Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train travel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was just wondering if anyone had travelled by train to Italy (Bardonecchia) from London and how easy/difficult it was? I guess the basis would be Eurostar then TGV - any responses would be much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
powderpuppy, Its alot more expensive to go by train, compare with to take the flight,
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
powderpuppy, check out Man in seat 61 www.seat61.com, everything you need to know on train travel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done the journey twice to Oulx, which is the next station after Bardonecchia.

It involves:

London > Paris on Eurostar 2 hours 15 mins

Crossing Paris between Gare du Nord and Gare du Lyon on RER/Metro/taxi 45 mins

TGV leaving Gare du Lyon at 15:24 and arriving in Bardonecchia at 19:55. So a 4 and a half hour journey.

As long as you book literally three months before the date you can do the TGV for: €40-60 return. So possible to do return for £120.

Take a packed lunch and a bottle of wine for the journey and it will be a rather enjoyable one. Most difficult part of the journey is crossing Paris.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
freeheelskier, it need not be too expensive. As radar, says, check out Seat61.com. When you take in to account cost of skis, baggage, transfers etc the train is not always more expensive. Sadly I have found in practice that it usually is more expensive, but it's worth checking, especially if you can sort your life out and book 3 months in advance (no more, no less).

http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ is also worth checking out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
While walking the GR54 a few years ago we met a couple who had come down from Leeds by public transport. They left home early in the morning, traveled by train and bus, and were in Bourg d'Oisans by early evening. The price they quoted was fairly reasonable too.

By comparison, Bardonecchia should be a morceaux de gateaux as it's the next stop on the main TGV line to Modane.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy