Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox S1 - FYI

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a couple of Ortovox S1 transceivers and since the missus left one on the batteries died whilst out ski-ing for a week.

Anyway, as an FYI, after you replace the batteries the device needs to be recalibrated. The problem is we didn't have the manual and the on screen instructions are not exactly clear. You have to slowly rotate the device 360 degrees whilst flat (taking about 10-15 seconds) then turn it upside down, wait for beep, then turn it the right way up and wait for the beep.

Until this is done it won't enter search mode, but still transmits OK.

So might be worth knowing if you don't tend to take the manual out with you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have just checked my paper manual for the S1 (inside front cover it says "Subject to alteration 08/2008") and can find nothing about calibration. Neither page 53 on battery changing nor the index on page 56 say anything about calibration.

This manual ( www.avalanche-center.org/store/manuals/ortovox-s1-E.pdf -- found by Google, I could not find it on the Ortovox site) describes, on pages 59 and 60, calibration of the compass within the S1 after changing the battery. Could not find anything to suggest that search mode requires this calibration to be done.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a pretty huge issue if correct - I really can't imagine any beacon manufacturer would make this big a mistake...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, I believe that ish303 has misunderstood what is happening and what the S1 is wanting. On page 60 of the PDF from avalanche-center, it says "Note: After each battery change the S1 requests calibration after the self-test." But these words are in the section titled "COMPASS CALIBRATION". These words about requesting calibration seem to be related to an old version of the software.

I have taken the batteries out of my S1, waited 20 minutes, then replaced them. With the S1 open, I turned it on and watched the screen as it powered up. It shows four screens then the fifth screen shows that the S1 is in COURSE SEARCH mode with a stick-man moving along a search path. There was no screen requesting compass calibration. Even when I turned to the compass screen there was nothing about compass calibration. So my S1 went from new batteries to searching without any calibration being needed.

My S1 was upgraded to the latest software in August 2010, the opening screen shows "Version 2.1" and the software version indicated on the Settings/Information screen shows "1.2.3237".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ish303, To also back up what Adrian, is saying the S1 requires no recalibration on changing batteries.

The only time the S1 needs recal is after an upgrade of software and even then its just the compass, this would be done by whoever is upgrading the software for you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If something funny is happening then best check with the UK distributors:

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/ortovox.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski wrote:
ish303, To also back up what Adrian, is saying the S1 requires no recalibration on changing batteries.

The only time the S1 needs recal is after an upgrade of software and even then its just the compass, this would be done by whoever is upgrading the software for you.

Sometimes mine fails the start-up compass test. This gives a '0004' error code. Not sure what causes this, but it will only effect the compass mode. As with all these devices, use only the best new batteries from the same packet and change at the recommended minimum. Finally, don't forget to get them serviced every year.

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/ortovoxservice.pdf
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The guy to speak to at Noble Custom is Miles, he is great on all Ortovox stuff Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe its a version thing, just checked mine and it's 2.0 on start up and 1.2.2786 in the settings menu.

Whatever it was it would not enter search mode as we were wondering whether or not to go out (we had a guide booked for a full day tour) but since the guide, me and other guys could all see it transmitting we thought it OK.

Quote:

Adrian

My paper manual has nothing in it about it, but I noticed in the box there was an additional leaflet named "Addition to ortovox S1 instructions of use compass calibration"

In that it says "NOTE After each battery change the S1 requests calibration after the self test"

I guess I'll give the guy at noble Custom a call to see if I can get mine upgraded to the latest version of the software.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy