Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Castleford XScape now charging £1 to use lockers and crap snow!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went to have a slide today at Castleford and duly popped my £1 in the locker and thought no more of it.
When I had finished I noticed that my £1 was not returned as has usually been the case.
So it looks like Castleford XScape thinks us northerners are as willing to be stiffed as they do at Milton Keynes rolling eyes

To add insult to injury, the snow at Cas today was CRAP! The amount of snow they had scraped off for the rails etc and the resulting funneling of traffic left the place making me feel like I would have been better off on ice skates!
Sorry to rant, but seeing how much effort they put into preparing the slope for a small number of people resulting in the majority having to put up with a skied out slope before tea time is starting to make me seriously consider going back to dry slope skiing at Rosendale at a much reduced cost to myself.

If they want to be so anal, WTF cannot they make a big pile of snow and leave it at the top out of the way. Bring it onto the slope for each rail night, then push it back there out of the way till next time so saving the slope surface from being raped.
Even better - why don't they make life easy for themselves and just sink anchor points in the slope well below the surface, make the rails with dendrix ramps and side slopes and save all the labour required shovelling snow to reduce staff numbers if they want to make savings and give us punters a better standard of slope.

Sorry guys but today made me feel so down about skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, which lockers are you talking about? the ones right in front of ski hire give you your money back (or they did on Monday night).

without "big up" to the slope at cas too much, you don't want to try milton keynes at the moment. It is tonnes of sugar on shot ice.

personally i agree about the jumps etc, especially when they are still left in for our club session on sunday am. If they could keep to one side, like we do if we put a course of gates up, it would probably help. They are not there in the early part of the week though.

Thw slope seems to have a good layer 3"-5", with a 2"-3" icy layer, then back to good again below that. I don;t know why, but that is what we go through when putting in gates at the moment. It sounds like most of that good layer has been scooped up and put around the jumps Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

make sure you leave a note to richard (commercial manager) or katy (slope manager) about your feelings. The boarders have a loud collective voice, and are generally regular customers. If xscape think they are loosing more business than they are gaining, they will change tack.

I know that they are keen not put anything in the snow that could be left in when taking out later. eg they used to use a lot of big polystrene blocks for the volume until they found little bits that break off it end up blocking the water recycling pumps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lockers on friday didnt take the pound away, maybe you need to learn how to use them.

As for the snow condition, what were you expecting? Knee deep powder per chance?

The park toys are all at the sides which still gives a decent slope width so dont see what your gripe is
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rockyrobin, When we had our mini meet at Cas I found a pound in my locker Very Happy snowHead ......was it yours
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, i left one there. mine all mine...... i can prove it [by giving a description ]as well. It is round, and has some birds pcture on one side. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2plank, To wards the end of the month they increase the number of slides from 3 or 4 down one side to about 8 or 9 and have even had a large half moon slide in the middle before. They do this for the once a month special they do on the last Friday of the month. They start building about a week before on then fence off the slides taking even more space up. It becomes a nightmare when its busy especially if there are lessons on the main slope. This is the reason I don't go in the evenings and I steer clear of the end of the month as for the lockers it wouldn't surprise me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Freestyle is every thursday and friday with roughly the same layout each week apart from a few tweeks.

Look at it from xscapes point of view. The freestyle night brings a big crowd week in week out. Its guaranteed income of a sizeable nature. Plus i see it as a good use of the slope as other than for beginners learning it gets a lot boring.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulhothersall wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, i left one there. mine all mine...... i can prove it [by giving a description ]as well. It is round, and has some birds pcture on one side. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sorry mate, just tried to check and see if it was yours but seem to have spent it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2plank,
Quote:
Lockers on friday didnt take the pound away, maybe you need to learn how to use them.

I went last week also and they had not changed the lockers then. I think you will notice things have changed this week Wink They now have the outer casing on the coin tray on the cubicle lockers same as at MK.

Quote:
As for the snow condition, what were you expecting? Knee deep powder per chance?

For £30 I would hope to at least have a few inches of snow. It's ok with me dissing my comment Wink but I have heard this same complaint from a lot of people. If I was having a lesson on those conditions I would be asking for my money back. Its not as if they have much slope to maintain. Is it that they just cannot be bothered? If Milton Keynes can make an effort to produce a reasonable depth of snow i'm puzzled why Cas is different.

Quote:
The park toys are all at the sides which still gives a decent slope width so dont see what your gripe is

Yeah your right. Most of the time they are, but at the end of the month the slope does get crowded and funneled. If they were to make the remaining slope area well groomed it would be bearable, but when the rest of the slope is scoured for its snow and skied out its a bit much.
I feel sometimes that the opinions of customers at XScape don't matter. If you consider that the Freestyle guys are getting 3 hours for very little money I just feel its about time the regular punters got as good a deal with at least having good snow conditions to compesate for the inconvenience, or maybe a discount.

Quote:
Look at it from xscapes point of view. The freestyle night brings a big crowd week in week out. Its guaranteed income of a sizeable nature. Plus i see it as a good use of the slope as other than for beginners learning it gets a lot boring.

I'm curious - How many people are there? I would guess this would be substantially less than the weekly recreational skiers who are getting a poor deal in comparison. I'm not saying no freestyle should be had. I agree its good for Cas, but if the recreational skiers are getting a poor deal then it won't take much to encourage people to attend less like me and then everyone suffers.

Now there is no excuse for not grooming the slope every day. If the cost of running the piste basher was a problem before now it should be mitigated by the income they will now have from the lockers.

I'm not bitter Laughing Things will change when the competition gets up and running Wink

paulhothersall, Maybe I jumped the gun? I usually use the lockers by the hire desk myself but it was so crowded there I opted for the ones by the changing lockers which IIRC have the same mechanism. After seeing the casing I would assume the ones by the hire desk have had the same treatment. I'll have a look on Sunday to see if I can save my pound Laughing
If you see a rucksack clad slider on Sunday please try not to laugh at me Laughing

I'm looking at going to Rosendale in the next week or so. If my friend who also spends a lot of time at Castleford takes to it I can see us giving Cas a wide berth and just coming on Sunday mornings to keep the amount of money given to XScape to a minimum till they get their act together.

I'm having a Ski Excellence lesson at the beginning of August. My instructor is going to get so much chew off me i'm sure his bosses will get wind of it. Seeing how much I pay for this lesson I may have to consider withdrawing my attendance and money in protest Twisted Evil

Frosty the Snowman, I have been known to leave my pound coin in before now. Won't be doing that anymore. I may have to leave my thicky batton in there sometime as passing it on is getting more difficult Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy