Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheery 16 yr old Glasgow boy with DS needs ski-buddy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm a newbie here.
My son "J" is a fit and capable young college student with Downs Syndrome. We live in Kilsyth. He has been taking classes with DSUK for a couple of years. He has reached the point where he can ski on easy slopes at Braehead, he has skied at Aviemore and in New Zealand, and he is looking for a longer term 1:1 ski-support-buddy for future ski holidays. He is fairly independent, chatty, cheery and determined, and in a position to pay both peoples expenses to Scottish, European or wider destinations. Applicants must be willing to be police checked, live in the Greater Glasgow area, and have an affinity with young people. Initially we are looking at easy local days out ... there is no rush. Any ideas... do you know anyone who might enjoy free skiing?
Please keep personal details private and off-list.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excalibur, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I live a very long way away, but hope you find someone nice to keep "J" company. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excalibur, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead Fantastic that J has made such great progress and wants to go further (in all senses.....) Can DSUK offer any advice or suggestions as to suitable buddies? I ask as a DSUK instructor based at the Chill Factore mentioned that he had done something similar in the past - may be worth investigating. Good luck Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excalibur, welcome to snowheads. I'd suggest asking over on Winterhighland as well, as that's more oriented to scottish skiing
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/

hope you get something sorted!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excalibur, me again! You might also want to post on this area of the forum http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=44 - perhaps more chance of someone there being able to offer good advice, and there is also a poster from DSUK (Hollie) who may be helpful
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I've done that. But I wouldn't ever want the "disability" bit to come first: my lad doesnt even see himself as having a disability, he just likes to muck in with everyone else and, whilst slower to learn and having some difficulties explaining and understanding things, always seems to get there in the end. For example, he heads off by himself to our local boxing club to work out once a week quite independently, and is able to use public transport independently on familiar routes. He's also a very confident traveller, having visited NZ twice, Australia, Germany and Egypt on family visits, canoes his own boat, and has climbed two Scottish Munros as well as Cader Idris in Wales and The Old Man of Coniston in The Lake District - not bad achievements for any 16 year old, let alone one with Downs Syndrome.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Excalibur.

Whilst my reply doesn't deal directly with your question I thought you would like to know that Whistler Blackcomb has a fantastic offering for anyone with a disability. We have just returned and spent a great afternoon chatting to a chap from Sheffield who'd spent 3 weeks there doing sit-skiing (he was 84 !!!!!).

Hope it helps
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont think he has the kind of disability that needs any adaptive facilities, really. Hes pretty fit but his balance isn't that great. Frankly what he needs are fairly easy gradients to develop his confidence and a mate closer to his own age to go skiing with and have fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sounds a fantastic idea. im too far away to be any use to you (in kent) but a great way to get him out doing what he loves! good luck
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excalibur, Did you get anything sorted?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excalibur, Didn't see your post the first time. I'm too old but I wondered have you thought of taking J to one of the Ski clubs, either at Bearsden or at Bellahouston?

I've not been to either for years personally, Bellahouston still has Dendex slopes but Bearsden has Snowflex now on at least some of the slope.

I would reckon they will be your best bet for getting him in with a skier (s) of his own age group and hopefully find the right ski buddy for him?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excalibur, I'm 17 and live just outside Coatbridge. I'm planing on doing my BASI level one (Ski Instructors Course) this season. I'm hoping to head up north regularly this winter. I'd be more than happy to keep your son company and look out for him. I am an advanced skier but I love the sport and just being on the snow. If its something you guys would like to consider, let me know! I have a car so getting up is not a problem. I'm not going away anywhere this year as I don't have anyone to go with (Skint Students). I know I'm a year late but I look forward to hearing from you!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would send a PM just in case she hasn't read this post for a long time
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy