core, exposing the edges completely (although not damaging the edges).

I did not take out insurance from the hire shop, and was fully expecting a fine, or to have to pay for a replacement ski. I had my arguments all ready.

All I got was a resigned Gallic shrug. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's the end of the season, perhaps the skis were gonna be scrapped anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I completely destroyed a hire ski, without penalty, near the end of the season a few years ago. Totally my own fault too. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IME edges being ripped out was a stuffer - otherwise the shops seemed to live with damage.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems to depend on which ski it is. Some expensive skis just out of the wrapper are probably treated differently to beginner skis that the shop replaces for peanuts. A lot of places won't let new skis out before the coverage is decent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
had huge gash on one ski one year (the year Les Gets was green in early Jan) on brand new Rossis. Chatel was mostly fine, but you find out the hard way where rocks aer 2cm below the snow. no insurance from shop or skiset either.

said it was OK. no problems at all, but then the rental guy (Michaud Sports) remembered me from previous years, and had a deal with the chalet. I guess if the snow is dire he knows everything is gonna come back in a worse state?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was given a decent pair one year(beginning of season) and told not to venture off piste as coverage was nil and I would break them and then would be paying
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it is merely a case of doing the maths. While I have no data to back it up I wouldn't imagine many pairs come back as write offs and thus they are a small proportion of the turnover of the shop and can be factored into the costs of hiring throughout the season. Especially when so many people are prepared to pay extra for "insurance" which is probably underwritten by the shop themselves in any event.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
giving by the racks of very expensive hire skis in Lech that were getting destroyed, after having had bindings removed I'd say at the end of season they won't care, if you'd done it the first week of the season it may have been different....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I trashed a hired board once by exploring an admittedly thin off piste trail. Took a big gouge out of the board and pulled the edge out. I had to go back to the shop mid trip because it was too trashed to continue to use.

I expected to have to pay for it but the guy in the shop actually apologised, like it was his fault their board broke! I told him not to worry, these things happen, and went off with a new rental board for the rest of the week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a gash (5mm wide, 20cm long, through to the base in places) down the middle of a fairly new hire ski. I showed it to the shop and asked if they wanted to fix it. They said to carry on using the ski without worrying.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You're lucky. I had to buy a pair of skis from Snowrider in Meribel after a trashed the bases, with a a similar sounding gash to yours. Once repaired they weren't too bad, but it was an expensive mistake.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a few gashes in the bases can be easily repaired at no real cost. Personally I wouldn't even tell them. Twisted Evil
We all know that nothing does rocks like a hire ski
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've always wondered about this and admit to paying the few euros insurance for kids skis. Do this as I know they will drop them, ski over rocks, mud, trees, other kids etc
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iainm, Presumably they reduced the cost due to wear and tear. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Got chased back to the hotel and charged 25 euros IIRC for a foot long gash down to the base in Sauze d'Oulx one less snowy January. Didn't take up the insurance as I wasn't offered any! Have photo of it somewhere as it looked quite impressive to me. Was a pair of newish Salomon Street Racer 8 or 10s.
ski holidays
I tend to take the 1 euro a day insurance option to cover loss and theft if I'm renting - that way I can basically forget about the potential uncomfortable discussion at the end of a week and possible cost. A few places in VT on the EoSB had signs in the window advising customers to take the insurance due to snow conditions especially off piste.
ski holidays
I knacked a brand new pair of hire skis in Tignes this year. Lots of rocks on the piste and I hit one scoring a 4 inch scar down one ski down to the wooden base, splitting the core and dinging the edge out. Only found out when I got to the bottom and took the ski off so still possible to ski on them but, as the shop pointed out, they couldn't rent the skis out again. I hadn't taken out the insurance (covered on my own policy) so I had to cough up in resort for them; full retail value less a weeks rental! I had some fairly "in depth" conversations with the ski shop on the subject and their position was that if the skis had been older or it had been nearer the end of the season I wouldn't have been charged for them or it would have been a lot less.

I decided to take it on the chin as a lesson learned - In future I would definetly take the shop insurance, especially if conditions are bad. I would not rely on ski pack insurance in my holiday cover again as once I get into it it is generally less than the value of a new pair (especilly when you take out the excess) and a nightmare to recoup after the event.
ski holidays
Two places I've rented in France have taken credit card details at the time of rental in case the skis were damaged, some places take it pretty seriously.
snow conditions
Alpinresorts.com allow you to pay with Paypal, which is as anonymous as cash, and the shops I've rented from through them haven't taken CC details. No comeback possilbe - unless you then give them your CC details.
snow conditions
I have my own skis but always advise visitors to take the insurance. Then you just dont have to worry abou t damage or lunchtime theft.

A friend's daughter lost two snowboards (on two separate trips), yes LOST them, don't ask me how. He wasn't insured the first time. He was after that.
latest report
If you do trash a ski, you may as well chuck them in a skip, and then claim on your travel insurance. It will cover theft or loss of equipment in many cases, and you'll have a receipt from the shop to claim back the amount. Most insurance policies will cover loss and theft, they won't cover equipment being damaged in normal use.

This would, however, be insurance fraud. Ho hum.
latest report
I think I have seen somewhere that as far as costs is concerned there is a strong possibility that the shop may charge the rental potential of the ski not it's direct replacement cost - obviously the former is much higher than the latter.
ski holidays
snowhouse wrote:
I think I have seen somewhere that as far as costs is concerned there is a strong possibility that the shop may charge the rental potential of the ski not it's direct replacement cost - obviously the former is much higher than the latter.

They have no right to do that unless it is impossible to replace the ski.

The most they can charge you is what it would cost to put them back in the position they would have been in if you hadn't wrecked the ski.
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
iainm, Presumably they reduced the cost due to wear and tear. Toofy Grin

for sure, it wasnt' 'cost price', but it was still more than i had planned for a few days of ski hire (and the truth is, that made it worse, that it was a friend working at the shop who had lent me the skis for nothing...oops!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy