Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: The season hasn't been that bad really. Discuss.

Poster: A snowHead
Judging by our guests feedback, and what we've skied on...

If you

- are a beginner to aspiring-advanced 1-2 week skier
- ski mostly or entirely on piste

I reckon the season (so far) has been pretty good really.

- pistes in generally great shape with immaculate grooming (if perhaps a little firm, requiring decent edge tune)
- few of those pesky mogul things
- lots of lovely sunshine

Discuss.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Southern French Alps have had an average'ish season.

Northern French Alps have had a below-average season.

With every passing season, it is becoming clearer that annual snowfall in the European Alps is generally shrinking. Good snow is getting rarer.

Northeast Asia, Eurasia and Western North America are where you need to go now for the best and most snow in the top half of the planet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold, you are confusing weather for climate.

And missing the point of my post.

And, and, clearly didn't ski in the Haute Savoie 2 seasons ago.

rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, I think the lower resorts, which target mainly beginners, learned their lesson from two years ago and made sure they could provide some skiing even if it wasn't very extensive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, oh absolutely, for sure they have.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All of the owners and operators I've spoken to in France have said that despite everything they've had a good season.

It certainly appears as though the pisteurs have learnt some good snow management skill since the last poor season (2006/07?)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold,
Quote:

Southern French Alps have had an average'ish season.

T depends what you mean with southern alpes? Alpe Maritime had the best season for many year, with alot of snow, and their is coming more this week, but for the rest of french alpes, its had been no good at all, but for the normal skiing tourist that come to the alpes one week per year, he/she had probably a nice week with a big sun, but for us that spend more time in the alpes, or even live here, it has been a bad season in Northern French Alps, Alpe Maritime and Pyrenees Very Happy Northern French Alps, Massif Central Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, I think you are in detention, not to mention 100 lines - I must pay attention Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can only really comment on your experiences. Difficult for someone who spends a couple of weeks a year to assess the season.

My two weeks were 10th December in Tignes and 5th March in Serre Chevalier. For someone who is mainly skiing on piste and dabling in a bit of off piste I had one cracking powder day in December. The only problem with pistes that week were on low north facing slopes where it had rained and the sun hadn't been able to soften them up resulting in icy pistes. The week in March pistes were in good condition considering the holiday crowds. There was unfortunately no fresh snow that week.

Therefore I haven't had a bad couple of weeks in the season. I didn't encounter slush, rain and could easily avoid icy pistes so I have no major qualms. A couple more powder days would have been welcomed, but we can't have it all!

I get the impression there have been much better and much worse seasons from the reports I have been reading.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We met some friends last week from home in Serre Chevalier. They declared it to be their best ski holiday ever. They are retired and only learnt to ski 5 years ago. Tales of poor snow almost made them go to Tenerife. I've certainly enjoyed this season, and have even managed far more off-piste than I've ever done when I did Vallons de la Meije in January.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You can only really comment on your experiences. Difficult for someone who spends a couple of weeks a year to assess the season.

Absolutely right. We had two friends staying with us this last week. they had wall to wall sunshine. One was a total beginner, having private lessons - the snow wasn't terrific, but she knew no different and for her, the sunshine and pleasant conditions were a revelation and she loved it. Her partner has skied 3 or 4 times, not for 6 years, and was able to ski some red runs for the first time, also adored the sunshine and fabulous visibility, and had us to pick and choose the runs for him.

Frankly, the snow conditions last week were pretty poor - but both those people went home having had a fantastic week. If they'd have been here in one of our massive March snowfalls a few years ago they'd probably have struggled, with heavy snow, not all runs pisted, on going poor visibility, and no sitting in deckchairs with a cold beer. Or if they'd gone somewhere on holiday independently, without local guidance, hand-picked private instructor, etc etc. they'd probably not have had such a good holiday. Equally, we enjoyed good company, we did more skiing because of acting as guides than if we'd been idly not bothering because of the relatively poor conditions.

Ski holidays aren't just about snow conditions.

But it still was a pretty poor season for snow around here, no doubt about that. The worst we've had in the 9 seasons, so far, and unless there is a major and unforeseen change in the weather the last four weeks of the season are going to be exceptionally poor.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've skied every other weekend in the PDS, with side trips to Flaine, Megeve, most of Chamonix and Tignes.

It's been uninspiring, but far from a catastrophe. Except the off-piste. With the sole exception of the two trips to the Grands Montets.

But I've not had a horrendous day skiing because of the weather or conditions. (Well, actually, last Saturday in the PDS would have counted, but, fortunately, I was ill.)

And I've had some great days. Some exceptional days. Probably my best day was skiing the stade at La Tour all day three weeks ago.

To be honest, it's not the weather or conditions that have got me down this season.

It's the other people. God, there are some inconsiderate ladies' front bottoms out there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

To be honest, it's not the weather or conditions that have got me down this season.

It's the other people. God, there are some inconsiderate ladies' front bottoms out there.

maybe it's your age, FlyingStantoni - we are getting old and crotchety. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Without snow making it would have been the worst season I've ever seen.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The season isn't over yet, I still have another two weeks booked snowHead
snow report
Quote:

The season isn't over yet,

10 points for this coments
ski holidays
under a new name, which ski area are you talking about?
snow report
zzz, hmmm, maybe. 1989-90 was bad but not quite as bad.
ski holidays
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:
also adored the sunshine and fabulous visibility

^^^ Skiing in the sunshine more important to most peoples enjoyment of a ski holiday than buckets of snow

It's clearly been a bad year for snow - Retour Pendant never opened Shocked Bruson already closed, crevasses open on AdM etc etc but there's still been lots of fun to be had skiing in the sunshine.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

With every passing season, it is becoming clearer that annual snowfall in the European Alps is generally shrinking. Good snow is getting rarer.

Northeast Asia, Eurasia and Western North America are where you need to go now for the best and most snow in the top half of the planet.

This is utter bollox. This season has been poor but the last 2 seasons have been fantastic round here.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Whitegold, you are confusing weather for climate.

And missing the point of my post.

And, and, clearly didn't ski in the Haute Savoie 2 seasons ago.

rolling eyes

No confusion, son.

Alpine snowfall has been trending down about 5% less every decade since the 1970s. This season fits that longer-term pattern.

Some of the French Alps have just had their worst season for snowfall since the 1970s.

Without manmade snow and better trail-management, many resorts would have been screwed.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

This is utter bollox. This season has been poor but the last 2 seasons have been fantastic round here.

See above.

It is bang-on.
ski holidays
Usually in the north french alps and I've never seen it at this little snow, but will have a go at most things and only ever lost a couple of days about five years ago when sitting out rain in Chamonix with all the lifts closed, bit more drinking dodged a few big egos and then found a stash of powder in les-houche and had a couple of monster days and a eating hut in the woods with rabbit stew Mmmmmmm Yum, finished up barking at french dogs then sleep.

Normally have a good holiday what ever I do, go with an open attitude, get on with it and find something interesting be it summer or winter and get naff-all skiing in london so anything is welcome really.
snow report
I've skied twice in France so far and once in Austria with another trip to LDA coming up.

Tignes in October was actually very good. We arrived just as there was a big dump down to about 1500m and the snow on the glacier was very good for the 3 days I was there. Back at Tignes again in December and it was OK for early season. St Anton at half term hadn't had any snow for 3 weeks and not much since Christmas. Although it snowed about 3 days during the week the conditions were only OK again, helped by decent bashing, etc. LDA in 2 weeks is looking poor down low, easiski thinks that the nursery slopes above the village are more or less shot and I think there has only been one home run open for some time. It will be good above about 2500m (still over 1000m) but I'm not expecting too much.
ski holidays
We did Tignes in December, Courchevel in January, and I've just done ADH last week.

I have to say that all this doom-mongering and "there's no snow, what will we do, won't someone think of the children" stuff cuts no ice with me - all three trips have been brilliant, snow conditions as good as could ever be expected, the last ice I can remember was one day in Courchevel after a really warm day and cold night, and even that was perfectly ok.

We are thinking about the EoSB, not sure about the snow situation, but at the moment we're taking a view that even if it is a bit of work to get a good bit of skiing in, we've had a great season already anyhow.

I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. This is not a bad season, unless you did all your skiing between the third week of January and end of Feb. Which is basically a month - sure it is peak season, but a month of slightly tough conditions out of a season lasting 4 months seems reasonable to me. It is an alpine sport that isn't guaranteed. Any ski trip outside of the Hemel slope is a gamble.
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
This is not a bad season, unless you did all your skiing between the third week of January and end of Feb. Which is basically a month

I skied Paradiski w/c 29th Jan and Meribel & 3v w/c 26th Feb - both of those trips were great. Good Skiing, nice sunshine, good company, nice food and the odd beer...

Trific..
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

See above.

It is bang-on.

Once, just once, care to quote your source?

So 09/10 season was 5% down was it?
ski holidays
zzz wrote:

Surely the last time MrsFS did a season was even worse?

BASS had to evacuate to Avoriaz. Morzine closed.We skied 8 straight days in the rain in January.

Surely? (MrsFs should be paid to stay away. For the good of everyone?)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure it would've been pretty miserable when it was raining but luckily I missed the rain each time and even in low resorts like Les Houches and Les Coches it was skiable all the way down this month. So not that bad really for piste skiing probably thanks to immaculate grooming and snow making as stated before.
ski holidays
Down here in the southern French Alps we've had noticeably less snowfall than usual (based on the 8 seasons I've been here) but the skiing has been good. I can think of seasons when there's been a lot more snowfall but the skiing hasn't been as good e.g one year the runs at the top of one of the mountains here barely opened due to high winds scouring practically all the snow away.

I don't think the snow cannons here have been used since late-January but the slopes have stayed in good condition until the last couple of weeks when the lowest 100m/200m of vertical have been pretty rubbish but I don't do a lot of skiing down there anyway.

If it hadn't been for the 3 days of rain before Christmas which took away about a quarter of the 1m 25cm that had accumulated then hardly anyone would have commented on the lack of snowfall in January.

For most skiers, me included, a bit (a lot?) of powder is a bonus but we're not much good at skiing in it and wouldn't spend a lot of time off-piste. As long as the pistes have got a covering of snow then things are fine. I've enjoyed this season more than most as it's let me do a lot more near-piste skiing as the solid stuff and moguls suit me but I'm useless in deep snow.

Until the last couple of weeks there haven't been any of the icy patches, mud, grass, shrubs sticking through the snow that I read about in reports from other resorts back in January.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
zzz wrote:

Surely the last time MrsFS did a season was even worse?

BASS had to evacuate to Avoriaz. Morzine closed.We skied 8 straight days in the rain in January.

Surely? (MrsFs should be paid to stay away. For the good of everyone?)

I agree, she should be.

The difference is, it did eventually snow in 2007 and March/April wasn't too bad.

Whilst underanewname says his punters have been happy there are still four weeks to go and I expect anyone coming out in this period will be less so.
ski holidays
I think the cumulative snowfall has been very poor this year (that's not to say that the conditions have always reflected this).

For example, Courchevel is reporting 195cm of cumulative snowfall at the top of Saulire and 171cm at 1850 for December, January, February and March (to date).

March 2008 and March 2009 saw that level of snowfall in the one month alone.

That said people seem to have had generally decent holidays, most 'holidaymakers' aren't after fabulous off piste and I'm sure that the sunny days have been lovely Cool . In fact, I guess that most 'holidaymakers' would rather a bluebird week and no new snow, most Snowheads are probably different though snowHead . I would have been really p*ssed off if I'd been doing a season this season though. That said I did from Christmas to the end of Feb in the 05/06 season and there was precious little new snow then but the skiing was still good. (Interestingly March 2006 saw 222cm at Courchevel 1850 and 359cm on the Saulire).

I was planning on a week early April but have binned that in favour of doing something else- conditions would (probably but it could of course change) not be good enough to merit flying over from the middle east!

What this season has really shown is how fantastic the piste preparation and snow-making now is. 10 years ago would have been a very different story with many resorts struggling to keep open (especially those lower ones in PdS etc). If I was still going out to the Alps in April and saw a pisteur I may even offer him a beer..... wink
snow report
BTW the Courchevel website has a very useful historical snow section where the above figures are from if you're interested in the stats!
ski holidays
zzz wrote:

So what. There is snow making.

Try asking them how their season has been in the Peak District.
snow conditions
Monium wrote:

I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. This is not a bad season, unless you did all your skiing between the third week of January and end of Feb. Which is basically a month - sure it is peak season, but a month of slightly tough conditions out of a season lasting 4 months seems reasonable to me. It is an alpine sport that isn't guaranteed. Any ski trip outside of the Hemel slope is a gamble.

Total bollox. It has been a terrible season. December was average, January very cold and little snowfall, Feb very warm with little snowfall, March ditto. That's three out of four months. Meteo France claim it is the worst season in terms of snowfall for a generation.

As underanewname is debating, if all you want to do is ski on the piste in the sun then it has been adequate but for the rest of us it has been a disaster.
snow conditions
James the Last,

Depends if you just want to ski on piste doesn't it?
ski holidays
Unfortunately zzz is probably right, if you are after powder (which I am) it's been an appalling season. I got one good day in January but that's about it. It's the luck of the draw though, fingers crossed next season is better.

Personally I also think that the snow depth readings are probably wildly optimistic- given the temperatures there is no way that the melt can have been happening as slowly as they would suggest.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

See above.

It is bang-on.

Once, just once, care to quote your source?

So 09/10 season was 5% down was it?

he did say trending, however i find they never quote sources and even then the sources are invariably based on chinese whispers
snow report
zzz wrote:
Monium wrote:

Total bollox. It has been a terrible season. December was average, January very cold and little snowfall, Feb very warm with little snowfall, March ditto. That's three out of four months. Meteo France claim it is the worst season in terms of snowfall for a generation.

As underanewname is debating, if all you want to do is ski on the piste in the sun then it has been adequate but for the rest of us it has been a disaster.

You mean like 99% of the skiiers going to any resort want to ski on piste?

December looked pretty good to me when I was skiing in knee deep powder on the piste, at minus 17 with snowfall most nights. It was way above average for me.

I will give you the start of Feb.

March I was skiing last week and the issue was too much snow on a lot of runs, making it hard work for piste skiiers - some coming off the mountain because they couldn't handle the amount of snow that had been chopped to bumps, once the piste bashers had hit it the slopes were brilliant.

Your statement is that off piste has been a disaster this season. I have to say there was no issue with December or early Jan for us on trips with the odd pootle off piste - for a season to be a disaster the piste skiing has to be significantly affected, because that's what affects the vast majority of skiiers.

Your experience may vary, but for someone who doesn't look at weather reports and instead relies on what they see, what they feel, and the comments of those around them, the season has been perfectly fine in the French resorts we've visited.
snow conditions
For those of you keen for some statistics......

Borrowing from Chris Angus, Courchevel season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 195cm

Whistler season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 1369cm

Squaw valley season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 1750cm

Snowbird season 2010/2011 snowfall to date: 1381cm

Niseko season 2010/2011 snowfall to date (borrowing from Mike Pow): 1301cm (as of 23rd March)

I'm actually genuinely curious as to why keen off-piste skiers would choose to come to Europe for a ski holiday, particularly one booked in advance. The chances of good snow are so much higher in the Western US and Japan. Even for people not into skiing powder, the pistes are so much better when it actually snows regularly.

I came to Chamonix this season mainly due to the plentiful job opportunities but will be heading elsewhere next winter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy