Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for multi resort location

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Our group stayed in Val D'Isere this year but did a day trip to Paradiski which has whetted our appetite to try out a multi resort trip next year. We drive to the Alps, so getting to and from resorts itsn't an issue.

Ideally we would be looking to stay in one resort, but then travel to a couple of other resorts during our week.

So far I have come up with Chamonix / Les Contamines / Megeve (think that is feasible), but does anyone have any other ideas of resorts that make good bases for trips to multiple resorts?

Thanks

K
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ste Foy Tarentaise is convenient to all the Tarentaise resorts by car
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Radstadt and stay with Flangesax, a multitude of good resorts around all with excellent and free parking.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-04-11 15:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les 2 Alpes/Alpe d'Huez/La Grave/Serre Chevalier are all doable from eachother.

Briancon is good for Serre Che, Montgenevre, Puy St Vincent etc
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kosciosco, your suggestion is definitely feasible, and you could throw in Flaine (etc) and Courmayeur (through the tunnel) and a few others as well. IIRC Courmayeur is on the Mt Blanc lift pass.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zillertal? Hochzillertal, Zell am Ziller, Mayrhofen, Hintertux (plus some small resorts that aren´t in British tour op. brochures) Zell am Ziller would be roughly in the middle and would be within about 30 minutes drive of all the other places.
SkiWelt? Off the top of my head I can´t think of what resorts would be included but I know passes are available that cover several resorts.
Innsbruck?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bourg St Maurice loads of places plus Les Arcs 10 mins up the funicular snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kosciosco, if you want to go a bit further off the beaten track, Praz sur Arly (Espace Diamant), Areches-Beaufort (particularly if you like off-piste, though local advice advisable) La Giettaz/Combloux/Megeve

Innsbruck would be an attractive base.

Lauterbrunnen?

Somewhere on the Sella Ronda?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about any of the resorts in the Aosta Valley? or Aosta town itself. there are a number of resorts there that are easily accessible from each other
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go back to the Maurienne valley and get a sans frontieres pass:
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/fr/il4-maurienne,bougez_p38-ski-maurienne-sans-frontieres.aspx

A total of 19 resorts to go at. Some of them are very small but, none the less, sweet and Valloire/Valmeinier is pretty big too. Stay down in the valley somewhere cheap and travel up and down by car.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Maurienne pass is ridiculously good value and great fun, main thing to be aware of is that you have to use the pass in different resorts(although you can get a half price day pass for a second day in any resort) It does involve quite a bit of driving, no problem when I have done it in late season but in early season there are a lot of narrow and potentially very slow and icy roads.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LE2Alpes, Alpe duez, La Grave, Serre Chevalier.
BOomtime.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For good skiers:

Verbier + 4 Valleys, Bruson, Chamonix, Hellbronner and Courmayeur all included on Mont Blanc Unlimited pass. Unbeatable in decent conditions. Base yourself in Chamonix with 45 min drive to Verbier/Bruson and 30 mins (free bus or drive) to Hellbronner/Courmayeur.

As above, 2 Alpes, La Grave etc is supposed to be another great area.

Or St Anton with all its connected villages?

What's your groups ski level and preferred type of resort?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would second the Chamonix idea, the MBU pass is perfect for this, three resorts in the Chamonix valley plus Verbier and Courmayeur. Another less ambitious alternative would be the Montafon in Austria, totally charming, non of the St Manton excesses but four resorts all within easy drive and on one pass.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would second the Chamonix idea, the MBU pass is perfect for this, three resorts in the Chamonix valley plus Verbier and Courmayeur. Another less ambitious alternative would be the Montafon in Austria, totally charming, non of the St Manton excesses but four resorts all within easy drive and on one pass.
snow conditions
i quite liked Mayrhoffen this year. on it's own i wouldn't have been that into it, but with the valley train and bus system linking up to hintertux, eggalm, zell am ziller and a couple of other separate resorts it was really convenient and different.
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
Les 2 Alpes/Alpe d'Huez/La Grave/Serre Chevalier are all doable from eachother.

Briancon is good for Serre Che, Montgenevre, Puy St Vincent etc

Another vote for that area. SOPiB11 was located at Monetier - and that worked out very well.
ski holidays
I'd second the Bourg Sainte Maurice idea.

La Rosiere, Val D'Isere, Tignes, La Plagne and Sainte Foy are all within easy driving, and the funiculair takes you up to Les Arcs.

Happy holidays!
latest report
stay in Bride Les Bains or Champagny en vanoise...

That gives you lift access to meribel or la plagne respectively - then a 20 minute drive to the other access point. Should be enough skiing for a week.
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
stay in Bride Les Bains or Champagny en vanoise...

That gives you lift access to meribel or la plagne respectively - then a 20 minute drive to the other access point. Should be enough skiing for a week.

Pralognan is also an easy drive from either resort. Val Morel is a little further but worth considering.
snow report
Bourg st Maurice must be the best choice. 7 minutes to Les Arcs, about 15 t0 La rosiere, 20 to St. Foy, 30 Tignes/Val d'Isere, 40 to Bozel, Courchevel, etc.

I cannot think of anywhere near as close to so much top quality skiing.

John
snow conditions
kosciosco, Another eason for Chamonix / Verbier / Courmayer is the very different areas they are all in- one pass but three distinct areas, different sides of the Alps, exposed to different weather - with more chance of snow.
snow report
They are plenty of choices

Bourg st Maurice for the 1600km piste in tarentaise (needs two weeks to go over Tiges/Val D/La Rosiere/Sty Foy/Les Arcs/La Plagnes/Courchevel/Meribel/Val Thoren/Valmorel)
Dolomites (Main area Sella Ronda but loads of satellite resorts, 12 areas in total, around))
Zillertal Valley (about 6 unlinked areas ok to stay anywhere but Mayrhofen is the cental point))
Solden/Obergurgl/Stubai (2 Valleys)
Slivretta Valley Ischgl/Samnaun/Kappl/See/Gautur also day trip to Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis or St Anton
Briancon for Milky Way/Put St Vincent/ Risoul/Vars/Serre Chevalier/L2A/LDH (need to stay additionally in L2A for L2A/LDH)
Flims/Laax/Fadera/Davos/Kloster (two major locations)
St Moritz and Livigno (St Moritz has 3 unlinked areas but day trips possible to Lenzerheide, Livigno and Savognin)
Ski Welt (8 resorts linked at the top plus Kitzbuhel (can be done by staying near Westerndorf)
Ski Amade (huge amount of choices for at least 3 weeks. Just needs a car)
Colorado - Arapahoe basin/Keystone/Brenkenridge/Vail/Beaver Creek/Copper Mountain/Aspen's 4 unlinked resorts (about 10 days needed for two locations)
Vermont - Killington/Stowe/Sugarbush/Smuggler Notch (need to stay in 2 locations)
Generva area staying at French or Swiss side of Porte Du Soleil, Chamonix or Cervinia and you can also ski Grand Massif (Flaine/Samoen/Le Caroz), Domaine Evasion (Megeve, St Gervais), Zermatt (from Cervinia), Verbier (4 valleys), Crans Montana, La Cluza/Grand Bornand, La Thulie/La Rosiere etc.

Each one has its own attraction. Austria is made for skiers with a car as parking is always free and plentiful (assuming you know how to access the domain or go there early enough) American resorts are poor value for money. Snow wise in descending order in my own experience is Austria, Italy, Switzerland with France at the bottom.

The down side is after a few trips you will get bored by staying the whole week in just one resort.

I used to ski only around Chamonix when I got a static caravan there. The poor snow and crowd in France drove me further away and eventually to other Alpine countries. I went back this year to ski Montgenvre/Risoul/Serre Che/L2A & LDH. They were no comparision with Austria's Stubai/Solden/Obergurgl which I went the week earlier.
latest report
I'd second Aosta, which also gives the options for Chamonix for a day. Plus La Thule \ Le Ross, CMY, Pila, Crevicol, Monta Rossa, etc. etc.
snow conditions
T Bar,

Agree with Maurienne suggestions - lots of good smallish resort that would each keep you going or a couple of days - Valloire is longer than that and of course the Orelle route into 3V

Quote:

there are a lot of narrow and potentially very slow and icy roads

Reasonable point in theory but in practice, not much of an issue and likely to be the same wherevr you go for a multi resort trip. I would get used to snow chains though just in case !
snow report
I'd endorse the Ziller Valley - stay in Mayrhofen and take the bus/train/car to (or ski to some of) the other areas nearby - Fuegen, Hochfuegen, Kaltenbach, Zell am Ziller, Gerlos, Finkenberg, Lanersbach, Koenigsleiten, Hochkrimml and Hintertux.

The Aosta Valley in Italy would also be a great choice - Pila, Courmayeur, Gressoney, Champlouc, La Thuile/La Rosiere and Cervinia/Zermatt all in striking distance!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy