Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Silver Ski in La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking about booking a mixed ability group holiday with Silver Ski in La Plagne next season. They have chalets above Plagne Centre, and in Plagne Soleil and Plagne Villages.

We have skied La Plagne before so know what the resort skiing is like in general, so the question is more to find out if anyone got any specific experience of the Silver Ski chalets, positioning etc and any recommendations or warnings?

Thanks in anticipation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have useds silver ski approximately 40 hols over the years but on last 3 standards have slipped so almost. CERTAINLY NOT using them again.
The good news is that owner normally lives in la plagne so any problems Should be sorted out
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big Dave, a group of us stayed at Chalet Dede a couple of years ago. Not a bad chalet and (so long as there are no complete beginners in the group) the slopes are accessible from the chalet (if there is anyone who can't manage an easy blue there are shuttle buses from the end of the road (very short walk)). Our biggest issue with the chalet was that we went in a good snow year and had to dig our way out down the stairs every morning (I wish I'd had that problem this year!). Rooms are relatively small, but that's what goes with the budget.

I agree with geoffken that standards have dropped in recent years. The group I ski with have used Silver ski for most of our breaks for the last seven years and things are changing. Free wi-fi was dropped and smaller chalets no longer offer guided skiing (which caught us out in Courcheval this year). We did seriously consider finding other operators in the area, but did have another good experience this year (which was mainly down to the host).

If anyone can recommend other operators I'd be interested, but I'd be suprised if other operators aren't also making cutbacks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like you too were in Sonjons as well.They must have saved a lot as they do not use the flat on ground floor any more
Had an even worse holiday in Elaine in march.
Chalet staff (4 of them) did not speak to each other let alone punters.
One couple had to buy Cif to clean their bath on arrival.
Breakfast not laid up for day off despite their promise night before.
Sorry to say could not recomend them any morr
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffken, yes to Sonjon, but we did have full occupancy in both upper and lower chalets for the week. The host was super (and came out skiing with us off his own back), we were within a short walk of the lift. So much of the experience is down to the host and we have always been lucky with Silver Ski.

So, if not Silver Ski, who would you recommend (or at least try?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I should perhaps add that I had two extremely good holidays with Silver Ski this year (in Courchevel 1650 and 1850), which followed a good one in C1650 last year. So no complaints about Silver Ski from my experience, and that's why we want to go with them again next year. Recognise that so much is down to the Chalet staff and this varies from season to season (and maybe from day to day if there is a major falling out).

Just wondered what their chalets were like in La Plagne and thanks so much for contributions on this so far.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had great holiday with skifrance.Co.Uk in cvel 1850 in dec but na for my jan week in SONJON so will be using them in future
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in Sonjon in Jan 2010 and ski hosting wasn't included then, though as the other chalets weren't taking their full allocation we where able to join in on a couple of days. The chalet host Nick was brilliant. The Sliverski programme has shrunk over the last few years which must say something about how tough the market is. I recommended them to a friend of mine who went with them and his family at the end of January to La Plagne, can't remember the name but it had lots of steps and was ski in ski out, he raved about them from talking to the staff in the office, he liked the way they treated him and valued his custom as took care to make sure that he knew who else was in the chalet, they have children and he was worried about all the others being adults. My experience and I have only done about half a dozen holidays with them is that the chalet staff have always been good as has the ski hosting, though the two resort managers we met where a bit wet. I think that some of their chalets need a bit of updating, Sonjon probably being one, but it does have a good location and a great restaurant right next door
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Olympic, Chalet hotel Graciosa
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, ta' will bear it in mind for next year!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big Dave, Hello I worked for them in 2005/6 down in Plagne 1800. How big is your group? I would recommend Topaz in Plagne Soleil - on the piste, nice big chalet, in house ski guide BUT it is up a fair few steps! The other option is Chalet Saffron - smaller chalet but still close to slopes etc .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee, Thanks for the advice. We have about 10 at the moment but that could grow to perhaps 20.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big Dave, then Bon Coin would hit the spot. They always bag the best chef for that chalet too!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stayed in Chalet Boulevard this year. Space for 8 at a squeeze but 6/7 comfortably. Probably the best located chalet in La Plagne Centre... real ski in/out.

Not the biggest chalet but very good none the less
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Big Dave, Hello I worked for them in 2005/6 down in Plagne 1800. How big is your group? I would recommend Topaz in Plagne Soleil - on the piste, nice big chalet, in house ski guide BUT it is up a fair few steps! The other option is Chalet Saffron - smaller chalet but still close to slopes etc .

I'm staying in Topaz and can vouch for the steps. In theory there are eighty but the company responsible for clearing them has not done so properly meaning that the steps are basically a steep slope. Very hard work to get the bags up and certainly not looking forward to taking them back down.

Chalet is right on the Piste but it's a pretty tasty blue that would be a test for beginners.
snow report
Quote:

Recognise that so much is down to the Chalet staff and this varies from season to season (and maybe from day to day if there is a major falling out).

Ditto, even the best chalet companies will have variability, we had a very good week in La Tania with silverski last year, Ian and Trudi were the hosts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy