Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

l'Ours Blanc, Les Menuires, Review (Lunch)

Poster: A snowHead
Well you know what it's like, a few rave reviews on snowHeads and you just have to give it a bash. It was one of those magical blues sky days and we had caught first lift up to La Masse and thrashed about on that all morning having great fun. I then suggested we decend la Masse and get lifts to the top of Mt de la Chambre and then ski down to a "special" lunch stop. We caught the Doron lift from the base of La Masse which gave me a chance to plan our entrance and exit route. From the top of Mt de la Chambre we took the excellent Les 4 Vents red piste which had great snow right down to the top of Reberty. Skiing under the Doron chair, and keeping to the very left edge of the piste I found the sign and path to our goal that I had spotted from the chair. A 100m ski along a path brought us to our destination. We ascended a flight of steel stairs and popped onto the terrace of l'Ours Blanc.

It was 12.15 and deserted so we found a table for our party of 7. Perspex on one end and half height perspex on the other 2 sides, the terrace was beautifully laid out with tables. We looked at the menu and prices were on par with any mountain venue in the 3v's cheapest resort. Suddenly the most charming waiter (french) appeared in black suit, white shirt and black tie and then proceeded to give us the most fabulous and humorous service. After the order was taken a delightful and rather elegant english lady appeared and asked us how we all were, were we having a good holiday etc etc The conversation moved on and it turned out that this was the wifey-half of the owning couple. Margaret is her name and she is obviously hugely passionate and proud of her hotel. The view and setting are quite magnificent and this was matched by the food; some had pizza and others salad or steak. We all had pud, mine being the most divine Pannacotta with summer fruit compote, fresh strawberry and a wonderful home made sesame seed long biscuit.

The day was perfect for skiing but we all had to tear ourselves away from the place. The food was superb, the service totally divine and it was my best culinary experience while skiing. It is quiet, very different from the hustle and bustle of mountain restaurants and HUGELY recommended by myself and my buddies. Pics will follow.

FWIW, the hotel seems to be run along the same lines and seems to be VERY good value.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-03-11 14:17; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Drool Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree 100%. This is the best mountain restaurant I've been to, a perfect balance of size of meal, quality, price, and great service. Not to mention loads of space, great views, and a sodding great Polar Bear in the entrance Smile

For anyone in the 3V, this is worth the pilgrimage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman Brilliant - I think I know where it is and will try to get there and enjoy when we are next out their in April.
Cheers, Noisey Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wonder if it will be accessible during the EoSB??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
I wonder if it will be accessible during the EoSB??

Very likely, Menuires is high anyhow, and it is in a reasonably high part of town. Worth booking and getting a big table - probably an ideal lunch stop for a very large group - we have about 20 of us and we were given a corner to ourselves, took up about 10% of the restaurant area, the terrace similar size.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One thing to note about l'OB, if you order a Salad Savoyarde thinking it is going to be some diddy bowl of lettuce light lunch, think again. I've never seen a salad that I might struggle to finish, with about 3 potatoes, an egg or three, dresssing, a massive bowl of leafy stuff, and croutons on top. I think there was ham etc in there as well. For about 10 euros.

Their Bolognese Pizza was a work of art, and almost unfinishable, their steaks looked like they'd been cut for people that have a protein addiction. It's not often we take photos of our lunch just to show off to friends when we get back. We did.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blimey, I think I'm going to link this thread to the EoSB one immediately!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, sounds great if we can get there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can we stop now I'm getting hungry.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, what a lovely review Very Happy Hurtle, please may I join you for lunch? Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells, RachelQ, +1 all the various lessons permitting. I've never skied to Les Menuires

Is it on the VT pass or would we need an extension?

Actually, where is Les Menuires?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, holidayloverxx, RachelQ,
According to this
http://en.lesmenuires.com/winter/ski-passes-204.htm
there's a pass for the Belleville Valley, which covers both VT and Les M: you can click on the link to see a map. I never thought to check last year whether the liaison was open - the one into Meribel wasn't - since I was skiing on a VT only pass. I like La Masse over there, but it was in horrible condition when I skied it in warm March weather last year, so not sure whether it would be worth having that sort of ski pass for a week. And the runs down towards St Martin (including everyone's favourite, Jerusalem) will surely be shot to pieces by then. A day's extension could be good, though, for a late, long lunch, haven't yet found out what that would cost. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy. 'course, the lesson timetabling might not permit this, which would be sad. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

FWIW, the hotel seems to be run along the same lines and seems to be VERY good value.

I have been singing this place's praises for a few years now and pleased that others are discovering what a great place this is. We stayed there for a week very recently and I can confirm just how good it is. 5 course dinner, superb continental breakfast, gym, sauna, spa, table tennis etc. And they are advertising a White Week for 2-9 April starting at a bargain 557 Euros which includes a 6 day 3 Valleys pass. But you do have to make your own way there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good time to resurrect this thread. wink

Anyone know if it is likely to be open during the EOSB this year? I've looked on their website but can't find any reference to their opening/closing dates.
snow report
Bump.
latest report
geepee wrote:
Good time to resurrect this thread. wink

Anyone know if it is likely to be open during the EoSB this year? I've looked on their website but can't find any reference to their opening/closing dates.

To stop you 'bumping around' again, geepee, my guess is YES.

It is also an hotel, so there is no reason to suggest that they would not serve lunchtime meals all year round. I have also checked their web site and can find no mention of them closing, so I'd guess they'd be open!

I have taken the skilift that goes past this establishment on numerous occasions but never found time to visit for lunch. After reading the reviews above, I wish I had.
ski holidays
I stayed there for Christmas week a few years back. Very nice it was too. I particularly remember the calvados waitress in a very short skirt.....sigh
latest report
Worth a call to these guys to check - we turned up on spec in mid-December and they weren't open for food, had to go back later in the week! Especially given the upgrade required on lift passes you don't want to spend a load of money and time and find they aren't doing lunch.
ski holidays
It shut fairly early last season and its pricing matrix ends on 14/04. I suspect it is already closed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy