Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Michael - Grosseck-Speiereck

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

New to this site so hoping someone can help!! Im going to St Michael next year in March just wondering what the resort is like and obviously what the skiing is like!! Have all mixed abilites and also a couple of people who dont ski but would like to chill out in one of the mountain huts on the mountain if possible??!

Help is MUCH appreciated as there isnt alot of info online!!

Thanks!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Victoria,
Welcome to snowHead 's
Can't help very much I'm afraid, loks a pleasant place and I ve been to Obertauern which is near by but not much help.
I guess you have seen the web site.
http://www.bergbahnen-lungau.at/englisch/skipisten.htm
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Victoria, I stayed in st Michael about 5 yrs ago.
It's a relatively small area, but tops out fairly high (2400 M I think) , maybe 40 Km skiing and the link is (was) via a 2 man chair.
there's a nice mountain hut at the top of the chair, I would guess there's some walking available from there for non-skiers but I can't remember.
The town is fairly strung out with a few hotels and apartments , but not much going on. Just a couple of shops and cafes but pleasant enough
It's a short bus round to Mauterndorf which i the other side of the mountain, which seemed to be a bit busier and more picturesque (didn't actually visit the town) .
It's a good base to visit other areas on the Lungo pass (http://www.lungo.at/ with some links to the piste maps) Katschberg is just 10 minutes and I think the more interesting area.
Fanningberg also good for the day, and there's always Obertauern but that might be abit more of a schlep unless you've got your own transport.
I think the place is worth a visit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks alot for your replies.....really hard to find alot in information on the web! How are the pistes for mixed abilities?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think its too bad. Mainly intermediate suited, but beginners slope and tow is next to the St Michael lift.
It's a long blue all the way to the bottom at Mauterndorf if you want.
coming back to St Michael might be a struggle for beginners (South facing so could get heavy) but you can get the chair all the way down.
Not a great deal for advanced, apart from whatever off-piste you can find.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well theres 10 of us going and everyone has experience of skiing so no-one is a first time skier luckily! Think we will most probably be getting a ski pass which covers all areas so hopefully there is a good range!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Victoria, There's definitely a good range when you take in to account all the ski areas available to you.
I liked the place and there's the bonus that prices were (don't know if they are now) a bit cheaper than other areas of Austria.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Victoria, try looking here for more info - some of it is in German but there is an English version around as well:

http://www.bergfex.com/grosseck-speiereck/

That area is known locally as being a bit of a snow hole (Schneeloch), i.e. it gets a lot of snowfall and stays pretty cold most of the winter normally.

This gives you some more info:

http://www.bergbahnen-lungau.at/englisch/index_winter.html

Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy