Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski season with a dog?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My husband and I are keen to take a career break in the next couple of years and would love to do a ski season as part of this. However, we have 2 lakeland terriers who we would hate to leave behind. Does anyone know of any jobs where we might be able to take our furry friends?!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
happyviolet, welcome to SnowHeads. You should be able to find accommodation that will let your dog stay too without difficulty. Not sure what the situation would be with major Uk tour ops though for live-in chalet staff. We take our dog with us to France all the time. Don't fpreget they will both need microchipped, have rabies vaccine, have blood test to confirm immunity (in that order), and it should be done at least 7 months before you intend to RETURN to the UK for the passport requirements.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
as Hells Bells says accommodation shouldn't be an issue... some owners will ask for an additional "dog deposit" as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And they will also need to visit the vet abroad just before your return to the UK, for a tick and tapeworm treatment, which should be carried out no more than 48 hours , but no less than 24 hours before your return.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus wrote:
as Hells Bells says accommodation shouldn't be an issue... some owners will ask for an additional "dog deposit" as well.

Preferably outside the apartment! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

Most uk tour operators and accomodation-included positions won't take dogs, although it is easy enough to rent a flat privately who will.

Your best bet is probably to find a small independant company who would be willing to be flexible, or to find a live-out job and rent a flat seperately.

For small operator and live out jobs, take a look at Gumtree and Chalets Direct and try contacting bars, restaurants, transfer companies etc in the resorts you're interested in for work. It might be worth re-posting the question on the natives forums too as a lot of recruiters keep tabs on them.

Good luck!
Heather
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you start looking around for jobs early enough (this time of year) you should be able to find someone who can sort you out with dog friendly accommodation - we know a lot of seasonnaires with dogs and most of the bars in resort are happy for (well behaved!) dogs to go inside!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everybody for the advice Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 on Snow and Sunshine's comment. I worked 6 seasons and only knew of one tour op employee, living in tour op accommodation, who had a dog. However, dogs are welcome in the Alps and few apartments say you can't take them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In France, it is now illegal to refuse to accept pets in your self-catered holiday rental accommodation. I don't think it applies to hotels or B&B .
You can charge what you like to the owners, but you can't refuse to accept their pet. If anyone wants the link to the legal stuff, I'll try and find it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
In France, it is now illegal to refuse to accept pets in your self-catered holiday rental accommodation. I don't think it applies to hotels or B&B .
You can charge what you like to the owners, but you can't refuse to accept their pet. If anyone wants the link to the legal stuff, I'll try and find it.

How does the law stand on the customer stipulating and being provided with a gaurantee that they are renting a pet free apartment, may be due to allergy to cat & dog hairs Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leedsunited, no need to get involved in legal nitpicking - if you don't want to accept pets you just charge an arm and a leg for them and your dog-toting punter will go elsewhere, leaving you free to guarantee hairless accommodation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
leedsunited, no need to get involved in legal nitpicking - if you don't want to accept pets you just charge an arm and a leg for them and your dog-toting punter will go elsewhere, leaving you free to guarantee hairless accommodation.

As i am somebody who has a child that has an allergy to pet hairs i find your response somewhat unhelpful
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
leedsunited wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

How does the law stand on the customer stipulating and being provided with a gaurantee that they are renting a pet free apartment, may be due to allergy to cat & dog hairs Puzzled

If you rent an appartment and don't take a dog then it'll be "pet free". I doubt they'd supply one.
snow report
adithorp, LOL (but you know what he means....)
snow conditions
adithorp, holidayloverxx, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
leedsunited wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

How does the law stand on the customer stipulating and being provided with a guarantee that they are renting a pet free apartment, may be due to allergy to cat & dog hairs Puzzled

I doubt there has yet been a challenge to the ruling by allergy-sufferers, there is no legal provision.
latest report
Hells Bells, Many thanks
snow report
leedsunited If I had a booking which stipulated a pet-free environment, and up until that point, no animals had stayed, I would attempt find another reason for turning down any future bookings with an animal. I couldn't legally turn one down on the grounds they had a dog, but could simply say the apartment was unavailable for the period they wished to stay. Doesn't really make good business sense to turn down too many bookings though.
BTW, my place isn't pet-free as our dog stays, although so far, she is the only animal to stay there (AFAIK).
ski holidays
All a bit irrelevant though, since the question wasn't about holiday rentals.

happyviolet, if I were you I'd start looking early for accommodation - I had a colleague last season who had wanted to work in Meribel, ended up in 2Alpes because she couldn't find an apartment whose owner would accept the dog, had trouble finding somewhere here as well. If you're looking for TO jobs, stick to the small ops - the big ones don't like anything which deviates from the norm.
snow report
Lizzard, true, sorry. Same applies to long term rentals though I think.
snow conditions
Lizzard,
Quote:

All a bit irrelevant though, since the question wasn't about holiday rentals.

Unfortunately an allergy does not discriminate.
ski holidays
leedsunited, since the question was posed by a dog owner, I don't imagine pet hair allergies are an issue.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy