Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

spine protection for kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After my five year bruised his spine quite nastily - overcooking it a bit, catching an edge and going down onto hardpack - I am considering spine protection for him and his (seven year old) sister.

I have started on research and info-gathering and have found that the FIS are considering making them compulsory for junior skiing (can't find anything definitive on this on the web can anyone clarify? thanks) and have found two types: solid strap-based (eg POC ergo and Dianese) and elastomer vest-based (eg POC VPD).

http://helmetsandarmor.com/blog/hab/article/ergo-flow-spine-protector-review
http://www.mountainblack.com/POCito-VPD-Spine-POC-armures-de-corps

I've read about the need for exact fitting (with armour too high up the neck, or riding up in an accident, creating greater risk of broken necks) and am intrigued by the different methods of function of the two systems (hard-panel systems working on load spreading; soft elastomer working on absorption) and the relative merits of straps (cooler, better fitting, more stable in the forces of an accident) versus vest based (more comfortable under a jacket, more likely to be worn in position on a youngster, but more mobile in an accident?).

Any views or refs to good websites? All help welcome...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
out twin 8yo girls fought daily over the smaller ortovox and deuter packs we have with built in spine protection and seemed to cope with them on lifts etc,

when one was taken out by an out of control skier in arc 2000 the pack seemed to help cushion the hit sustaining a rip but stopping anything hitting her
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My eldest son has two back protectors, one for riding and one for skiing. The former is very large, bulky, well padded and holds the torso very securly. The later is more like the spine protector you link to first with a flexible set of plates to spread a load and prevent over extension the 'wrong' way.

For skiing we have gone for an 'under the jacket' device secured with straps which is very similar to the first product. I just don't think jacket based solutions are any good as they don't seem to have the same ability to prevent reverse extension as they appear to be padding more than anything else and you need a lot of padding to have the same effect as plates. The horse riding jacket is an inch thick if not more. Backpacks have the same weakness plus the issue over lift safety.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndrewBailey, ..very helpful...many thanks...can see that reverse extension is an issue and forgot that when doing the post. Will email POC and see what they say about that in relation to the VPD product. Once again many thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bury them in the middle of a huge ball of cottonwool, that should do the trick. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski, ...er...not quite sure how to read the tone of your comment, but I don't think that I'm being overprotective....when I was a kid (in a farming community) a few kids were killed in avoidable accidents (one in a fall from a horse, an activity in which back and head protection is now very common), and the aftermath for the families was not nice to see. My kids have skied (sometimes on very busy pistes) since the age of 2 and a half, and we constantly expose them to loads of risks in the mountains (we climb as well as ski) but I like to manage those risks and to wear necessary protective gear (such as climbing helmets - loads of loose stuff where we are) and other gear (ice axes etc) when prudent.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski, I fell from a horse at the age of 20 and hit a tree stump and suffered a compresive fracture of 3 successive vertebrae (most painful thing I've ever sustained, childbirth was a doddle in comparison - the only thing to do was to scream). I've worn a back protector on horse back ever since and it's save me from many a painful fall. I can comprehend the OP's wish to consider something similar for her kids. I haven't gone down that route for mine yet, but if they do much more in the park I might consider it. A back protector is often something I wonder if I should buy for myself for skiing though - I still wear one for riding and often consider if I need the same for skiing. I guess snowboarders perhaps have more need, but I don't think the OP is being overprotective to look at the devices when I consider the pain endured after my own injury
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's pretty common for the junior skiers on the UK race circuit to wear back/arm protection: the Brand-X one sold by Chain Reaction is pretty popular, but known ski brands are also seen.

What FIS may be looking at probably relates to racers in the Children and (possibly) Junior categories.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2, my son wears this one http://www.dainese.com/uk_en/multisport-winter/back-protector-soft-kid.html?cat=75 No complaints from him, it's lighter and less bulky than others I looked at.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, ...more very helpful advice; many thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy