Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

will there be snow in whistler this year?

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone who understands weather help?
We're thinking about going to whistler in march next year. Does the fact that there was a distinct lack of snow last year have any implications for this - as the levels left at the end of the season will presumably be much less than normal? Sorry this sounds like a bit of a strange question but I'm starting from a point of absolute ignorance about snow conditions and weather in general...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
March should be fine. Apart from the glaciers, it all melts, and they play golf in the summer on the slopes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there was plenty of snow (higher up the mountain anyway) when i went this year
snow report
 brian
brian
k, how long is a piece of string ?

It probably does have implications. Unfortunately our understanding/ability to model the weather is currently nowhere near a level that would allow us to understand them. So you pays your money ....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
k, I would not worry. I went in March in the so called poor season. Last season was indeed out of the ordinary but with the artificial snow coverage they keep as much open as possible. In fact we lucked out and it snowed the day we arrived onwards and we had knee deep powder most mornings The way I look and taking into account the laws of propabilities (is there such a law?!) the chances of such a bad season hitting again is pretty slim. I also think with the advent of the winter olympics in 2012 the snow cannons will only increase from season to season. It is one of the best places to go and ski/board so just book it!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for that. Now just have to decide between banff - I prefer the skiing/town but not the ski bus - or blowing the budget slightly in whistler....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
k, blow the budget just slightly I say....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whistler is a low town with a damp temperate climate. Prevailing weather means that it gets warm moist air off the sea which as it hits the colder land rises, cools, and precipitation falls. Much of the time at village level this falls as rain. Fortunately, as temperature drops as you go up the mountains and the mountains are reasonable higher, higher up is snows. The rain/snow threshold is what is important. This year it spend too long just a tad too high.

At the resorts a little further inland, the climate is drier but cooler, this means there is (a bit) less snow but it is (quite a bit) more protected against warm weather.

We've been going to various part of BC (not always Whistler) for almost 10 years, and you can never be sure much in advance what the weather is going to be like - you are going to have to 'risk' it. Some times we've had locals really apologising for the conditions, but it's seemed fine to us (on one trip there was only 1m of snow instead of the usual 3m, but it was very skiable).

However, poor snow has its advantages: anyone you is leaving their trip until the last minute probably ends up deciding not to go, so what snow there is is shared between less people.

Just go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
k, Blow the budget apart - choose Whistler - you will not regret it for a second - IMHO the best resort bar none snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
doogo, but that budget could be used to give more ski days in Europe
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for the advice - have now booked 2 weeks in whistler in march.....found a bargain deal that would have been rude not to take up....
And as cheaper than expected have also arranged a week in les arcs....
life's a b.. sometimes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr k looking at possible trip there too. What deal ??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickW
just checked the website that we booked on and the price has gone up hugely- now approx £850pp for a fortnight in march - think that we must have taken the last of the cheap seats....sorry
we booked a neilsen s/c holiday at the holiday inn sunspree - have been there before and know it's ok and easily walkable to the lifts.
Booked it though thomas cook on line - much cheaper than neilsen itself for a room for two although exactly the same holiday.
Also managed to wangle a free flight change (usually £75 supplement) - instead of zoom from gatwick (31" seat pitch) we are flying air canada from heathrow (34" seat pitch) by grovelling a lot and threatening to book with someone else
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good luck with Air Canada having a 34" seat pitch. When my parents flew with them, they said it was narrower than Ryan Air Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elizabeth B,

We fley air canada last Nov 9hrs to Calgary. It was very comfortable Very Happy
snow conditions
The calgary flight is on an older plane and is somewhat less busy (typically) than the like of the vancouver..... i certainly didnt have trouble with the calgary flight.

Adam
latest report
Our plane was a pretty new A330
snow report
johnboy wrote:
Our plane was a pretty new A330

I dont recall exactly which plane our was, but i know it had no back of seat lcd screen and entertainment was provided by an ancient projector, so I assume it was an older plane!

I thought the calgary flight had one plane (given family going that route has always been on that plane). You were away early on in the season if my recollection is correct (bizarre that i recall, possibly the early season jealousy was memorable!), so perhaps they change planes for the winter going on the assumption of less traffic....

Adam
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
k,

Like Mouth, I was in Whistler last March (where weparticipated in a Snowheads gathering in the GLC) and I'm going back again next March.

See you (and any other Snowheads) on the slopes!

buns,

Quote:

dont recall exactly which plane our was, but i know it had no back of seat lcd screen and entertainment was provided by an ancient projector, so I assume it was an older plane!

I thought the calgary flight had one plane (given family going that route has always been on that plane). You were away early on in the season if my recollection is correct (bizarre that i recall, possibly the early season jealousy was memorable!), so perhaps they change planes for the winter going on the assumption of less traffic....

Aaaaaaah the good old AC851 from Heathrow: I think Air Canada upgraded their plane last year. The best thing about the old plane was that there were only two window seats, which meant not having to climb over someone every time you needed a pee.
latest report
That sounds like it...... sounds alot like they put the old plane into service during the quieter months
snow conditions
I have flown AC every season (winter and occasionally summer), and they just dont have seat back screens, have not yet done that at all.

However, and way more importantly, only 78 sleeps until i hit Whistler Very Happy

Will be back in March too.
snow conditions
Robbie, Not again!!! Where have you been all summer?? Little Angel
latest report
Hee hee, but of course! Hi Mouth, BTW.

Am sorry, have been very slack over the summer, out playing on my new bike, so time to get my snow-head back on!!!!!!!
snow report
Robbie, Should have known that a post on Whistler would have brought you out of hiding and made you get off that bike! Unfortunately won't be shring in the countdown this year as other plans but will be watching the posts with envy!
snow report
giggle, you know me far too well!!!

Will try my best to keep you updated on number of sleeps. Sorry to hear you wont be there this season though. Do you have some plans in place elsewhere?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 29-09-05 16:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Robbie, Yes indeed. Having a place built in France which should be ready in December so this season all my trips will be there. NehNeh Very excited as you can imagine
snow conditions
Oooh oooh oooh, of course. OK, that is hugely exciting. Very Happy
ski holidays
Robbie, Actually just worked out it is 81 sleeps for me... see what you have got me doing! Razz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hee hee, my work here is done!
snow report
I'm off to Whistler early January (son at uni needs to be back for start of term) and I'm hoping for a good snow year. Have skied LL/Sunshine for last few seasons so looking forward to a change

January usually has 160-200+ cms of snow, though last year was 45!

March looks a safe bet with 100+ cms though March 02-03 must have bben great with 336!!!

Just thinking about new skis at the moment and lots of snow. Hope it all comes together.

Determined to enjoy it whatever.
snow conditions
The snow in March 2003 was great.

Going back in December for a pre-christmas trip. Let's hope they have a good start to the season!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy