Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booster Straps - Over or Under?

Poster: A snowHead
I've used booster straps for about six or seven seasons now. I've always worn the strap under the front cuff of the boot, which seems to stiffen things up a little (and god knows I need all the help I can get).

Recently I've been told that all I'm doing is stiffening the liner and not the shell, and that by wearing it inside the cuff I could be giving myself an overly upright stance and moving my foot forward in the boot.

Whats the current wisdom on this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My understanding is that it's not so much stiffness but better response / performance i.e. the strap should not be too tight.

http://www.boosterstrap.eu/english/boosterinstructions.asp

Quote:
Attaching the Booster
Remove the old strap and keep the old fastening screws;
Wear the ski boot and place the Booster as showed in the picture, so that the elastic portion is placed above the tongue and under the plastic in the front and with the cam buckle facing outward. Place the strap in the rear plastic above the old holes;
Tension the strap by pulling it according to your preference while holding it on the back to keep the writing “Booster” in the front;
While keeping the preferred tension move the strap to center the writing “Booster” above the front tongue;
Make hole/holes in the strap with an awl in correspondence of the hole/holes in the plastic of the old strap;
Fix the Booster with the old screws.

Adjusting the Booster
For maximum performance the Booster strap should be routed outside the rear spoiler and inside the plastic shell up against the tongue in front
The elastic must be stretched to be effective. Begin by stretching 2 cm.
If on your very first turn you don't notice a dramatic difference in ski response the Booster strap is too loose or installed incorrectly
On the other hand, if after a few turns it feels like something is pushing you backwards the Booster is too tight
The greater the stretch the greater the performance enhancement. However be careful not to over stretch.
Adjust the tension according to your technique, discipline and snow conditions.
Keep in mind that as in any sport your skill level improves with experience so your Booster settings may vary with time.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-04-11 13:24; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, good question!

I fitted booster straps after the original velcro bits died on my boots - but have never been sure which way they should be fitted. I look forward to the experts' views!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't use a set, but I'd always assumed that they were designed to go on top - I shall look on with interest.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like Megamum, I'm interested in the answer. The original straps on my OH's boots are giving up the ghost and we were wondering about a booster strap. I'd always assumed they'd go on top, too - doing the same job as the original strap, but better.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, On race boots they just go around the liner, same as the original velcro strap.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, Do race boots have velcro straps in a diferent place? I thought they went over the front lip on this pic.

Whereas the the booster is "meant" to go under it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I put the booster under the shell and over tongue of the inner boot, like the piccy above.

On my race boots I have the original strap but it has a buckle like the booster, the strap is quite wide and seems to naturally fit over the shell, which is how I do it up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Could it be that racers are looking for something to stiffen up the boot (by putting pressure on the shell) whereas mere mortals are looking for something to transmit the slightest of movements from the leg to the liner, to the boot and finally to the ski? Racers may have them real tight whereas recreational skiers have them set so that they can be more easily streched.

Quote:
The elastic must be stretched to be effective. Begin by stretching 2 cm.
If on your very first turn you don't notice a dramatic difference in ski response the Booster strap is too loose or installed incorrectly
On the other hand, if after a few turns it feels like something is pushing you backwards the Booster is too tight
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think maybe the booster strap is designed to do a different job in as far as it's made of stretchy elastic whereas standard straps (including those on race boots, or at least mine) are not made to stretch.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, The current Head race boots have straps which are made by Booster and have some elasticity but go over the boot shell.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Philbo, as I say:
roga wrote:
or at least mine) are not made to stretch.

They're Atomics BTW Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had some added ot the race boots and they are as the pic above by Mosh Marc
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Around. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, smart back bottom
latest report
under or over it is personal preference,

putting it inside the shell will negate the "seat belt"effect... closing the gap between the soft liner and your leg, around the outside of the shell it leaves some play between the liner and your leg (depending on how tight you do the strap)
snow report
the atomic race boots i have use a wider but split booster , the top half sits on the liner and the lower bit on the top of the tongue cant say i notice any difference
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy