Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - Closing Party

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI Off to ishgl the last weekend in April, any tips ideas, where to go what to do etc.... Tips for the concert and of course any tips for skiing

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're welcome.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bostin1978, There are really only two things to do - drink and ski. Last season, although the weather was warm skiing was pretty decent until about 1PM when it got a bit spring like. If you get the first lift up at 8.30 you can get a good bit of skiing in. The slopes are also relatively quiet as most people are there for the party and are nursing hangovers during the day. As for the drinking its not just about the concert, its a weekend long party. The bars move outside setting up stalls and the streets are filled with music. In the normal course of events Ischgl is pretty manic but goes overboard on closing weekend. At the concert there was a crowd of us so we bought trays of beer and buried them in the snow to keep them cool. The best bit was the very one sided snowball fight. By the side of the arena is Idalpe restaurant, on the top floor of which sat the dignitaries. They got bombarded with thousands of snowballs and never had a chance to retaliate.

As for the skiing, its a pretty large area of predominately north facing bowl type, red runs with little tree lined skiing, other than the runs back to the resort. My favourite areas are those around Bodenalpe, Palinkopf and Greitspize on the Austrian side and Alp Bella on the Swiss. If conditions allow make sure you do the Smugglers run over to Samnaum. The runs back to the resort can be tricky, particularly 1 and 1a as they can get very busy. Alternatively, runs 5 and 7 are IMO more interesting and less busy although you cannot escape ending up on 1a as they both join it before the village.

As for bars, the East side of the village has Niki's Stadl, the Schatzi Bar and the Kitzloch as the most popular while on the other side you have the Kuhstall and the enormous Trofana Alm. They all rock. It doesn't really matter where you are staying as to where you go as you can walk from one end to the other in about 15 minutes.

For a quieter, more chilled out atmosphere, try the Kiwi bar by the church (despite its name, its owner isn't antipodean but a local named Stephan).

Anything else feel free to ask.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Corky, was there last week and would have to say that unless conditions improve a million % there will be no skiing back to resort on the last weekend. the bottom area outside hotel elizabeth was more geared towards waterskiing than snow skiing from lunch time onwards. did it once mid morning and it was okish but any later was not for the faint hearted for both snow conditions and those that think they can ski but just couldnt handle the conditions - i always had a beer at the idalp and then skiid down 40 mins after the rush had gone down at the end of the day. the idalp area was also getting a little heavy around lunch so best skiing was as high as you could get. i didnt do the smugglers run but this would also be a challenge unless there is a heavy fall in temps and lots of snow. was 13C on one of the days in the village.
having said that it is a fantastic ski area and will be going back.

heres one for the ' i dont believe you team'. i posted on here some time ago about ischgl and a certain poster from here (who will remain nameless unless he wants to volunteer!!) said he was going to ischgl the same week as me(last week). he was also in the 3V the same week in january as i was. Got to ischgl on the first saturday night and who was sat on the table next to me at the evening meal- yep it was him!! why will he remain nameless? well lets just say one of the nights his apre ski was entertaining and he offered to take us all to pacha and buy the champgne Very Happy never did take him up on the offer.. anyway had a great morning skiing with him and his buddy later in the week
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Corky, am also planning on going for the concert weekend at the end of the month. Have been to Ischgl a few times, so know the resort etc, but never been to one of the concerts. How do they work in terms of viewing and admisssion. Am I right in thinking this lift pass includes access to the concert and you just find a space somewhere on Idalp within range of the stage?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smithski, As per the link, the concert is essentially free but you need a pass to get up the mountain. Last year we skied in the morning and stayed up at Idalpe for the concert. Others get the lift up just for the concert. Viewing- just try to get the best spot you can.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pauljames, aye, I wonder who that was? Embarassed Embarassed

Sounds likea a really nice guy though! Madeye-Smiley

Can't really talk about the concert, but I can give a few pointers for skiing and lunch/apres-ski.

Try and do run 1/1a first thing in the morning at least once, just to experience how good it can be. At this time of the day, it's a completely different prospect as compared to later. Deserted, perfectly groomed and great fun. Even better, as a warm up for the day, do what we did on 4 of the 6 days. Get up to the highest point (Greitspitze, lifts A3, B3 then B4), then ski the 'Eleven' run all the way back to the village. This is a marked 11km run (longest in the area), which takes in pistes 13 & 1 (black and red). Really good for getting the legs working.

My favourite runs were:

Pardatschgrat: Piste 4 (steep quiet black/red)
Piste 5 (really good, varied, quiet red)
Idalp: Piste 11 (nice wide motorway blue)
Piste 13 (short black, good steep pitch at very top)
Look out for the speed run just off red 10, current Snowheads record: 77kph!
Hollkar: Pistes 20&21 (really good, steep blacks)
Piste 14a (steepest in the area, bottom section particularly good)
Fimbatal: Piste 34 (fun black, varied all the way down)
Samnaun: Piste 70 (excellent red, really good fun)
Piste 76 (fun, quiet red at the extreme of the ski area)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 'Duty-free' run (piste 80). It was alright, but completely ruined by a really long flat section at the end. There's much better runs to spend your time on.

Favoutire places for lunch:
La Marmotte, Alp Trida. Best lunch of the holiday, amazing.
Pardorama (table service bit). Really nice food, and ridiculously comfortable seats!
Paznauner Thaya (table service bit). Nice food, brilliant views

Apres-ski:
Schatzi Bar, Hotel Elisabeth. Friendly service, and entertaining watching everybody 'fall' down the last part of 1a
Kitzloch. Nice outdoor seating bit, gets the sun until it sets.

Just not long put some of my photos on my Flickr page. There's some good (labelled) shots of the Hollkar and Idalp bowls showing a lot of the runs I've mentioned above, as well as some photos of different lunch/apres-ski places. Feel free to have a look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/

Hope that helps!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pauljames wrote:
Corky, was there last week and would have to say that unless conditions improve a million % there will be no skiing back to resort on the last weekend.

I've just got back from Ischgl and the runs to the resort are just about holding on despite everything that's been thrown at them. But with temperatures the way they are they can't have long left.

Very warm last week and warmer still today and tomorrow. Lots of avalanche debris all over the place. They blasted in 3 places above piste 1 during Thursday afternoon. 2 of the avalanches brought significant amounts of debris onto the piste. Heavy rain on Thursday night and freezing levels closer to 3000 than 2000 didn't help matters either.

At the start of the week the pistes higher up were quite hard in the morning before softening in the afternoon. The precipitation on Thursday was snow on top and freshened things up a bit for a short time, but temperatures on Friday were very warm so most pistes softened quickly in the morning and were extremely soft in the afternoon.

I think by the end of the month you'll almost certainly not be able to ski down to Samnaun, Ischgl, Bodenalp and probably Gampenalp. That'll still leave a nice area to go at though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoneyman, great pics on flickr ...and the groomed piste photo looks like there should be some tattys growing in the furrows Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back. On Friday 15th conditions were good, temperatures had dropped, Idalp was just slushy at the end of day, higher runs were icy even in the afternoon. Runs to Samnaun were still open, and good except the last 200m or so. Runs to Ischgl were still open, but we chose mid-station and gondola. The run down from Gampenalp is closed for the season, the road is clear of snow. The stage is up and in use.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One good piece of news we found last week - the lift pass price was reduced, it should have been about 181 euros but was 155, presumably becuase the snow wasn't so good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy