Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne : ok for family and where to be based?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Looking for some advice about La Plagne. We are a family of 4. 2 children on their 4th week skiing and 2 adults (one nervous intermediate who likes to take group lessons).

Went to Avoriaz this March (12-19)and really enjoyed it. Kids loved the ESI ski school and I had good group lessons (only 3 in group) with Evolution 2. We loved the convenience of the resort, especially putting skis on at door of residence and being straight on slopes. Also liked being able to get about and explore different areas from the one base.
But there was a downside - crowded slopes after about 10.30am due largely to the poor snow lower down in the PDS.

So for 2012 we are looking for a similar convenient resort but at a higher altitude. Having done some research we have come across La Plagne. Do people think this will fit the bill? if not, where would be better?

Also where to base ourselves(self catering apartment)? We will probably book the kids into Oxygene ski school in Plagne Centre. How easy is it to get to here from the other parts?

Thanks everyone for any thoughts/ advice.

ps we are looking at the week 31/12 - 7/1, hence a higher resort than Avoriaz.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Club Alpina in champagney in Vanoise A sort of appartement hotel you can self cater or use hotel facilities on the ground floor we spent several familly ski holidays there and had a great time it has pool jackuzi and hammam included.When we stayed there it was owned and run by Rene. I must qualify this we have not been for six years now so it may have changed but it is certainly worth looking in to.The hotel is opposite the lift station and ski school
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Champagny is nice but there is not much there and it takes a while to get to the other areas as it is at the edge of La Plagne furthest from Les Arcs. I have found Belle Plagne a good place as it so central to the whole area and genuinely ski-in ski-out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

Oxygene ski school in Plagne centre has a good reputation as does Reflex (also Plagne Centre) and Evolution 2 (Montchavin and Les Coches).

If you are looking to use Oxygene then you need to stay in Plagne Centre, Plagne 1800 or Aime 2000 in order to get to lessons in time. For self catered appartments take a look at Maeva for Plagne 1800 or Oxygene Immobillier for Plagne centre or Aime 2000.

For Evolution 2 you need to stay in Montchavin or Les Coches - take a look at Pierre Vaccance for self catered appartments (or us for catered chalet Happy)

Plagne centre is within nice, easy access of the whole La PLagne area so it's a good choice for the family. Les Arcs is quite a long ski away if you want to try that area too, but it is do-able on blues all the way, and makes for a good day out.

The easiest way to find information in English on the ski area etc etc is on www.laplagnet.com which has advs for a lot of the accomodation providers too.

Happy planning!
Heather
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welshskier wrote:
Champagny is nice but there is not much there and it takes a while to get to the other areas as it is at the edge of La Plagne furthest from Les Arcs. I have found Belle Plagne a good place as it so central to the whole area and genuinely ski-in ski-out.

i'd second that belle plagne is good if you like ski in/out

also the slopes around BP aren't too demanding
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Belle Plagne for me too -Oxygene who I think are very good-start lessons at 9-45 or did last time I had some .......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could also consider staying in Plagne Soleil or Plagne Village, easy access to Centre so you should be able to make the lesson start time with Oxygene in Centre.

Les Granges des Soleil and Aspen in Village are both pretty nice self catering places with ski in ski out access.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for your replies. Quite a lot to think about re accom and its location.

Would it be feasible to be based in Belle Plagne ( which sounds good for ski in/ ski out which works really well for us!) and then go to ski school in Plagne Centre? or are some of the other places (eg 1800, Soliel) also ski in/ski out?

Will start looking at all the places recommended, thanks all.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zockel wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Quite a lot to think about re accom and its location.

Would it be feasible to be based in Belle Plagne ( which sounds good for ski in/ ski out which works really well for us!) and then go to ski school in Plagne Centre?

It's possible - ski down to bellecote, take one chair lift and ski down into centre... if you're happy on blues and don't mind getting up as the lifts start then yep that should be do-able.

zockel wrote:
or are some of the other places (eg 1800, Soliel) also ski in/ski out?

1800 is marketed as ski-in out but it really depends on where in 1800 you are staying - if you're down near the bottom of the Melezes lift then you could definitely easily make ski-school in centre for 09:45, the run back involves ski-ing over a bridge and then down a concrete lined turn (for 10 yds) - not so great if you're at the nervous end of the nervous intermediate.

Soleil is true ski-in out - and very easy to get to/from 1800 for ski school (once the nursery lift is opened)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stayed in 1800 last month and I know it's been a bad year but the snow was very poor (and badly maintained) getting back to 1800. Personally 1800 would be about the last place I'd choose in La Plagne (although the chalet hosts were great).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you considered les arcs? Lovely resort with a good variety of runs, plenty of blues and some easier reds, ski to and from the door.

Having been to la plagne and les arcs we preferred les arcs. However we did not stay high up in la plagne - maybe we would have liked it more if we had. We stayed in les coches and it didnt' seem the best base then. However now les arcs and la plagne are linked it might be better as near to the lift to les arcs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In answer to your question you are going to really struggle to get from Belle Plagne to Plagne Centre in the morning for lessons, espically with kids and a nervous intermediate in tow. Nothing to do with the difficulty of the runs, simply a time issue.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all, really appreciate the helpful advice.

It is looking like we need to stay in either Plagne Centre or Village/Soliel so will look further into options in these places.

snowymum, interested in your suggestion of Les Arcs - why did you prefer it to La Plagne? where did you stay that was ski in/ski out? did you use a ski school?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zockel - we stayed at Hotel du Golf which is at the foot of the piste in Arc 1800. However this was at least 10 yrs ago pre children and so I can not give any up to date recommendations on accommodation. When we skied in les arcs we enjoyed the tree lined runs between les arcs and vallandry, I think they are a mixture of blues and reds but the reds were not too hard, and the high up runs near arc 2000. Also enjoyed a fondue up the mountain and torchlit descent one evening (but I know you can do this in many resorts). When we went to la plagne we found the piste above les coches busy, narrow in parts and icy and it seemed quite a trek from there to the main part of la plagne.

Since our trip to les arcs the les arcs/la plagne lift has been installed and I gather there are a lot of new apartments in the peisy vallandry area of les arcs. I think there are some nice CGH MGM appartments with pool etc in that area. There is also the new area of les arcs at 1950 which sounds nice. Some of the appartments are on the ski collection website and lots of other TOs feature the resort. Other snow heads will have been to les arcs more recently and will probably be able to give you more useful advice on accommodation and ski schools. I'm afraid I don't have any recent info on ski school in les arcs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zockel,
Quote:

It is looking like we need to stay in either Plagne Centre or Village/Soliel so will look further into options in these places.

I'm in La Plagne until the end of the season if you narrow the choice down I can have a look for you and offer an opinion on suitability. Very Happy

Do bear in mind Oxygene run their own bus service to bring their clients up to (or down to) Plagne Centre.
Details here http://www.oxygene-ski.com/la-plagne-ski-and-snowboard-school.htm

welshskier, If it was bad then you should see it now! Even with my old rock hoppin skis on I ain't using 1800 as a route home to Montalbert which although lower has better snow snowHead
ski holidays
snowymum, thanks for all of that information. I will have a look at Les Arcs too.

Boredsurfing, Hope you´re having a good time in La Plagne and getting a lot of skiing in. At the mo I am looking at a few private rental apartments in Villages, Soliel and Aime but cannot see what buildings they are in! Also looking at Aspen in Villages and will look at any P & V residences having stayed in them in Flaine and Avoriaz and know what you get for your money. Thanks for the tip re the Oxygene bus service.
snow conditions
stopped at Christiana in Plagne center with mark warner. There were 3 couples with two kids each aged 3-8. The hotel was described by mark warner agent as being 'tired' recently and some of the other guests were not happy with it but for us it was great as there was nowt the kids could ruin. ski in/out, lifts just at the front of the hotel, oxygene a two minute walk away, childcare available ( which we did not use except for an hour in the evening), our hire gear was delivered/collected from the hotel, kids tea time was a help and the place was child friendly.

My kids are 6 and 7 and there was loads of skiing for them.

Price was ok as well as MW is normally well out of our budget.

Had a great time but then I always do!
snow report
Plagne Soleil - nice position for getting across the whole Paradiski, excellent new accom.

As an ex-1800 chalet girl if I was going back to La P - I would head there, for easiness.
snow conditions
Yep, another vote for Mark Warner's Christina hotel in Plagne Centre. Great for families and excellent location for the slopes.

I've stayed there three times and always had a great holiday.
snow conditions
Thanks again all for advice, not looked at Mark Warner before so will do so now.

Nadenoodlee, At the mo I am favouring Soleil so it is good to hear that it is in a good position and convenient. Altho we like to self cater, we do like to eat out quite a few evenings (its a holiday!), are there restaurants close by or would we need to travel to Centre to eat out?
latest report
zockel, from memory Soleil now has 5 maybe 6 restaurants if that is not enough then the only connection to the other areas is the bus which run between each village, or walking of course Very Happy
This years bus timetable is here http://www.aplp.fr/Administration/Nouvelles/Documents/Navettes%201011.pdf

This helicopter view gives some idea of the spread of the 'villages'
http://www.la-plagne.com/plagne_go/plagne.html

There is also lots of info on this old thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67380 which I had forgotten about Embarassed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Last two years we have skied La PLagne with VIP. Very nice catered apartments (chalet style) on the piste in Plagne centre, right next to where the ski schools meet. and a bubble and a chair. Perfect.

Piste skiing in La Plagne is plentiful but a bit dull for exerienced skiers but for kids it is EXCELLENT. We'll probably go somewhere else for a change next year but I'd recommend it for 2 children in their fourth week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy