Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the point of a BASI ISIA license?

Poster: A snowHead
This has come up on other threads so i thought i would start one to avoid thread creep.

I have an ISIA license and looking at objectively i now feel it doesnt get me anything more than an L2 license does. As far as i can see the only thing it is useful for is that if i wanted to work in the southern hemisphere i would be eligible to get a visa as a professional ski instructor and wouldnt have to rely on a ski school to apply on my behalf.

Within Europe the qualification doesnt get me anything that an L2 license plus the mountain safety course does.

In the UK punters dont know about different levels and could care less so ski schools tend to hire L1 and L2's as they can pay them less.
I cant work in ski schools in italy or france unless i pass additional local tests and this work is open to L2's that pass the same tests
In austria and switzerland you only need an L2, the ISIA doesnt seem to get you anything

seems to me it is just a stepping stone to ISTD and little more. Am i being too cynical? am i missing something?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any advantage in North America?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you do get a higher pay rate at some places with an isia
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not sure North American ski schools (remembering that they are usually tied to resorts and instructor and fry cook may be similarly remunerated) are universally picky re qualifications if you've got a work visa and are a "good" English speaking (or Spanish/French as appropriate) instructor. I'd have thought ISIA is more powerful as a foot in the door if applying remotely and/or wanting them to sponsor your visa however. skinanny or DaveC probably can expand.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Discounted Lift Pass and Bragging rights Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the chance to start a new thread?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most places it'd get you an increase in pay. In NZ I think they are seen as 'full certs', and get the same pay as an NZ 3. As someone said, free/discount lift tickets. More likely to get jobs, increased priority when you do. Basically a good few benefits, but this is outside of Europe.

It does seem a little pointless in Europe though, and I guess it is mainly used as a stepping stone to ISTD.

Out of interest, how much would people estimate the cost of a BASI ISIA as?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Higher pay, sponsored visas, discount in shops, discount/free lift tickets, free lunches, respect, kudos, brownie points...... All of which do not come with the level 2 Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fattes13, you ever try to get a discount with an ISIA stamp? I have and it got me a whopping 10% in austria and 20 minutes of copying licenses, checking with supervisors etc. , nothing in france, 75% in italy (same as the L2's with me)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
heidiky, i just noticed your sig and i think i know you.... L2 in courchevel with Simon? I was in Izzies group.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh and you can instruct in france in megeve for one school with the Isia only.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I'm tending to think the same. Hard to justify the course fee's for what would appear to be little benefit over a L2.

Worse, I know a few ISIA's who loose out on work due to their ski schools choosing to employ L2's at a lower rate. This is both in UK Dome(s) and Europe.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:

yeah i stated quite clearly this thread was to avoid creep on another thread. your point is?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jjc james, i think you still need the Test Technique to work at BASS or Newgen france and the training is open to L2 and L3's

http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Training%20Centres%20-%20Text%20DR.pdf
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unless you are ISTD, you do need TT to work in France. As a trainee (Stagiere). From then you have four years to pass ET.
snow report
heidiky wrote:
Higher pay, sponsored visas, discount in shops, discount/free lift tickets, free lunches, respect, kudos, brownie points...... All of which do not come with the level 2 Smile

75% discount on lift pass in Aosta Valley with a BASI L2 licence. 8.50 euro for a day ticket. Very Happy
latest report
jjc james wrote:
you do get a higher pay rate at some places with an isia

The difference in pay scale compared with the cost of acheiving the L3 over L2 means you'd never be able to recoup the money spent to get the qualification in the first place. You couldn't work enough hours in a lifetime to justify it on purely financial grounds.
snow conditions
skimottaret, I would have thought the most obvious benefit to yourself was the ability to obtain an IVSI licence.
ski holidays
This business appears to use more acronyms than the NHS, something I would never have believed possible. Shocked

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 24-03-11 17:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
heidiky wrote:

75% discount on lift pass in Aosta Valley with a BASI L2 licence. 8.50 euro for a day ticket. Very Happy

Oh yes? Is that anytime in the season too just for regular holidaymakers who happen to have their L2? That's a brilliant discount if so.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Yes, just rock up at the ticket office, show your licence, sign a form and 8.50 euro it is.
latest report
There is one in place in Megeve that you can work with no TT or ET. Will get details and get back to you.

Here it is http://www.simonbutlerskiing.com/simon_butler.html
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, Yes, just rock up at the ticket office, show your licence, sign a form and 8.50 euro it is.

Oooh. Do you have to pay daily or do they do discounts on weekly passes too?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, as i said in my OP this is already available to L2's no need for ISIA , do you have an L2 license?
snow conditions
skimottaret, not at this point in time no, I was just asking as was interested as I didn't know there was a discount even. Now I know for future reference.
snow report
jjc james, ahh yes... thats the place sumo works at right? i thought he was or had been arrested several times and taken to court. i think i heard he won on a technicality and the esf have given up on chasing him...
snow report
skimottaret, I did yes! You're Scott? Many moons ago NehNeh

Not to drift away from the topic but (apart from simon butler) can you work in France on ISIA licence and TT then have 4 years to get ET?
Oh and can you enter an ET not through BASI??

Quote:

This business appears to use more acronyms than the NHS

Spot on! hahahah
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
the esf have given up on chasing him...

It wouldn't be hard to catch him wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
heidiky, Yes you can but if you are in BASI system you have to enter through them.

If your in another system you have to enter with your own system.
latest report
jjc james, Cheers James, they just always get booked up, would rather enter last minute but never can! Need to train first mind
snow report
heidiky, yup its me the old guy Yank Toofy Grin definitely seems like many moons ago wink

did you see JP and Si got their L4 tech passes? I was really pleased for them. You should have a crack at the TT i recon you would blast it and you could get a job at New Gen in courchevel easy or BASS..
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
kitenski wrote:

yeah i stated quite clearly this thread was to avoid creep on another thread. your point is?

It was a joke, you asked what the point of the license was and my comical answer was given [ which was obviously wasted Wink ]
snow report
kitenski, soz i have been getting a bit of stick for these threads and lost my sense of humor Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, Yeah I was thinking of doing the TT, sold all my race kit years ago and can't face buying it again! Might do a few more courses in the meantime. Saw that they got them, great stuff. I was going to go to NewGen for JP but didn't think my language would pass the patente and I would want more than peak week work lol. We shall see what the future holds!! Are you based in the UK year round then? Very Happy
snow report
skimottaret, Yeah I was thinking of doing the TT, sold all my race kit years ago and can't face buying it again! Might do a few more courses in the meantime. Saw that they got them, great stuff. I was going to go to NewGen for JP but didn't think my language would pass the patente and I would want more than peak week work lol. We shall see what the future holds!! Are you based in the UK year round then? Very Happy
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
skimottaret, I would have thought the most obvious benefit to yourself was the ability to obtain an IVSI licence.

funnily enough I'm trying to do it the other way around.
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:

So IVSI is only available to ISIA not L2? Surely then if that is the case then that is of huge benefit to skimottaret having ISIA and not just L2? Puzzled
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Different systems. SEE issues the IVSI licence where as BASI issues the ISIA licence.
snow report
heidiky, yeah stuck in the UK till my little one packs off to Uni, then hoping to spend more time in the mountains. I set up a club and we run trips to the alps and going to Japan next season. been coaching minis for a couple years as well which has been fun. also do some clinics for rec skiers at the london snowdome. so probably get around 8 10 weeks in a year which is cool at the moment. might have to get fit and have a crack at some GS though but as i suck i doubt i would get far.

i see you teach at treble cone, cool.....
snow conditions
skimottaret, Nice one, got some friends in Japow and they love it! Sounds awesome. 8-10 weeks isn't far off a season, 2 1/2 months isn't it!?! Jump in he gates, always gets the adrenaline pumping if nothing else Smile

Treble Cone is wicked, have you been? Heading back down in June Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy