Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria 2012 Moving on from Mayrhofen!

Poster: A snowHead
Woould like to use your expert knowledge to suggest a suitable new Austrian Ski venue for our group of 6. All but one of us are generally confident skiers (6 years now, 1 week a year, that is!) who have coped with Mayrhofen's sometimes dark reds. The less keen one loves wider runs like Blue 8 and less steep reds like the 1 and the 6.

We are thinking its time for a change next year. We like: being able to meet up on the slopes if we ski in small groups, a village atmosphere, a selection of nice (not raucous) bars, good, peaceful hotels with good food. Can't affort top end (Lech, for example). 3 of us still kick off our hols with 3 days lessons to get back in the groove, so good ski school recommendations also gratefully accepted.

My eyes are tired from squinting at maps on screen and in brochures, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
monty100, How about Kitzbuhel area or the nearby Wilder Kaiser/Grossraum resorts?
Or Zell am See might also suit you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zell Am See is very pretty but quite small, although there is the Kaprun glacier nearby to add some variety. I went in January and liked it, it's certainly one of the most scenic Austrian resorts I've been to.

I think you'd like Schladming if you liked Mayrhofen.

Would also highly recommend St Anton. Not ALL the bars are raucous and the skiing is fantastic. I know most powderhounds go there for the off-piste, but our group enjoyed all the pisted runs and there are some lovely alternative areas to try like Rendl and Lech/Zurs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kitzbuhel definitely.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
monty100, have you skied Kaltenbach and Zell am Ziller when you've been going to Mayrhofen for the last 6 years? Plenty of skiing available in the Hoch Fugen/Hoch Zillertal areas above Kaltenbach and the Zillertal Arena above Zell am Ziller. Both very enjoyable areas and only the next couple of resorts along.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5 - yes, we have skied all except Kaltenbach (too foggy once we got there this year Sad ) Loved Zell am Ziller. Did the glacier last year as well. Our 6th member isn't so adventurous and didn't come with us on our outings, which is a bit boring for him, which is why we are contemplating a new place to explore together. BYW we are not speed/thrill merchants - so long as we are moving through wonderful scenery we're happy!!

Everyone else: Thanks for recommendations. Keep them coming!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saalbach
Arraba
Val Gardena
Sestriere
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe, They're all nice resorts, but only Saalbach is in Austria! (see thread title "Austria 2012...") NehNeh Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink, aye but there is more to life than A U S T R I A Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, Arabba and Val Gardena were in Austria until 1918.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
monty100 Saalbach for sure.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
monty100, ok that's good. How about Saalbach then, Ski Amade or Ski Welt? I've not been but a few Snowheads seem to like Bad Hofgastein and its associated skiing. Think I remember seeing a recent trip report actually so might be worth checking out?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
monty100, If you would like more info about Saalbach, I've put together my own "Rough Guide", consisting of 15 pages of A4 covering everything you might want to know about this area - skiing, apres-ski, restaurants, flight/transfer options, etc, etc. I try to keep it bang up to date. Other Snowheads seem to have found it useful and have given me appreciative feedback. PM me your e-mail if you would like me to send you a copy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Group meeting soon to talk it all through and you've all been most helpful. TATMAN - would like this please but cannot for the life of me see how to PM you with my email - what button am I looking for? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obergurgl fits your resort description (village, nice bars, hotels etc) and is more snow secure than many other resorts (e.g. Kitz and Saalbach).
ski holidays
monty100 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Group meeting soon to talk it all through and you've all been most helpful. TATMAN - would like this please but cannot for the life of me see how to PM you with my email - what button am I looking for? Puzzled

Click on the "Send/Read Messages" link in the top right hand corner of this page, then select "New Post" link on top left and create your PM (Private Message). Madeye-Smiley
snow report
ischgl , and didn't find it that expensive really , 4 euros for a beer seemed reasonable enough

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 14-04-11 18:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours: have PM'd you.

Alastair Pink - thanks for that!

DB and qad - thanks for those. Obergurgl has been recommended by someone who has been; Ischgl may be too pricy for us (we are teachers and stuck to our Feb half term, which HOORAY is one week later than the rest of the UK so it will be cheaper, but still not cheap!).
ski holidays
You could stay in Galtur - you can then ski there on the small but fun resort and be in quiet village. The big ski area of ischgl is a short free bus journey away. Then there are two more small areas down the valley - kappl(Enjoyed this, good variety in a small area) & See (looked good for beginners and offpiste)
ski holidays
Everyone should experience the phenomenon of St Anton. There are some chilled out bars as well as the Moose and KK. But the skiing is excellent if you are quite confident.

Of the other suggestions I think Saalbach is about the right level of great skiing and night life. Obergurgl is a bit too family orientated and Ischgl IS expensive.
latest report
monty100, Saalbach and Hinterglemm sounds perfect for your group.
snow conditions
Tiger2 wrote:
Ischgl IS expensive.

Only if you stay in Ischgl Smile
snow report
Saalbach or Iscghl - base yourself in Kappl or Galtur as others have suggested.
snow conditions
The only thing that makes Ischgl expensive is the price of the ski hire.
You can avoid this by hiring your skis or boots in Kappl or See on the way up to Ischgl.
Was in Ischgl last year and found it good value.
We went to Saas Fee this year and found it very expensive.
€220 euro for a 4 day lift pass and and the food very expensive.We wont be rushing back to Switzerland for a while.
There are lots of Garni Hotels in Ischgl which are good value.
ski holidays
Beer prices in Ischgl vary tremendously depending on where you drink. In the most popular apres ski bars you'll pay between €4.50 to €5 for a 0.4 litre of beer much of which will be froth. If you go to a quieter, less rowdy bar its much cheaper. In the very nice Kiwi bar last month I paid IIRC €3.30 for a full 0.5 litre.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy