Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need inspiration

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just returned from an extremely slushy week in Les Gets with the family, I'm looking for some recommendations for somewhere for next year.

We usually go with 2 other families (so 6 adults, 6 kids),
like a chalet (we quite like self catering),
are all good skiiers (modest too) so don't need lots of beginners runs,
Europe preferably (can't convince the other families to do North America Sad )
like to ski-in, ski-out
don't want to bankrupt ourselves
don't care about fancy cakes in the afternoons, swimming pools etc

Easy eh? Austria was mentioned on our last night discussion but non of us have been there (we have to be able to fly there from Edinburgh/London area)

rolling eyes yeah, I know, like I said, easy Embarassed

Start me off with some resort suggestions?

Ta muchly Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bagginsmum, what time of year?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be able to get flights easily enough to Munich/Innsbruch/Zurich/Salzburg, at least I've never had any problems from little ol' Aberdeen. The majority of flights seem to go through London though. I don't know if they go from Edinburgh, but KLM Aberdeen - Amsterdam - Munich has been working out VERY cheaply for me recently, plus (if you warn them in advance) they will take any size bag under 23kg - biggest ski bag you can find, whack all your clothes/boots and kit in it, everyhtnig else in your back pack, job done.

You could do worse than Saalbach (although by the end of March you may want somewhere a little less south-facing). Ischgl, Kitzbuehel or Westendorf could be good too. Actually there's load of places that would suit.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 27-03-11 18:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, I'm guessing round about this time next year, assuming they take the same week each year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Edinburgh to innsbruck. Innsbruck to kappl - 1 hour. Great place for families. Great value. Ischgl just up the road. Quite a few ski in ski out places. Definitely worth consideration.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, should have said, early March ideally. Mr B however, is placing spanner in works by thinking about trying the kids in Canada. We've been without kids in our past lives wink Worried whether they would cope with the cold and jetlag?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

early March ideally

if going to France you need to check dates of French school holidays - finish on 11 March next year. Best avoided. Normally the first week after the French hols finish is an excellent choice - it wasn't this year, but then the end of January/early February was fairly poor in much of the French Alps too, with boilerplate everywhere. Just luck of the weather draw.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are excellent easyJet flights from Edinburgh to Munich (and also Edinburgh-Salzburg with jet2.com, though I have no experience of them). Using these you could reach anywhere in the eastern part of Tyrol (Kitzbühel Alps, SkiWelt, Zillertal) or Salzburger Land (Ski Amadé, Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang, Zell am See). Choosing is the difficult bit!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How old are the kids? We have taken 6+ ones to Canada no problem they do seem to want to go to bed early thought.
Ski school was great all english and small classes. Canadian resorts do have ice rinks, tube parks, mini skidoos, climbing walls, some have swimming pools all useful for keeping kids happy plus tv's in all the bedrooms. Ice hockey trips to the nearest "city" to watch the pro teams play.
We go to the middle bit of BC so fly into Calgary get the luggage back. Book on to the next flight to Kelowna/Kamloops then eat a meal, fly for 45 mins wait for luggage 10 mins. As one of us waits for the bags the other +kids find either the bus stop or pick up the hire car. Resorts 45- 65 mins depends on which one you are going to.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our kids will be 6 and 9 next year. Youngest has skiied for 2 seasons now and eldest for about 4. Last time I went to Lake Louise it was -34 at the top of the hill so am a bit worried especially about the youngest as he is only 3 stone wet through and I wonder how he'd cope with the cold.

I do hanker after some nice groomed piste and some beer and wings wink Hmmm what to do?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh yes..... the honey and garlic chicken wings and a sleeve of honey lager. Groomed runs all to yourself except for the people you take with you. We will be taking the long flight once more.
If you go to the "interior resorts" they are not as cold as the resorts on the east of the rockys. The snow is better than the resort on the west of the rockys.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've done Mayrhofen and Ischgl from Munich, flying from Edinburgh with EJ. Took the train from Munich to resort both times and no major problems although might be a bit more hassle with kids?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bagginsmum,

Ummm, to what extent are you trying to avoid the "slushy" week in Les Gets and the -34C in Canada? Neither of which are predictable to the degree that it sounds like you'd want them to be.

Why would you want a self catered chalet? they're usually catered. And bear in mind that the catered idea is most ofetn found in France.

Anyway,

Champoluc
Courmeyeur
Muerren
Andermatt
Chamonix

Are all suggestions fitting some of your requirements.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy