Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

29 August is an important deadline because ...

Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith, Actions were taken, which has set a precedent, and those actions could be used in turn by an outside party, against the site and the good folk who administer it, personally, as they have now demonstrated actively managing the content online.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny, refer us to case law. As I say, I think this is a balloon that deserves popping.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I don't believe there is any. The problem for little people is they simply cannot afford to defend themselves and therefore set case law.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 22-07-05 20:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tim Brown wrote:
ise, so there will be no censorship on snowSliders?

I think you're thinking of something else, snowslider's is my blog site.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
snowbunny, refer us to case law. As I say, I think this is a balloon that deserves popping.

I presume you're referring to my posting? If that's the case I suggest you need to read it properly, I was merely reflecting on what the current industry thinking is on this issue, I'm sorry to blunt because I know how fragile you are, but that would be an industry I'm part of and you're not. I was reflecting current thinking in the online world based on my actual professional involvement and the frequent discussions I have with various in-house and external legal counsel.

While it may disappoint you, I'm delighted to say neither me nor any of the clients I've advised have been the target of legal action to date, if you wish to take this as proof that we might be wrong then I'm sure you will regardless of anything I say, others may appreciate we're taking it as indication that we're right, the future may hold anything of course.

However, if you genuinely thought this was a reasonable question, then by all means refer us to case law that proves whatever point you're trying to make.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ise, right, ok. No censorship on the 'other' site then? The one you and PG are setting up/have set up. The site David Goldsmith is always promoting/moaning about.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tim Brown, sorry, I knew what you were referring to of course Very Happy It's an interesting question with a long answer and I'm not sure this is the right place to discuss it. What I would say is that few of us ever achieve what we aspire to Very Happy And, that I feel what's acceptable in a community needs to be defined by that community reflecting the values of that community.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, come on now, just answer the question. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tim Brown, I can happily rephrase what I already said. Above all that isn't the place to discuss it but, I'd not expect your question to be removed because of that Very Happy

I do think censorship's a broad term though, technically it means the act of censure and I'm in general favour of censure in some circumstances. I'm pretty much against removal of any post or topic topic though. Censure's best as a strong reaction from a community, indifference is a reasonable measure of censure for some posts, witness the number of people not reading this nonsense for example Very Happy

If some thing's not acceptable 20 people saying so is better than removing the post or better even than indifference.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So what if a genuine no holds barred libellous post is posted. It is either ignored or nobody in the "community" says that it is unacceptable. By this logic it should be left in the public domain. Is that the view of your legal advisers ise?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan Craggs, we've probably had a few, with George W. Bush and Tony Blair the most frequent targets. Of course much of what has been said about them could pass for fair comment, but not all, I imagine. FWIW, I think it's a difficult line to tread, and it's done pretty well here. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alan Craggs, sure, you're sure you're able to define a "genuine no holds barred libellous post" though ? Of course you can't. That's the nature of the common carrier defense, it's not the role of the service provider to make that definition.

So far, the closest real case to testing common carrier has been Yahoo France and the sale of Nazi memorabilia for anyone that's genuinely interested which Yahoo lost.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, I agree. It seems that certain public figures are seen as "fair game" by all sorts of pundits, not only online ones. Maybe they realise that suing ordinary folk is likely to do them harm rather than the other way round though wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think moderation works well, here, too.

If only for admin's pocket, we should avoid libel, I also believe we should avoid personal abuse. Even as*******d words can, and have been inflammatory here - and on at least one occasion, the waves spilled over from here into the SCGB site. I'm all for robust comment and debate, but if an argument is powerful on its own, then the case is made without abuse. And there's a lot less anguish all round.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong Laughing but does this mean that Yahoo claimed that it was not their role as service providers to act with "due diligence" or to take "reasonably practicable" steps to prevent this sort of thing, and the Court disagreed with that view?

And whether or not the "community" approve, surely this has no bearing on how the law may see the matter?
snow report
Oh, and I don't need to define a libellous post. I'm sure I could make one right here and now Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alan Craggs, no, as I understand the case the judge considered them in breach of French laws pertaining to the sale or display of racist items. Yahoo defended it on the grounds of jurisdiction basically. As I said it was the closest case I know of in that it could have called on common carrier, but common carrier may have no real legal basis. In fact, various lobbies campaign for a proper common carrier status.

The UK Usenet case mentioned by PG (I think) is more interesting, part of the arguments there hinge around whether Demon should have removed the posts having been notified of them by the complainant. I purposely didn't mention this earlier, it's unsatisfactory as the ISP settled out of court and it wasn't tested properly at all legally. By contrast US courts have thrown out similar cases, so in the US there's precedent for common carrier but the UK situation is unclear although the presumption is the court may not support common carrier. I think the ballon's pretty much popped now.
latest report
Alan Craggs wrote:
Oh, and I don't need to define a libellous post. I'm sure I could make one right here and now Toofy Grin

In that case I'm not why you asked the question or why I took the effort to answer it.
snow report
Because it's late on a Friday night and we have nothing better to do than be here? rolling eyes If the balloon has popped. let us let it deflate in peace snowHead
snow conditions
Absolutely. This thread was intended to alert (exiled?) members of the Ski Club of Great Britain that an important election was about to take place. It's gone a bit off-piste, without a guide (or rep!)

If people want to continue chewing over the moderation/censorship issue, it's maybe best if the irrelevant half of this thread is split out to form a new thread on that specific issue.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, don't be so anal.
ski holidays
Most Club members had already seen the treasurer issue discussed at length on the club site. For those who had not, a link would have sufficed. A lesson for the future, perhaps.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov and David Goldsmith, has the SCGB ever claimed though their website to be 'the spokesbody of British skiers'?
snow report
No, not that I'm aware of.
snow conditions
Strange, according to masque ' it was there for years until it became questioned.... ' and he also said, 'I first read it about 5 years ago, the last would probably be Nov. 04'

So, masque, the truth and what you have stated seem to be at odds!

This statement appeared in one document 10 years ago. The document was sent only to member of the club, so you could not have seen it.
snow report
Masque
Quote:

But why should that matter?

Because you said the statement was there for years, but it was never there. You were making it up. You're lying.
ski holidays
I think you're tempting yourself into a non sequitur, Tim.

I wouldn't have thought that a mission for our Club to be 'spokesbody of British skiers' has simply been abandoned, just because a few years have rolled by.

I can't comment on whether the mission statement was reproduced elsewhere. Presumably it has been part of Club policy since 1995, since so much has been invested in media relations and contact over the past decade.
latest report
For many years I wondered if I should join the SCGB, I never did get around to it, despite being approached on many occasions at shows and in resorts. I guess it was a "gut feeling" decision. Reading this thread confirms to me that I made the right decision.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mods - please delete Beck Daross's last sentence. It's very 'un-parliamentary' and abusive, for no good reason.
snow report
David Goldsmith, Perhaps Beck Daross should keep on digging, in the public interest?
snow report
Beck Daross, It certainly used to be there back in the days when the SCGB had a proper club house and wasn't a glorified travel agent, so you are mistaken, even Tim (the troll) Brown says it used to be there all be it 10 years ago
ski holidays
No, don't delete Beck Daross' last post, I'd like it to stand for the perfect example of why the SCGB is losing respect. Tell you what Beck Daross, how much are you willing to bet it wasn’t there? . . . How about the cost of next year’s renewal

There's nothing quite like reading someone typing with one hand on their groin and their brain seized in neutral. If I didn't enjoy watching the challenges you overcome to turn on your computer and log on here, I might consider a note to your chairman about your inability represent the club in good light.

And you don’t know I’m not a member . . . there’s a concept to screw with your mind, sweet dreams sweetcheeks.
snow conditions
Masque!!! Why couldn't you finish your post at the first paragraph? That was a good point, well made. The rest? rolling eyes
latest report
Tim Brown wrote:
Nick Zotov and David Goldsmith, has the SCGB ever claimed though their website to be 'the spokesbody of British skiers'?

I didn't see it, personally. But then, I wasn't looking for it.
snow report
Masque, where did you read it (be honest now)? BTW, any luck with that letter?
snow conditions
laundryman, It's late and I'm tired of these two morons playing 'fast and loose' with both the qualities of the SCGB and this forum. Their demonstrable ignorance of the club’s history and their unwillingness to provide any cogent argument is unworthy of any response above their apparent intellect . . . though even then I may be pitching a little high over the plate for these numpties. If Beck Daross is willing to call me a liar on a public forum, without providing any evidence to support her statement . . don’t expect me not to respond with a little invective.

The thicker the plank the better to sharpen claws on?

If anyone other than the protagonists feel my posts are outside the bounds of decency in this context, please PM me or the mods and without complaint, I’ll delete or change as requested.
ski holidays
©"Ski Club of Great Britain: a club for all skiers and boarders! Join here
The Ski Club of Great Britain is the leading, independent, not-for-profit snowsports club, offering excellent value to its members. Run by ski enthusiasts, the Ski Club brings 100 years of experience to enable today's recreational skiers to maximise their skiing experience. Ski Club members are offered a large range of services that make skiing more fun, more fulfilling and cheaper. All skiers and boarders of any standard are welcome to join the Ski Club and take advantage of the benefits."

That! Is from an archived SCGB web page, would you like to define all and leading?

That last sentence has disappeared too . . . because it IS (or was) a lie.

Tim, the words "spokesbody for British skiers" was stated in an annual report shortly after the first chief executive was appointed - about 15 years ago . . . that document still exists and is on public record. You've repeatedly shown yourself to be an idle troll, don't expect me to hand it to you on a plate . . . go find it, it's in the club records . . or would you like to call me a liar too? And there's me thinking you're a 'silk', maybe more research needed.

Tim, Becks, why do you think that any comment outside the SCGB is a threat to it? Whatever you think of me, you do far more damage to the club than I could even concieve!
latest report
Masque, according to David Goldsmith the statement 'spokesbody for British skiers' has not been published on the website to the best of his knowledge. But according to you it was there in Nov. 2004!

Anyway, according to you, what did the last sentence say (be honest now)?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, you describe my comments as ‘un-parliamentary’. Presumably you object to the word lying. Funny that you get hot under the collar about that and yet you whine that gripping tales of ten-year-old holiday upsets are in the interest of the wider skiing community, and should not be moderated, when the guy on the receiving end isn’t even a member of this 'parliament' and doesn't have an MP here.

Masque, calm down my honorable friend, your language is most ‘un-parliamentary’. Tim has got you on this one!
ski holidays
Quote:

Tim, Becks, why do you think that any comment outside the SCGB is a threat to it?

Masque, I don't think that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy