Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Topsheet protection?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I look after the skis of all my mates. Two of them have recently bought K2 Backups for touring. They seem to ski fine but appear to have very soft topsheets. Both owners have managed to damage the plastic around the heel when they've been unclipping the bindings. This is the worst example and the metal layer is clearly exposed after only two week's use.

Anyone managed a really good fix for this?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-04-11 13:26; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fill the holes with epoxy and cover with helicopter tape.

it's the stuff they put on the leading edges of rotors to stop damage to them. used widely in mountain biking to protect frames etc from stones/rocks being flung up.

will do this on my hardsides after seeing this!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, that stuff sounds good and it sure is reassuringly expensive.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Aerospace/Aircraft/Solutions/Boots/

However, it's intended for sticking on hard surfaces and protecting against erosion from rain and sand. Not sure it's appropriate for sticking on soft plastic whilst being poked, hard, by a tungsten carbide tip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis, What have they done the damage with - the tips of their ski poles where they've missed the release mechanism on the binding? If so and they are going to continue being careless it looks like they want some sort of buffer added to the ski in that area. Maybe it is possible to buy some sort of hard plastic and mount it with some sod-off good double sided sticky stuff. Thinking materials like redundant plastic membership cards, thick plastic containers, old bags as found in charity shops are often made of all sort of useful stuff, and are usually cheap enough to cut into, as are old shoes/wellys. It might be worth thinking outside the box for a material that could be stuck on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't imagine how you could cause damage like that while unclipping. What the feck are they doing Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, they are Freeride and Eagle touring bindings from Fritchi. Lots of fiddling is required when adjusting the height of the riser and, sometimes, frozen snow in the heel-piece means it's difficult to lock the thing into downhill mode. This is probably when it happens.

Megamum, I like the idea of a sacrificial credit card. I might pursue that one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scabs and scars are cool. Worrying about how your ski gear looks? Kinda gay. On touring skis the abuse the base is getting is nothing compared to the top, care? No. All of those little holes are just making the skis lighter, one scratch at a time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis wrote:
...Anyone managed a really good fix for this?

Why not take up skitape 's offer to me on this thread.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1654767&highlight=#1654767
I never took him up as I don't have a set of new planks.
It would make a nice Snowheadandshoulders test if your two mates were to cover one ski each with the tape and continue to hit them with their poles.
Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It seems that http://www.skitape.com/ is no more - perhaps he was giving away too many samples!

From the description it sounds as though it was helicopter tape by another name.

I think I'll have a go with self-healing cutting mat and see what happens - don't know how I'm going to cut it up though Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy