Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Friken friken heck

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/G-dPjDYVKUY&feature=player_embedded#at=35
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did he have off-piste insurance?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Holy Cow! I almost couldn't watch that. Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cad99uk wrote:
Did he have off-piste insurance?

No but he was wearing a helmet!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Running. Running along the the ridgeline to the summit! Jawdropping Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw this on a documentary about the Eiger on BBC in the winter... amazing stuff. That mountain is the stuff of absolute legend

And... the camera man is the true hero here Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Incredible skills, incredible nerves, incredible mountain.

I can't comprehend how the Eiger climbers manage such manoeuvres on such exposed terrain, particularly as many seem to do it without much in the way of protection and ropes. That leaping along the ridgeline is just unbelievable! Should have posted that in the 'what's a no fall zone thread!'
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
some videos are impressive, this is GOBSMACKNG.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But the Ski Beat rep on the bus told him "about 90 minutes".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At times in the distance shots his movements looked more like a spider's than a human being's. Awe-inspiring!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great comment from the Youtube clip:

"If he fell he would probably land on his gigantic balls and survive."
latest report
more solo climbing insanity (worth the full 24 mins and sitting through the Japanese pizza hut ad)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjM3MTcyOTgw.html
ski holidays
Anyone else watch Arno's link with a twitchy sphincter? Shocked Shocked
latest report
- Swiss alpinist Dani Arnold has just bettered Ueli's time on the North face - knocking it down to 2'28" Shocked Unreal!
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
- Swiss alpinist Dani Arnold has just bettered Ueli's time on the North face - knocking it down to 2'28" Shocked Unreal!

Shocked Shocked

That is a video I'd like to see!
snow conditions
Chasseur, I'm crap soloing on rock. Have done rather easy ice with big packs up to about 600 feet and felt confident as you basically have your holds with you. Some of these clips really make your palms sweaty though.

I remember Jim Perrin's article in a climbing mag in the 80's when he solo'd (think it was Coronation Street) a climb at Chedder Gorge after doing a load of speed and coke. He got a couple of hundred feet up, clipped into a sling and then basically lost it (gf break up, life crisis etc) and had to climb the last pitch in a right mess.

All he wanted was to see his dog again and to feel flat ground beneath his feet Sad
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:

That is of course 2 hours 28 minutes, as opposed to 2 minutes and 28 seconds...just in case there was any confusion...
snow report
offpisteskiing, didn't see you pass him on the way down Confused
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:

I thought that Ueli bloke looked a bit slow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
spyderjon, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Both videos made my palms sweat..

Nutters.
ski holidays
Only just saw this, yep what Piccadilly, said, Nutters, but how monumentally awe inspiring , what must it have felt like to stand on that summit Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Great - it is a serious bit of rock.

I do wonder why free climbers don't carry a small parachute these days - given the overlap between climbing and base-jumping - you'd think that there might be some way of mitigating falls from over a couple of hundred meters?
snow report
Scarpa, isn't Perrin a brilliant writer about this strange 'sport'. Do you know 'For Arnold Pines'? Every time I'm near Tryfan I think of it...

stoat of the dead, falls are instantaneous - there is no time to blink, nothing but a nano-second of that unreality one gets in car crahes etc and then it's bounce on the rope - if any.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoat of the dead wrote:
I do wonder why free climbers don't carry a small parachute these days...

Exactly my thought when watching the Honnold vid (thanks for the link Arno). It does seem though as if he's one of the few who take it to those extremes. I suspect also that going up with a chute on your back would rather take the shine off the freedom of the escapade. It's also worth thinking about the point he made that you have to be 100% certain that you will not make a mistake or you lose the mental strength to do what he does - and having a backup plan is conceeding that you are less than 100% confident. Once you let the doubts come in - as he nearly did on the Half Dome climb - you lose the concentration and facility that comes with complete confidence, and it becomes a self-fulfilling viscious spiral.

(Or so it seems from what he said - as I clearly have no experience of anything like this)

red 27 - free soloing = no rope, or any other kind of attachment. Falls are also clearly not instantaneous. From 500' you have about 6 seconds before you hit the deck so plenty of time to react. From that height though most of the time would be taken in the chute itself opening, so you'd NOT have a lot of time to hang about before getting it going. Much below that the chute won't open in time. It does also assume the wall is vertical (or overhanging) for long enough for the chute to start working - but those walls looked pretty much like it (but the Eiger probably not).

(edited to insert a rather vital missing 'NOT')

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 22-04-11 20:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
GrahamN, Ta for the lecture - but if you actually take up the sport, take a few leader falls perhaps then you could get back to me about how much use a parachute would have been.
snow report
red 27, plenty of guys are now using chute's for bib wall stuff, mainly for after topping out but also a security measure, slightly less pure but none the less hair raising, designer danger!
snow conditions
red 27, while it is true I am not a climber (although I have done the odd day), I suggest that what you do is also nothing like what Honnold does. Clearly a parachute is useless for falls of less than 1-200', and anything you've done on a rope would be fall less than that. But that's not what stoat of the dead or I were talking about. And while it's also different, I have made many parachute jumps (including some exits that were not at the scheduled time), several bungy jumps, and a few big falls (10s of metres) in skiing, so I do know how time passes when you are falling; saying you have a nano-second of unreality is complete tosh.
snow conditions
red 27, errr...

1) free climbing - ie solo and no rope.
2) 9.8 m/sec/sec ... if you don't understand what that is - you aren't qualified to discuss...
3) Look at the altitude base jumpers now deploy their chutes - using hand-deployed drogues rather than rip cords

So read my post again eh?

GrahamN, SMALLZOOKEEPER, Ta
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Scarpa, isn't Perrin a brilliant writer about this strange 'sport'. Do you know 'For Arnold Pines'? Every time I'm near Tryfan I think of it...

stoat of the dead, falls are instantaneous - there is no time to blink, nothing but a nano-second of that unreality one gets in car crahes etc and then it's bounce on the rope - if any.

No - will have to check up on that. Have read loads of Perrin's stuff though... agree totally on his ability to communicate what climbing is all about.
ski holidays
stoat of the dead wrote:

1) free climbing - ie solo and no rope.
2) 9.8 m/sec/sec ... if you don't understand what that is - you aren't qualified to discuss...

well I think that sums it up... rolling eyes

I shall be climbing in North Wales from next weekend, if one of you guys would like to come up and fall off the top of Lliwedd with your parachute I will promise to contribute generously to the funeral arrangements and write a glowing obit on here.
ski holidays
Scarpa, a wonderful moving peice - it was before the days of parachutes
latest report
red 27, do you actually know how big the north wall is? Compared with many base jumps? Why do you think I specified a distance? Just because you climb rocks which take a second or two to fall off doesn't mean others aren't climbing higher. Without a rope.

Anyway SZK has already answered this. All you have to say is you got it wrong... Wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 22-04-11 23:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
red 27, Was at Tremadog on Sunday... a romp up Valarie's Rib then an epic stuggle up Striptease... I didn't remember it being so hard Embarassed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 22-04-11 22:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
I suspect also that going up with a chute on your back would rather take the shine off the freedom of the escapade. It's also worth thinking about the point he made that you have to be 100% certain that you will not make a mistake or you lose the mental strength to do what he does - and having a backup plan is conceeding that you are less than 100% confident.

That sounds spot on to me. I don't do much climbing now but, in my limited experience of soloing, leading and seconding, bizarrely, I find seconding most terrifying. It must be something to do with all the hanging around knowing what's to come. By contrast, I find soloing (easy stuff that sometimes goes as VD but isn't really) liberating and enjoyable. I'm not encumbered by a rope, I don't have to hang in awkward positions trying to gear to stay in, I can move when I'm ready and, above all, I know I'm not going to fall off.
latest report
I watched the first one - he must have been damn certain that snow ridge wasn't about to breakaway - I wonder how sound it was Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy