Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Steep Vanoise 2011 (belatedly) (warning: lots of pics)

Poster: A snowHead
There have been too many dear diary posts about people's disappointing holidays so, rather than moaning about it even more, here are some pics from my last ski trip of the season. it was end feb/early march - the humanity!!

Pics are by me, Paul and offpisteskiing
Participants were GrahamN, me and Paul, ably led by Offpisteskiing

We all travelled down by Eurostar to Paris then the sleeper to BSM. This was OK although I got fleas on the way home Sad It did allow us 8 days' skiing for only 6 nights accommodation.

First couple of days we rode the endless lift up from Brides les Bains and skied around the 3Vs. Hadn't been too much snow but we managed to tick off something of the back of Mont Vallon and a Lac du Lou itinerary. It actually snowed on the second day Shocked

Day 1 proper of the trip - 3 Valleys

I thought it was going to be dust on crust but it turned out to be a foot or so of cold fresh pow and you didn't bottom out too much. Simon took us to all sorts of place round the 3 Vs, the names of which I can't remember but here are some pics:

GrahamN

Paul

Me

For the last run we did something off the Mont du Vallon which took you down under the Aid du Fruit. Here's one of me with the Aid du Fruit in the background

It was a bit of a bushwhack in places. Here is me demonstrating that DPS W112s are highly adept at kickturns

Paul is happy with the first day

Day 2 - N Face of Bellecote (Steep Vanoise would not be complete without it...)

We opened the Canadiens Coulour. Again, it wasn't perfect pow all the way but it was pretty dam good...

GrahamN and Offpisteskiing scope the Cairn Couloir

Acting like a dick prepares me mentally for this sort of thing

StraightChuter wrote:
In the right conditions, one of the coolest things about steep skiing is that it can almost be effortless as you hardly need to unweight at all to send yourself flying into space on a 50-degree slope. Once you unweight, there is a brief moment when you are suspended above the snow, facing straight down the hill and completely airborne. This is the stuff that causes people to become terminal ski bums.

steep pow Cool

GrahamN contemplated another several 100ms of goodness

Offpisteskiing looks on

From whence we came

Sadly, things went downhill from here. Last time I did this run, the infamous avalanche debris funnel was free of debris. We weren't so lucky this time and had a good old bushwhack to get to the bottom

The only downside to the Bellecote is that you have to ride a lot of lifts to get there and out again. However, our day was not done and we managed to squeeze in a couloir which Simon had spotted from a lift numerous times but never skied. We called it... Couloir Mythique

Cool views getting over to it

In it - snow was a bit sun affected but still pretty good

Making turns is terribly selfish and WASTES POWDER!!!
Cool

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-04-11 23:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 3

is already documented here:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74782

Day 4 - St Foy

We went to check out the classic N Face of the Foglietta. I actually managed to sink a tip on my banana skis and ate it big time on numerous occasions. Still, it's a fun day out even if you are skiing like a loser:

You have to skin for about 40 mins from the top of the St Foy lifts to access the face. Here is me at the top of the face giving it some big chat to Simon while also looking slightly camp

This is an example of how the camera lies. I don't look too bad but in fact I was skiing like a tool

Here is a pic of Paul eating a slab of Reblochon

I was disappointed Simon hadn't got hold of one of these stickers for his car

Final Day - Working the Saulire Couloirs

Simon posing for the Salomon catalogue Wink

Some interesting bootpacking required - not helped by the low snow levels

Skiing

Having done the Courchevel side of the Saulire, we checked out the Freeride Face. A sweaty bootpack gave us access to the obvious couloir running from L to R

Paul in the couloir

Next we checked out a little chute skier's L of the Tournier Couloir. Me about to drop in to the access point

Just after this picture was taken, GrahamN lost a ski, only to see it sail 300m down the couloir. He had to descent the rest on his backside and in his honour we named the couloir "Gratte Cou"

There was still time for Paul to round the week off by being a dick in front of the slopeside Chanel shop in Courchevel

That's all folks! It's way past my bedtime

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-04-11 23:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

GrahamN contemplated another several 100ms of goodness

Ooooohh that looks like fun!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, great pics, and cheers for the good ski vibe Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic fun and reporting! You certainly made excellent use of some good conditions...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the pics Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice. I fancy some of that next year.
Quote:

StraightChuter wrote:
In the right conditions, one of the coolest things about steep skiing is that it can almost be effortless as you hardly need to unweight at all to send yourself flying into space on a 50-degree slope. Once you unweight, there is a brief moment when you are suspended above the snow, facing straight down the hill and completely airborne. This is the stuff that causes people to become terminal ski bums.

true snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent stoke, thanks!

So.... did Graham have you on a leash for the entire trip then (second pic, day 2)? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great report. Looks like a great week!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent report - looks like you had a Wailer of a time!

Just shows how , when everyone else is crying about the poor snow, offpisteskiing can find all the nooks and crannies with loads of the stuff.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is unpossible. Everyone knows it didn't snow in Europe this year FACT! Nice photoshop skills.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for putting that lot up, it makes for a great read.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Next we checked out a little chute skier's L of the Tournier Couloir. Me about to drop in to the access point

Shocked Shocked great stoke but remind me to never ski with you guys, very scary lines...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Acting like a dick prepares me mentally for this sort of thing
Laughing excellent
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nice trip Arno, the Saulire couloirs bring back happy memories...
ski holidays
nicr TR, so the 'nanas were ok in steep tight stuff??

Did Paul get new skis???
ski holidays
kitenski, the nanas were very good for that - they are so easy to turn. i wondered whether the relatively short sidecut might put me into carves when i didn't want to but that didn't turn out to be a problem. not sure whether my technique can take credit for that or whether the rocker helped

Paul finally got some Scott Powdairs and for some reason mounted Dukes on them. Light ski + heavy binding doesn't make much sense to me but if anyone can break dynafits, Paul would be that person Laughing
latest report
Like it. Thanks for posting.
latest report
Great stuff - you can't go wrong on an www.offpisteskiing.com trip... Cool

Wonder what he is planning for next year Toofy Grin
snow report
Arno, great pics, good to St Foy on the list Very Happy
snow report
Arno, fantastic TR. Is Paul the guy with the classic brown denim ski pants?
ski holidays
BobinCH, yup that's him, and fetching leather lady killer jacket for evening wear Wink
ski holidays
kitenski, Wasn't he going ski touring in Greenland? Why On earth did he stick Dukes on Powdairs?

Ps glad to see you got some fresh in St Anton!
snow report
BobinCH, yep - he's off there about now. he got a pair of proper goretex shells so he won't be touring in greenland in jeans Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy