Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux or Kitzsteinhorn Glaciers - Summer Extent

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wasn't sure whether to hijack another Hintertux thread but think I might get better answers on a fresh thread:

Does anyone have any info/stories on the extent of skiing on the Hintertux Glacier over summer?

I know it's going to vary by time of year and probably won't be as good after the season we've had, so I'm only looking for rough info, but I'd appreciate anyone's stories of visits there during summer. I'm looking to stop off there during travel in the first week of June if that makes any difference, I was just wanting to know what to expect in the way of piste opening. From what I've seen, the very top pistes are open obviously (The snowpark is at the top of the Olperer lift I think), but how many pistes below this are open? Can you get right down to Tuxer Fernhaus at 2600m? For example on the map linked below, are pistes 3, 11 and 12 likely to be open? Map for reference:
http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/upload/images/resorts/hintertux/7pistenplan_2006_web.jpg

Also has anyone been to the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier above Kaprun in summer before? Is the place any good? Looking at this piste map below (not very good quality) it would suggest there's a fair amount open during summer, but the Google Map summer imagery doesn't suggest there's much more than a couple of lifts for messing around on
http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/upload/images/resorts/kaprun/5kaprunsummermap.jpg

cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snebbit, I have been to Hintertux several times in the last week of May, everything above the Tuxer Fernhaus was open.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snebbit, I was skiing Tux right down to the Tuxerfernerhaus last August. June should be fine, but who can say? Tux normally fares much better than Kaprun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Hintertux this weekend and skied there Saturday and Sunday. Absolutely fantastic conditions. Hard packed and a bit icy early, perfect by 11am, some soft stuff by about 1pm and down the mountain by 2.30 / 3pm and sitting in the sun with a few beers.
Lots of racing teams up there but no queues to speak of. Would recommend to anybody itching to get their ski's on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snebbit, The Kitzsteinhorn has been closed for skiing since the end of July. It is looking to re-open for skiing on the weekend of the 8/9th October. Originally it was planned to be mid-September.

Hintertux has been open all summer but useage is mainly limited to race teams doing technical training. This closes off a large amount of the available piste to general punters.

As to which lifts are open - varies from day to day and year to year, but the beginning of June is fairly safe for skiing either of the glaciers. Have you looked at skiing the Stubai or Mölltal glaciers? They stay open longer, Mölltal all summer and Stubai I think closes for a short period in August/September. don't judge the Kitzsteinhorn by it's piste map, it is pathetic and bears little or no relation to what is actually there to ski. all it tells you is which lifts are open/closed.

This year we were still able to ski down to the Langweid lifts from the Alpine Centre at Kitz in the beginning of June.

As with all glacier skiing, you make what you can of it. The snow parks at Kitz lasted until they closed at the end of July - the upper one was still showing as skiable on the web cams through August but only walkers and toboganners were able to use it. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We skiied the kitzstenhorn on July 19 2009 and as you can see we had fresh snow!We got there early and were first up to the summit. It was a great morning session but got a bit slushy by 1pm so we had some gluewein and a bowl of gulashsoup, then came down the hill and sunbathed by the lake in the afternoon and watched a paragliding contest.
I think we got lucky with the snow though Very Happy I wouldnt count on good snow everyday.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy