Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gonna book for Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, just after some advice from people who have been to Montgenevre.
I have previously been skiing to Passo Tonale for my first trip and then i went to La Plagne last year which was amazing!
There's a group of 5 of us of similar ability and we wanted somwehere which was a mix of the two places i had been and Montgenevre seemed a really nice place. Small local area with the option of going further afield if we wanted.
We are gonna go self catering this time and have booked some really nice apartments.
Is there enough pubs to keep us entertained at night?

I've read that the snow is pretty guaranteed but read a few reports that the link over to sestriere and Sauze d'oulx is not always open - has anyone experienced this?

Shane
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

What time of year will you be going? I have just got back from Claviere, right next door to Montgenevre and I would say the links between the two are unlikely to be closed. There is a high link over the Coretto Verde from Mont to Clav which is high and snow sure, and if this link is closed due to high winds (rare!), then there is the valley link along a green, over the golf course.

The link into the rest of the milky way via Cesano is at lower altitude, so I guess it might not be guaranteed very early season, but it was definitely open the first week of April this season, despite the very warm temps. You can ride the lifts down as well as up on this link, so even if you can't ski the lower pistes, you can still access the more distant resorts. Bare in mind that this does take a fair amount of time and it is often better to get the bus over to Sestriere or Sauze, to make the most of you day. It can take a couple of hours to travel right over, and most of this time is spent riding lifts and not skiing!

The skiing in Montgeneve is great, a wide variety of pistes for all abilities, open bowls and trees. The resort is easy to walk around and nowhere is more than a few minutes from a lift. There is not crazy nightlife but there are should be enough bars to keep you entertained. Prices are quite reasonable too.

Enjoy!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi thanks for replying!

We are looking to go 2nd week in January as we always go this week! I know there will be plenty of skiing in Montgenevre and Claviere so thats good! Like u say even if the links are closed, we can always get a bus over!

We are more than happy with a couple of bars and stuff to keep us entertained and the whole area just appealed to us.

We are quite new to skiing so don't mind lift hopping at the moment and the whole idea of taking a da y to ski to another resort and back really appeals to us. We were in La Plagne this year and we enjoyed skiing down to the lower villages for lunch rather than just going up and down lifts in resort.

Shane
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a great day in Montgenevre in March and the link to Claviere was closed.
A friend went over to Claviere the following day and complained that they'd only opened the bottom half of the area.

Visibility wasn't great high up and there had been some new snow but nothing particularly extreme that you'd expect lift closures to result from.

Naturally, this is a pretty limited sample of experience but I think, when you're dealing with Italians things can close for reasons we might not expect - when you're dealing with a service run jointly between the French and the Italians, don't expect anything! Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shnfox, We spent a week in Montgenevre in January - third week I think - and really enjoyed it. We stayed in an apartment in the Hameau d'Arielles, or something like that, which was excellent located, as out of the door, across a tiny road and onto the piste, down to the lifts. All links open then and most days we went over, from the top, into Claviere to find lunch. There are a few bars - we did struggle to find much choice to eat out in the evening but were fine with what we found. Hope you enjoy it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shnfox, I had my 3rd ski holiday in Montgenevre and loved it. Perfect ski area for the 3rd weeker.

the place is no oil painting, but I guess you are young etc and so won't care. My trip was in 1988 so I'll refrain from giving advice about pubs etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Pamski we are staying in the same apartments as u so thats good that u had a good experience!!!
Thanks!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shnfox, Yes - all very new and clean - we had a one bedroom apt and there were just the two of us, I wouldn't have wanted anyone sleeping in the living room - but then I am old and cranky about things like that! Also found the sofabed very uncomfortable to sit on for very long - we ended up with the chairs from the balcony - again, we do like our creature comforts. Very well equipped in kitchen if you do want to cook. I only used the microwave in the oven as I couldn't figure out how to work the oven itself and frankly couldn't be bothered to try as it was only for a few meals. We had driven there so had the car and paid the extra to park it underneath the apartments - much more convenient and we left helmets, extra gloves etc in there. If we did go back we would be happy to book there again - I enjoyed the pool in the afternoon after skiing. We had booked through Peak Retreats and very satisfied with their service.

we had a failure of water on two mornings running - BUT the apartment people were so helpful - bottled water available, and keys to unoccupied apartments for showers, loo etc, more china available too as couldn't wash up - ah shame about that. Wifi is advertised and that works - you have to go down to a couple of areas in reception to do this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info it's much appreciated! There's only 5 of us going but we're booking a superior apartment which has an extra bedroom and bathroom so that should be ok.
I doubt we will do much cooking either and will just eat out once we've finished skiing.

Just can't wait till we go now but it's so far away lol! We went to La Plagne this year and that was amazing. I know we will struggle to find somewhere with a skiing area as big but to be honest we only saw half of it in a week anyway.

Is there much skiing in the local area? Is Claviere classed as France then? Is the rest Italy?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No Montgenevre is France and Claviere is Italy. You will go past the border on the road when skiing down from the apartments to the lifts. When we drove we went from France to Italy and then back to France again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shnfox, have a wade through the blog we've done during our five weeks in Serre Chevalier - we went to Montgenevre / Claviere quite often. I rate it very highly and love the place and Clavier has one of the best restaurants I know, but you have to find it, just off the main road, food is superb.

And for all those saying it's good for intermediates etc, the area has some truly great off piste!

http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/blog.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow awesome thanks very much gonna have a read now!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi
the Hameau apts are good and only 3 years old
its about 300m walk to ski school, but there is a free mini bus
its ski from door but for morning lessons it is difficult to fit in first lift and 10 minute ski back to centre.
we had a wonderful week there, and the pool after a day skiing was great.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Plagne has about 225km piste which is larger than its partner Les Arcs. The two form the Paradiski with 425km piste. Each is about the average size in Tarantaise with a total of 1600km skiing runs. Val D/Tignes (Espace Killly) has 300km and 3V has 600km(say 200km per valley). Valmorel and La Rosier are smaller with 150 and 140 km respectively.

Montgenevre is at one extreme end of Milky Way which has a total of 400km. The French side is about 100km.

It can be a pig to go to Sauze d'Olux or Sestriere from Montgenevre because you have to travel through Claviere and then Cesana. The link from Cesana to Suaze D'Olux can close in strong wind. In poor snow the link from Mongenevre to Claviere can be tough at the top. The sole run from Claviere to Cesana is exposed to strong sunshine and may not have enough snow hence the advice to get down by the chairlift as advised by other SH.

Many skiers are happy to do 30km piste a day and so a 200km piste resort should be good for a week.

If you want to measure your skiing try Sella Ronda of Dolomites as you can travel its circular 38km loop in a 510km domain linked by 4 resorts.

Montgenevre is very high but it did have good snow in my two visits when other French resorts, like L2A and LDH, were struggling. Like most of the Milky Way some faces of the Montenevre mountain can be too sunny for its own good while other parts are well shielded. However when there is good snow skiing in sunny Montgenevre is the nearly thing to paradise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks very much for the info. Really can't way to go it's just a same it's so far away!
snow conditions
There are two new accommodation in Montgenevre that are worth looking into. Le Chalet des Dolines, an MGM which opened last winter (10/11). Stayed there in April with the family in thoroughly enjoyed it although there was still some work being carried out nearby which was a bit of an eye sore. Will be completed for winter 11/12.
The other one is hotel Anova which I visited in April. Wasn't complete but we are going back next week to see it.
see the above accommodation on http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/montgenevre.htm
A new piste is also being done right between Le Chalet des Dolines and Anova so you will be able to ski back to both. A new lift is also scheduled to be installed on that piste.
red 27, Montgenevre changed a lot since 1988 so definitely worth checking out the resort again wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy