Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet design

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What is the best helmet to avoid looking like a nob with a bullet shaped head?

I have a Giro 9 and it just makes me look like a connonball. Is there a different helmet out there? Ok you may say it is just me and my head BUT the same effect is not there in my Motorcycle helmet. Are ther full helmets out there, you know with full ear covering and a reasonably low rear to the hat?

Any (constructive) suggestions welcome, although i realise that I am setting myself up here somewhat...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had the same issue with the Giro 9. If the G9 fits you well then try the new Giro Seam - it's an excellent piece of kit especially if you want a lot of venting - but it has a far better external shape than the 9. The goggle vent in the small peak works really well. The Giro Shear is the same helmet but the girlie version.
http://www.invodo.com/Giro-The-Seam/p/QK72ORQZ
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go full face.

You look a bit of a cock snowploughing the greens, but hey you look the dogs in the queue! wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maersk wrote:
Are ther full helmets out there, you know with full ear covering and a reasonably low rear to the hat?

As it happens, Sweet protection do one like that here
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies.

Full face........................

snigger..............
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maersk, ...I'd avoid helmets with solid cheekpieces for two reasons. Firstly, they attenuate hearing a lot more. This annoys people you are with and in some contexts can be a safety issue - 'don't go that way!!!!' or 'you're going to die!!!!' can't be heard. Secondly, they probably increase the possibility of rotational brain injury - I've posted on this before - where anything 'grabby' on a helmet can cause twisting, and this increases the likelihood of rotational injury, a serious form of brain injury. This is a recognised and researched area in cycle and motorcycle helmets (and there are plenty of resources on the internet on this issue) and, in the last decade or so, helmets for these activities have been designed to avoid it.

Personally, I have a G9 (seldom wear it since my partner immediately starts up with the Dambuster themetune...) and in preference wear my Giro Fuse (lovely helmet, light and with closeable vents). Nice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maersk, Sweet helmets are nice ... but expensive and most of them don't seem to have much ventilation (the two reasons I didn't buy one).

I ended up with a Smith Variant Brim - which I like a lot and might be worth a look?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2, I'm a little confused, it seems unlikely that having solid ear pieces would increase the chances of "grabbing" much. Could well be wrong, just doesn;t seem that likely to me. There's no way around having an edge to a helmet, the solid ear piece will make a slightly longer edge but surely its not that different.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
Maersk, ...I'd avoid helmets

Good advice, IMHO.... horrible things.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
el nombre, Calm down dear... trolls need to eat too Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
el nombre, I'm sure I work with her...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
el nombre, thanks for the comment...it's an interesting point...there's been a great deal of time spent in motorcycle helmet research depts, looking at ensuring that nothing on a helmet encourages grabbing of any sort, to make sure that a helmet presents impact forces (at which they are excellent at absorbing) and no torsional forces (which they are not). The worry is that in slow accidents a helmet can increase rotational injuries, which occur at remarkably low energy intensities (see the second site below). Snowboard style helmets do have an edge, as you suggest, but this is often pretty recessed. Look at the front edge of a GIRO helmet such as the FUSE and it's no accident (sorry for the pun) that the front edge is very contoured - this is not just a function of the material of which the helmet is made, it's a design feature. Some of the older style helmets have quite protruding cheek pieces and although there's been no specific research on them, they are the kind of potential twisting mechanism which has been removed from motorcycle helmets. But I can't be definitive since the research has no been done. The worry though, is the low intensity of the forces required to initiate rotational injury.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1182.html
http://www.phillipshelmets.com/ROTATIONAL_HEAD_INJURY.htm
http://www.access-legal.co.uk/legal-news/new-cycle-helmet-could-protect-against-rotational-injuries-lu-2694.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy