Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots as hand luggage on Easyjet

Poster: A snowHead
Easyjet can't seem to answer this directly but can you take ski boots in their bag as hand luggage ? The bag is easily less than the size requirements and weighs less than other hand luggage I've taken in the past. Will they get funny about it being ski equipment and want to charge ? Not taking skis so hardly worth paying for ski carriage just for boots.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It doesn't say it anywhere on their terms and conditions, but it seems if you get the wrong day of the month at Luton you can't, and almost always ok from Gatwick.

Doesn't matter though, because it is security at the airport that makes these decisions, not the airlines. So as long as you don't tell Easyjet what's in the bag then you're fine. Avoid taking your boots in a boot bag. Partly because many boot bags are wider than the maximum dimensions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
damobloke1, Here's a bunch of advice from this forum on that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is nonsense. If it fits their carry on specifications you will be fine. Same as if you want to carry lead weights to the size and weight of the carry on luggage.

Play the blues. Drink beer. Ski hard. Have fun. End. Repeat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:
This is nonsense. If it fits their carry on specifications you will be fine. Same as if you want to carry lead weights to the size and weight of the carry on luggage.

Play the blues. Drink beer. Ski hard. Have fun. End. Repeat.

Unfortunately not true. We were forced to check in a number of bags that had boots in them on a recent trip, because they decided that ski boots were not safe in hand luggage. Despite this not being in their Ts & Cs or list of banned items. Security didn't give a toss either.

If you filled the carry on baggage with lead then you wouldn't be able to lift it unassisted. So they wouldn''t let it on. Security would also confiscate it because they wouldn't be able to x-ray it, so you could be hiding anything inside.

I agree with the last bit though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Unfortunately not true. We were forced to check in a number of bags that had boots in them on a recent trip, because they decided that ski boots were not safe in hand luggage. Despite this not being in their Ts & Cs or list of banned items. Security didn't give a toss either.

That Sucks! Whats the point of Ts & Cs then if they can do what they like at security?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher wrote:
Quote:

That Sucks! Whats the point of Ts & Cs then if they can do what they like at security?

Not even that, what's the point of security if check-in are going to give me a hard time about my hand luggage?

It's not even in their Ts & Cs. The girl on the check-in desk just seemed to make it up on the spot, apparently because they might fall out of the overhead locker and hurt someone. The fact that their actual Ts & Cs allow me to take any bag that I can lift into the overhead locker without assistance is ok, that would be a hard bag weighing anywhere up to about 40kg and I could still do that. Yet my 6kg ski boots are a major hazard that warrants a specific question from check-in Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monium, exactly. It's completely non-sensical. I got mine through OK at Luton this year, by the simple expedient of having them inside my rucksack which fitted inside their gauge - and keeping shtumm. If they'd come out with that as the reason I'd have been pointing out their Ts&Cs and advertising which explicitly allow whatever weight you like provided you can lift it in there unaided.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium,

I'm out with them tomorrow and probably like you trawled through the small print, I sent them a question about putting my bindings in hand luggage because I was putting more than 1 pair of skis in a bag, the response I have is its fine as long as it fits size guidelines etc. I shall be protesting good and hard if someone has their own mind on this!! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher, Where you flying from ? We're going to Grenoble from Bristol tomorrow...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
damobloke1, Bournemouth

Monium, The other thing I can't remember check in getting involved in hand luggage, I didnt think you have to present it to them! Anybody answer this!?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium, fair enough, my point was it shouldn't matter what the hand luggage consists if as long as it isn't prohibited items and is within the weight and size limits.

I've not seen ski boots in the prohibited items list.

That said I always stuff them in hold luggage. That's a risk for an important bit of kit. But iin over 30 trips in Lat five years in all parts of world it's always worked out alright.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher wrote:
Quote:

The T&Cs say they can.

They are quite clear that the lis6t of banned items is NOT exhaustive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
damobloke1, Not wishing to upset you but Grenoble airport has signs up at the checkins and at the entrance to security showing a Ski Boot with a big red cross on it. As we are talking french rules here, sometimes they don't seem to bother, but on the days when they are enforcing the no ski boots in hand luggage rule then argument is futile......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another revenue raiser I guess, don't put ski boots on the excluded list, then charge you extortionate prices to put them in the hold!
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
Another revenue raiser I guess, don't put ski boots on the excluded list, then charge you extortionate prices to put them in the hold!

To their credit, they did force us to check them in, but didn't charge us anything. We had, however, booked ski carriage and had ski bags with us.

Personally I take my boots in hand luggage, because then I know that they will arrive. I can live without skis, clothes, and all kinds of other stuff, but my boots are the one thing that I don't want to rent or buy in resort. It's taken rather a long time to get happy with them, so being lost by an airline for several days could really spoil a ski trip.

Grenoble airport let my boots through 2 weeks ago, they did ask to open my bag and had a look at them, but didn't stop me. Normally I'd just check them in, because coming home is much less of an issue - once back in the UK with plenty of time I can get new boots sorted if the airline loses them.
ski holidays
Taken Ski Boots as hand luggage on BA & Easyjet, no problem whatsoever. I'd rather not let them out of my sight, the last time I put them in the hold they lost them for 4 days.
ski holidays
Monium,
Ahhhh! Got the impression they made you pay! Flew today to Geneva and there were people walking on the plane with boot bags with no problem!
ski holidays
Update. Bristol to grenoble on easyjet. No questions asked re. Ski boots as hand luggage. In a boot bag too. Maybe have to take my chances at grenoble but at least I've avoided half the costs.
ski holidays
Grenoble has no signs up re. boots and we passed ours through both check-in and security with no issues....!
snow report
Easyjet are dishonest

.. not sure why we keep discussing them?

Caveat Emptor has to apply ... thank goodness there are alternatives
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy