Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are the unpisted reds?

Poster: A snowHead
Why don't resorts (generally) have these? Seems like a gap in the market for something a bit wilder/more natural without being very steep and very hard work.

Something that's not as steep and "scary" as a black, but offers more of a technical challenge than merely being steep.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Kitzsteinhorn Glacier has several of these.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dig out your old piste maps and you'll probably find some itineraires marked with dotted lines. They might be red or black depending on their steepness. In St Anton they're still on the map but they can get very moguled and 'pisted' with traffic.

I think they've probably disappeared from modern maps due to liability issues.

It's usually a fairly easy job to find a local guide (as in book) that lists and describes them or even a guide (as in human) that knows them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Malgovert in Les Arcs is an unbashed red. And good fun it is too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scotland.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamcham wrote:
Malgovert in Les Arcs is an unbashed red. And good fun it is too.

So is Clair Blanc in LA... good fun too, but can be a rather intimidating entrance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hintertux has ski routes marked as red dotted lines. They're marked on the information boards with open/closed lights so I'd call them unpisted runs rather than off piste. They're only marked with a single line of posts rather than boundary posts however, so it's kinda easy to stray off them.

Anyone know what their actual status is?

scotia, good answer Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton and surrounding area has loads of red ski routes. Sometimes they are pisted but very nice all the same
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scotia wrote:
Scotland.

agreed
got to glencoe after a dump and you havent a clue where anything is..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andytb, Assuming they are thee same as the marked offpiste routes in many other Austrian resorts, they're avi protected, marked on the map, but not patrolled. You can get ski routes and 'extreme' ski routes, I guess you could compare this to red and black graded runs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
was also a couple in courmayeur in jan
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last, Ischgl has some good red itinerary's , also lech has some of the best I have skied
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Sometimes they are pisted but very nice all the same

None of the ones I tumbled down in March had been pisted (unless the piste basher was one man on a unicycle Laughing )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
North America.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Several itinerary routes on the Stubai Glacier about an hour out of Innsbruck.
snow conditions
andytb, As clarky999, says. One such run in Hintertux is the Schwarze Pfanne which ends in the village. Its not officially a piste but rather a ski route. It isn't patrolled, is marked on the map but is often closed due to avalanche danger.
ski holidays
Another vote for Glencoe.
snow conditions
There's usually an unpisted red above Courchevel 1650 which is good fun.
snow report
Or you could just come to the US. Here on the East Coast (not going to speak for out West as unfortunately haven't got there yet!), there's always plenty of single black diamond (and even some blue) trails designated as "natural" ie they are hardly ever pisted.
That being said I've skied on plenty (usually by accident Shocked or unfounded bravado!) of unpisted reds in French resorts. Check the pisting report in the morning before you go out and then you'll be sure to find some natural stuff.
snow report
neigehead, I'd agree, we are in Winter Park right now and there is plenty of this type of terrain, in fact "runs" consist of whole moutainsides,made safe but not prepared with loads of tree skiing, its really excellent ( our first trip stateside). Breckenridge last week was similar. Very Happy
latest report
As noted, NA, or more specifically from personal experience, Canada.

Go to Panorama. You'll get sick of 'em, even I nearly did. There are dozens. Though not marked as "reds" ("red" designated runs don't exist) the steeper blues/shallower black diamonds are european "reds". You'll soon be searching out the groomers to give your legs a rest...............

Surprisingly, snowsports aren't confined just to the Alps wink .
snow report
Agreed loads of them over in Whistler when we were there. Mind most of the pisted runs had 30cms on top as it was snowing all day. Being a wimp and having very painful legs I was happy to do the odd green.
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
Surprisingly, snowsports aren't confined just to the Alps wink .

Shut. Up. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yuck. Unpisted. No thanks.
ski holidays
BCjohnny, you beat me to it Laughing
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Yuck. Unpisted. No thanks.

Truth. Unpisted = moguls = yuck.

If I'm on a piste I want piste if I'm off a piste I want pow/corn/fern etc. not bloody moguls.
snow report
Some people love moguls though.

Not me, I hasten to add.
snow report
Same sentiments. A few moguls on an a ridge line to access good snow, through a little couloir along the way or along a forest traverse etc on the way out are fine and dandy as they all add variety and are not the main course. Moguls in bottleneck pisted areas are good for slowing people down too but to actively go seeking out long marked pistes for the sake of skiing man made bumps is weird. Confused Happily, there's usually some soft crud or sometimes even untouched snow near to or just out of sight of those long mogulled runs that's a whole lot more interesting than the drudgery of endless bumps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
the drudgery of endless bumps.

You'd love the Face at Heavenly! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
mugen wrote:
scotia wrote:
Scotland.

agreed
got to glencoe after a dump and you havent a clue where anything is..

Good job you went for a dump first wink
ski holidays
andytb, Tux ski routes are marked off piste runs. Not patrolled but safe for avalanches (provided you stay within 15 metres of the markers). Not far from these you can find terrain that is steep enough to avalanche and some serious terrain traps for good measure. The runs are all crevasse safe due to being below the glacier line, however there are some rock and terrain features that could be tricky.

Great terrain for free riding after a snow fall, interesting terrain features for run riding, few steeper pitches to be found but with careful consideration.

PSG
snow report
Dot. wrote:
Another vote for Glencoe.

...and another. Only skied there once and it was wall to wall sunshine, no wind, -5 following very recent snowfall. Perfect
latest report
gilleski, thanks for the definitive answer on that one Happy
ski holidays
Quote:
the drudgery of endless bumps.

Some people wonder why skier spend considerable expense to be out in the drudgery of cold mountain when there's warmth and couch at home. The same answer will be given as why some skier go out of their way to seek out endless bumps: FUN!
ski holidays
Quote:
bumps : FUN!

Sounds like something by Rebecca Black.

Tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes after...wards, I don’t want these bumps to end, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN. Yesterday was BUMPDAY, today will be BUMPDAY, the next day will be be BUMPDAY, is this really FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN. Which one is the left bump, which one is the right bump, they all look the same to me ... BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP. Oh it feels like groundhog day, been here before ... BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP. This looks the same as yesterday, gotta make my mind up, which way shall I go ... BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP.

As I said, there's nothing wrong with a few bumps on the way through interesting terrain and when they help to slow down traffic in bottlenecks but perhaps my experience with wild feeling skiing here in Scotland makes me prefer natural snow, rocky terrain and poor visibility than to ski with the rest of the ants through run after run of man made BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP in the sunshine. I'm sure I'm not the only one. wink
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
Quote:
pisted runs: FUN!

Sounds like something by Rebecca Black.

Tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes after...wards, I don’t want these pisted runs to end, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN. Yesterday was PISTEDAY, today will be PISTEDAY, the next day will be be PISTEDAY, is this really FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN. Which one is the left piste, which one is the right piste, they all look the same to me ... PISTE, PISTE, PISTE, PISTE, PISTE. Oh it feels like groundhog day, been here before ... PISTE, PISTE, PISTE, PISTE. This looks the same as yesterday, gotta make my mind up, which way shall I go ... PISTE, PISTE, PISTE, PISTE, PISTE.

As I said, there's nothing wrong with a few bumps on the way through interesting terrain and when they help to slow down traffic in bottlenecks but perhaps my experience with wild feeling skiing here in Scotland makes me prefer natural snow, rocky terrain and poor visibility than to ski with the rest of the ants through run after run of man made PISTE, PISTE, PISTE, PISTE, PISTE in the sunshine. I'm sure I'm not the only one. wink

fix it for ya Smile
snow report
abc, if you're not already familiar with Scotland, I'll forgive you. Little Angel Anybody that is will know that we're not too hot on grooming (or marked pistes for that matter). wink Come to Glencoe though & you'll see the light (but not the headlamps of a Kassbohrer). Very Happy

Edit ... just thought I'd share this compendium of Friday covers ... http://www.sugarscape.com/tags/funny/619721/rebecca-black-friday-spoofs?page=0%2C0 ... Only in America. Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 26-04-11 20:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The Col De Ves chair in Tignes gives access to a huuge unpisted area. Helpfully there is a pisted track running through it.. Lots of options os steepness, length, aspect, bumpiness etc...
latest report
moffatross wrote:

Edit ... just thought I'd share this compendium of Friday covers ... http://www.sugarscape.com/tags/funny/619721/rebecca-black-friday-spoofs?page=0%2C0 ... Only in America. Laughing

I can't see the link at work. What's that got to do with America?

(I've never heard of a sugarscape.com)

Quote:
abc, if you're not already familiar with Scotland, I'll forgive you. Little Angel Anybody that is will know that we're not too hot on grooming (or marked pistes for that matter). wink Come to Glencoe though & you'll see the light (but not the headlamps of a Kassbohrer). Very Happy

True, I have not skied in Scotland. But have you ski in (east coast) America?
latest report
Quote:
I can't see the link at work. What's that got to do with America?

abc, watch them when you get home, they'll make you laugh. Smile There's links to various Americana including a Darth Vadar, Meatloaf, slasher horror & a maudlin country blues singer all doing versions of Rebecca Black's 'Friday'. Made me chuckle lots. Toofy Grin

Quote:
But have you ski in (east coast) America?

I've only ever been to Killington, Vt. I'd love to ski more in the USA but would hope to go somewhere a bit more real than the Big K next time. I'm sure there're lots of natural mountains to ski in the East. Little Angel

Anyway, I think Narc nailed it earlier when they said "If I'm on a piste I want piste if I'm off a piste I want pow/corn/fern etc. not bloody moguls." Fortunately, some mountains have got so much terrain between the runs that most of it stays pretty natural.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy