Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR - Lech Feb 26th-March 5th

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heaps of pics at http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/annual-arlberg-ski-and-strudel-a-thon/

Date: February 26 March 5, 2011

Our mob: 8 of us

Basics : Lech is part of the massive Arlberg ski region, in Western Austria, lift linked with Zuers and a short free bus ride from St Anton and Stuben. It’s an upmarket joint, where you can spend a fortune with the rich and famous if you want. But you don’t have to …

The skiing: Extensive and varied, with much more than you can ever ski in a week. The lift system is absolutely superb, especially in Lech and Zuers where virtually every chair is a covered 4/6/8-pack, many with heated seats! Lift lines are very rare indeed. St Anton is busier, but apart from a couple of avoidable bottlenecks, you rarely wait for more than a couple of minutes.

On this trip, we had one 40cm+ storm on the Sunday, which set up 3 great powder days. After that, a high pressure moved in, giving sunny and slightly too warm conditions. The conditions held up really well though.

Off-piste : We didn’t venture too far off piste, but you really don’t have to in order to find really fine skiing. Some of the marked ski routes are fun, ungroomed things especially on a snowy day. But if you look around, there’s ‘just-off-piste’ options everywhere. The north facing slopes held snow well, and there was still boot deep turns to be had late in the week if you picked your aspects carefully.

The resort : A picture-postcard pretty Austrian village. The après is more restrained and cultured than most Austrian places, but still fun, and with highly amusing people-watching.

Food : We ate in several of the restaurants in town, most of which serve good hearty Austrian fare at not-too-bad prices, ie 14-20€ for a really good dinner. Haus Nr 8, a previous year favorite, was fully booked, and Schindlers, a perennial staple, had become a watch shop. Still, the food at Cafe Olympia, Der Italianer in Rufiplatz and Ilga’s up in Oberlech is good stuff indeed. We also did the annual Fux visit, which remains a very fine restaurant. And the Apfelstrudel is epic everywhere.

Hotel: We stayed at our usual haunt, the Laerchenhof (http://www.laerchenhof-lech.at/), with excellent rooms, killer breakfast, and spacious, super relaxing and well-equipped spa area. Only downside is approx. 500m walk to lifts. You can ski about half of this, and can ski back to the hotel from Zuers on the Madloch run.

Costs: Beer €4-5 for 0.5L wheat beer, €3-4 for a house wine, food €14-whatever you can afford. 8 day lift pass was about €260. Overall, more expensive than your average Austrian resort, but very comparable with Colorado and mainstream North American destination resorts.

Conclusion: 4th visit, still a real fave.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
9th visit this year - for a total of over 250 ski days - and still loving it. Already booked for next year (actually, it is now pretty much a standing booking).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As part of the mob of 8, I have to agree with gortonator! Very Happy

Don't think I would have skied half as much terrain if not for your expert guiding skills! If the temps would have stayed below freezing, I'm confident we would have been able to find untracked that whole week. Yes, a bit of work to get to the goods, but well worth it. Just so much terrain to explore means another visit someday.

Great food, great Apre' scene in Lech, or even Oberlech. And who can resist those Germknoedles floating in butter! I think I'm still working off the one we had in Zuers! wink

We ended up staying at the Pension Grisseman, which was right above the Schlegelkopf lift, and was basically ski in-ski out. Would definitely recommend for someone looking for a HB Pension that was middle of the road on the budget scale for Lech. About a 500 meter walk to the center of town too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy