Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road bike or exercise bike ?

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided I need to improve my fitness a bit and am now swithering over whether to get a road bike or an exercise bike. Attraction of the exercise bike is that I can go and do half an hours solid hard work. A road bike would get me out in the open air, but may not generate as much work for the time spent on it, even in the hills of Angus, but should help build stamina and strength.

Any views ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
of those two, go road -you can always get a turbo trainer for indoor use (basically a roller you mount your backwheel onto so you can train statically - a bit noisy but does the job). best of both worlds, with emphasis on taking the real thing out and about. Check out cyclescheme to see if you can get a bike through that from work
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend a road bike too as its been pointed out you can get a turbo trainer to use indoors but still have the option of going outside when you have a few hours to spare. I also find riding outside much more enjoyable. plus you wont overheat as much!

The other indoor option is a set of rollers which are more compact to store and easier to set up than a turbo trainer as you dont need to attach the bike to the rollers you just need to balance the bike on the rollers. That said, rollers are scary the first time you ride on them, but I was surprised how quickly I got the hang of them. They are also good for making you cycle properly (evenly, straight, etc) so when you do ride on the road you will be much more efficient. I have Tacx rollers which I think were about £100 a few years ag0.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
deerman, Road bike and turbo trainer as barry, said. They are in sales now as the end of winter. Two things to get with the trainer, a front wheel block (makes the bike level) and perhaps a sweat towel thing, if you are going to use it alot, that goes between saddle and handle bars as you sweat like hell on the things and the bike rots away! You may also need a cheap rear wheel for turbo trainer as they eat tyres so fit it with a special turbo trainer tyre. (I think the rear wheel on mine was £17 from CRC)

snow_promise, is brave!!, i get bored on the turbo trainer and watch the TV! and used to do indoor racing on rollers....its entertaining if you fall off ie, dont! I would fall off a set of rollers now!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would recommend a road bike. You get to see the countryside as the seasons change. You get a varied workout as the road gradient and the winds change. You can cycle to the shops and back, or to the pub, or both. You can spend several hours exploring your neighbourhood, or travelling further afield.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain bike Toofy Grin

But, seriously, it depends on you. I use my mountain bike far more than I'd ever use an exercise bike. For example, I'm just enjoying replacing the 1500 calories I burned on a 2.5 hour late night off-road ride, and it's inconceivable that I'd ever work that hard on an exercise bike. But I'm an outdoorsy type and I ride my bike regardless of cold, rain, snow, ice or darkness. If you're a fair weather cyclist, get an exercise bike; if you love the British climate, get a road bike. Or, better, a mountain bike.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Exercise bike - far less likely to fall off and mash your face or smash your hand.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Exercise bike - far less likely to fall off and mash your face or smash your hand.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I dont't understand why mountain bikes are so popular in the UK as there are very few mountains here. However, getting an outdoors bike is a good idea. Getting a bike suitable for some off-road use is a great idea. There are many places where a pure road bike is not ideal, eg: canal and riverside paths, forest tracks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow_promise, carroz, how noisy are the rollers?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adrian,
Quote:

I dont't understand why mountain bikes are so popular in the UK as there are very few mountains here.

Mountain bikes are a bit of a misnomer the French description of all terrain bikes is better,plenty of attractive countryside to use them in UK if tis is what you enjoy.
As a bit of a fatty who is on the bike less than I should be I don't find hybrid bikes nearly as much used as either true mountain bikes or road bikes.

Personally I think the idea of a road bike and a turbo trainer would work well. Most people get bored with indoor cycling very quickly and to e able to get outdoors inthe good wather is a real bonus.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G, Rollers seem quite a bit noisier than a turbo trainer, work best on a hard floor, if you live in a flat.......pity the person underneath! Rollers also have no resistance like a turbo trainer does (well at least the ones i have used) so racing on them you used enormous gears.

With a turbo trainer i use a cheap heart rate monitor and a training scheme and the tv, plus a fan as it all gets a bit warm and boring!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
deerman,

Quote:

improve my fitness a bit and am now swithering over whether to get a road bike or an exercise bike

Not sure biking would be my first choice to improve fitness - I'd be inclined to go running or even better to some interval training. Biking is well know as very efficient mode of transport and therefore is not a particularly efficient way of improving fitness on an 'effect by the minute' measure. So my call would be running as more effective and cheaper. I do accept that biking is better on joints etc

A Concept 2 rowing machine however is a different kettle of fish - hard work out and easier on joints. Made huge difference to my fitmess (and bank account rolling eyes )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks carroz, was wondering if there is a less noisy option than a turbo trainer. Not sure why though, I do cycle every day out on the road...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Road bike.

You've got to be very motivated to use an indoor training bike properly as they are really boring.
snow conditions
alti - dude wrote:
deerman,

Quote:

improve my fitness a bit and am now swithering over whether to get a road bike or an exercise bike

Not sure biking would be my first choice to improve fitness

Cycling is better for your knees as you don't get the same shock through your legs. Also whilst cycling is very efficient, there are defintiely ways of making it far more strenuous than just cruising would be. Try sprinting to every 3rd lampost and then cruise til the next one and go again or something like that.

Adrian wrote:
I dont't understand why mountain bikes are so popular in the UK as there are very few mountains here.

Great Britain happens to be the country to beat on the world stage in downhill mountain biking. Actually I don't know any other sport in which a Brit is the most successful athlete ever. However Road cycling is waaaay more popular still. I don't know why though, I got bullied into doing a 40mile charity bike ride the other day and after the first 10 miles or so it just bagan to get tedious. Better than peadalling indoors though i guess.
ski holidays
The rollers aren't quiet but I wouldn't say they are excessively noisy. I use them on a wooden floor and the noise is a "whirry" type from the rollers rotating. There is no thudding from the rollers hitting the floor. I also live in an apartment and as of yet nobody has complained!
snow conditions
alti - dude wrote:
A Concept 2 rowing machine however is a different kettle of fish - hard work out and easier on joints. Made huge difference to my fitmess (and bank account rolling eyes )

I understand that you have to be a little careful with rowing machines. I read an article a while back about the training routines used by some of our successful Olympic rowers. They do use ergos a lot but it is a common misconception that rowing machines exercise all of the body.

Certain muscles are relatively little exercised such as the hamstrings and if I recall correctly, not as much good is done as you might think for your stomach muscles. The article emphasised that if you do use ergos, then it is important to do complementary exercises as well to avoid muscle inbalances.

By the way I am not a fitness instructor or physio, just a bloke that tries to stay fit, so perhaps someone with a bit more professional knowledge might like to comment.
snow report
Go MTB not Road - I've done both - and plenty of MTB stuff to do in the UK - as lots of snowHeads would attest.

Lots of cross-over skills with skiing, balance, line, turns etc - and less tedious that road biking
snow conditions
Quote:
Go MTB not Road
- naaah : go for roadie not MTB : I've got both (2 road, 1 MTB) & used the MTB only once last year and the roadie all the time. Go for something super light (& bling Smile ) & you won't believe the feeling - MTB feels like riding a lump of lead ( though it IS great fun for off-roading) - get both if you can afford it
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
Quote:
Go MTB not Road
- naaah : go for roadie not MTB : I've got both (2 road, 1 MTB) & used the MTB only once last year and the roadie all the time. Go for something super light (& bling Smile ) & you won't believe the feeling - MTB feels like riding a lump of lead ( though it IS great fun for off-roading) - get both if you can afford it
naah go for MTB not roadie. You can use an MTB on road (OK - it's heavier and slower but you did say that you want to get fit) but if you try to take a road off road you'll be left with an expensive mess of twisted metal and quite possibly a serious injury.

I commute daily on road, but it's a rare week that I don't do a fairly decent off-road trip that dwarfs my on road mileage. Each to his own, but you have more choices with an MTB
snow conditions
Quote:

but if you try to take a road off road you'll be left with an expensive mess of twisted metal and quite possibly a serious injury

I don't suggest you try this Toofy Grin but a great video.... good stuff starts about 1minute in - filmed at Rest Bay (Porthcawl) , and Bristol amongst others

http://youtube.com/v/5z1fSpZNXhU

Worth watching right to the end - amazing...!
snow conditions
I second the MTB choice for on-road use. You have to work harder to get the same speeds as you would on a road bike. Good for building strength, endurance and fitness.

Having suspension, at least on the front, does help with the roadworks scars too - and jumping pavements or other obstacles when you need to take evasive action.
ski holidays
Adrian wrote:
I dont't understand why mountain bikes are so popular in the UK as there are very few mountains here. However, getting an outdoors bike is a good idea. Getting a bike suitable for some off-road use is a great idea. There are many places where a pure road bike is not ideal, eg: canal and riverside paths, forest tracks.

Maybe it's because the UK has some fantastic World class singletrack, especially in Wales and Scotland, but also plenty of top class trails in England too from the South Downs right through to the Lake District.

But back to the main topic, exercise bikes are probably the most boring way of getting fit ever conceived. They really are mind numbingly boring and you have to spend hours on them to make any real difference. Trust me it will sit there gathering dust for years after the first couple of hours use. Only the most dedicated bike racers can tolerate relentless hours of pounding on a bike machine or rollers in order to be competitive. Riding a real bike outside, whether on or off road is infinitely more rewarding, but also takes a fair bit of time commitment. If you simply want to get fit with minimal time and expense then swimming is hard to beat as an all round exercise. But biking is good for sure if you have the time and inclination. But forget the exercise bike unless you are massively motivated to spend an absolute minimum of 30 mins a day on it - which I bet you won't for more than a month max. before you top yourself through boredom.
snow conditions
If you are planning to get out through the week you might want to consider a touring bike with mudguards and a hub dynamo (more powerful and less hassle that the run off your tyre wall type) so that the darkness or damp weather doesn't put you off. A cross trainer is less boring than an exercise bike - if you do go for an exercise bike then a shelf for books so you can read might make it a lot less boring.
latest report
DB wrote:
.... if you do go for an exercise bike then a shelf for books so you can read might make it a lot less boring.

If you can read, you aren't trying hard enough wink

Unless it's laminated, a book wouldn't survive the sweat dowsing it's going to get.
snow report
DB wrote:
If you are planning to get out through the week you might want to consider a touring bike with mudguards and a hub dynamo (more powerful and less hassle that the run off your tyre wall type) so that the darkness or damp weather doesn't put you off.
If you want a light, you want one of these. Brighter than a car headlight so you can effortlessly hurtle down dark forest tracks in pitch darkness. Fabulous!
ski holidays
Until they do one of their periodic battery recalls. Ay ups or Troutlights FTW.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones,

The really bright lights tend to be expensive or have short run times (e.g. P7 types are great for short downhills on the mountainbike). Always making sure you have charged batteries etc can be a bit of a pain. The new hub dynamos are plently bright enough - I run a 40 lux but new 80 lux lights are available now, you never have to worry about uncharged or failing batteries etc.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/lumotec-hub.html
snow report
As I have both a snowboard and skis, I thought it only right that I should have both road and MTB bikes! Iam off to the Alps again in July to do the http://www.letapedutour.com and have only just found out Ste Foy opens to MTB's that weekend as well.
Jonny Jones, I have that light as well, brilliant.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, or get the light from the US and save lots (as I and 4 others did)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-sxo-3-mode-900-lumen-led-bike-light-set-44459
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Jonny Jones, or get the light from the US and save lots (as I and 4 others did)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-sxo-3-mode-900-lumen-led-bike-light-set-44459

I use a 900 lumen Ultrafire torch with a handlebar mount bought from the same site. It works brilliantly and only cost abput £15.
snow report
kitenski, I bought mine from DE too - cheaper, and the UK site was out of stock - but I waited 8 weeks for delivery and I think the protection of UK consumer law is worth a few quid. It's a classic convenience vs price dilemma. Great light though, and run times aren't really an issue - it easily does me for two weeks commuting, a lengthy trip round the local off road stuff or a lap around the Afan trail centre.
snow conditions
Well, I've splashed out and bought myself a road bike again (a Forme Rapide), picked it up from the shop on Friday and rode it home. Initial impressions: what a difference from the old steel bike I had 10+ years ago! It's light and lively, takes little effort to push it along, and a delight to ride, except for one aspect...................... the tyres must be pumped up to well over 100psi as I felt every tiny bump and I had pins and needles in my hands after the 8 mile run home, even wearing gel gloves. Need either a set of wider tyres or a few PSI less in the ones it came with.

Now all I need is the cycling shoes and matching lycra to go with it. OH's comment to our son - so he's out of thermals and into lycra !
ski holidays
You wouldn't be feeling those bumps if you'd bought a mountain bike Wink
snow conditions
deerman, just run the tyres a few psi less, and play around with stem height, saddle position etc to get more comfortable, it will take a little while to get used to it.
ski holidays
Having dusted off my mountain bike for the first time this year at the weekend, and peddled up the Jura Mountains behind my house to see the Time Trial of the Tour de Romandie, I can vouch for how good a workout it was....so good in fact I had to stop halfway for a much needed lie-down (pretending I was just taking in the amazing view of Lake Geneva for any passing road bike users)

Seriously considering a road bike now as although my Mountain Bike is brilliant off-road, for hilly climbs on road it is a bit of a struggle at times.
ski holidays
If your goal is purely fitness, then get a road bike: it's much easier to control cadence, calories burnt, hear rate etc. However, if you want an element of fun and a technical challenge involved, then get an MTB. Just don't fall off and smash your hand or everyone will laugh at you. The UK has some genuinely world-class riding
snow conditions
el nombre, I already have a mountain bike, but I wouldn't take it out on the open road for any distance.
snow report
So for someone who doesn't want to buy 2 (or more!) bikes at the moment what would the wise gurus here recommend?

My riding is mostly on paved roads (well the bits between the potholes are paved anyway) including a few of the steepish hills we have around here.

But also on off-piste trails along rivers and canal banks, that sort of thing.

No gnarly rocky mountain stuff.

MTB's strike me as heavy beasts and the tyres aren't great for roads, although the suspension sounds good.

Road bikes are too racy? or touring? oriented, tyres don't look as though they'd survive many trails, and gearing a tad high for the steepish bits?

Hybrids - seem to have same tyre and maybe gears problem as road bikes?

What about these "cycle cross" bikes, what are they? Would one be a good compromise machine for the above?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy