Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another recommend me a Helmet thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

looking for advice on a helmet for me and OH.

Next year I'll be on my 4th week and OH on her 3rd.

Need advice on current offers of good quality gear.

Recommendations are appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take your goggles with you when you go to try on a helmet, make sure they fit well together.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
any smith helmet and intergrated goggles, should find some bargins about now
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AFAIK they all meet the same safety standards. The rest is just fashion and fit. Pop down to somewhere that stocks a range and try them on until you find one that's comfy. Snowdomes can be good as they'll have shops like S&R that sell a few brands, plus stores like Quicksilver that only sell their type, but lots of different models. You can just keep popping in and out of the stores trying them on.

Good idea by Duke about taking goggles with you. Try sunglasses as well if you wear them, some helmets will press the arm of the sunglasses into your face.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

AFAIK they all meet the same safety standards.

But then some exceed them, and do you know what the safety standards and tests are?

If you want the best head protection around, get a Sweet Trooper. Unfortunately your wallet won't be as happy as your head, but you get what you pay for.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
redbaron51, best helmet is the one that fits. Get into a shop and try as many on as possible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redbaron51, how much choice you have does largely depend on the shape of your head. If your head is very oval (like mine) or very round then you're more limited. If it's in the middle of the two extremes, for which the term 'roval' has been invented, then you have more options. But even if a helmet is the right shape for your head, you might fall between sizes for that model. So I'd second Dot.'s advice. I tried on a whole load of helmets in Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham in London with no joy, but ended up finding the right helmet for me at my nearest ski shop, Ski Lodge in Cardiff, who actually had a smaller selection.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sloop wrote:
redbaron51, how much choice you have does largely depend on the shape of your head. If your head is very oval (like mine) or very round then you're more limited. If it's in the middle of the two extremes, for which the term 'roval' has been invented, then you have more options. But even if a helmet is the right shape for your head, you might fall between sizes for that model. So I'd second Dot.'s advice. I tried on a whole load of helmets in Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham in London with no joy, but ended up finding the right helmet for me at my nearest ski shop, Ski Lodge in Cardiff.

Ha ha this is very true.

All about head shape for me. I have been shopping for a replacement helmet and I have tried on so many different ones trying to find a good fit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dot. wrote:
redbaron51, best helmet is the one that fits. Get into a shop and try as many on as possible.

+1

Whilst it's correct that all helmets meet a minimum standard, that minimum standard is for single impact use. That is, have one bad crash and you should replace the helmet. Higher price helmets, like Sweet and POC tend to be multi-impact.

One thing to bear in mind is that all helmets life-span - which is determined by the type and quality of the foam (or equivalent) in the helmet. IIRC Sweet helmets have a 4 year life - after which they are no longer guaranteed to meet the safety standard.

I'd suggest fit comes first. If you've then got a choice then you need to decide whether you want / are prepared to pay for multi-impact; lower volume fit (Sweet and some POCs); better adjustment; better ventilation (Giro tend to be particularly good); integrated visor type thing or just want to go for fashion.

One positive thing is that the adjustability from cycle helmets has started filtering down into ski helmets - so nowadays you'll find you can get more helmets to fit a given head than, say, five years ago.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

IIRC Sweet helmets have a 4 year life - after which they are no longer guaranteed to meet the safety standard

Oops, I've been using the kayaking version for 5/6 years (now I think about it, the foam does seem to have 'hardened' a bit, really don't want to get my skiing lid smelling of river water though...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all,

Thanks for all post....

I shall try on some helmets in shops (probably Kingston upon Thames) then order online for better price.

Cheers
rb51
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
redbaron51, I bought a Giro G10 from https://brainbucket.co.uk/ , very efficient service and good value as well
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought a Giro G10MX (i didn´t fit the lid) from Amazon.

It is great. The only problem is the back adjuster can rub my neck when I wear my preferred goggles. Not a problem because I am getting a different pair anyway. So I would recomend getting into a shop to try and buy.

I think the G10 looks good, however, I the most comfortable I have tried was the Salomon Ranger Air with the pump up bit at he bag to get snug on the head.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy