Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain ski

Damien
Damien
Hi, I know this q probably been posted a million times but I'm selfish. Just come back from the 3v where I tried out my first all mountain ski, salomon Lords, 169 or 171 maybe, correct me please. I was really struggling in the soft/slushy snow conditions low down with my piste skis, salomon gc race 174 so I borrowed the Lords. First impressions, big improvement on the soft stuff, bombed straight through it or over it or whatever. However higher up on icy steeps, slip, skid, oh sh*t!!!! However for all the time I was on this type of stuff compared to everything else they won hands down on my piste skis. So here comes the qs.
1. I believe my pisters forgive my technique on ice. If I worked more on getting over the top on to the downhill edge of the AMS would I get some control back on icy steeps?
2. Apart from the Lords would you recommend another AMS for me, bearing in mind I'm far from an expert, 20 weeks skiing, 173cm 70kg?
3. What length?

Thanks to all who've learned the hard way Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharp edges are more important than what ski you are on if it is icy... as long as you don't go too wide
latest report
 Damien
Damien
II, the Lords were 87, not too wide then? bearing in mind my pisters are only 69.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damien, Atomic Black Eyes in a 174. (84mm under foot). Cracking skis. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slightly more pistey than the 87mm Lords is perhaps the realm of the Dynastar Legend Sultan in either 80 or 85. Worth a try - we gave the 85 a bash on a really icy day sticking completely to the piste, and had similar experience to the one you describe. I did however have some confidence that with a decent sharp edge they could be turned into an acceptable piste ski and a decent off piste tool.

Ultimately, as you have discovered, there aren't really any skis that are really very good everywhere, you won't find a wide ski that performs like your dedicated piste ski. There's lots that compromise, where you draw the line is your choice, but I wouldn't go much wider than 80-85mm waist for something that is going to spend a significant amount of time on piste.

Might be worth looking at the K2 Rictors, a friend was using them on piste last week with no complaints, and they are 80mm(ish) waist so should be able to do a reasonable amount of off-piste.

Length is personal choice, but go with as long as you are comfortable with. At your height and weight if you are comfortable with a 170 that doesn't sound unreasonable. I am taller and significantly heavier and wouldn't go much bigger than that with similar experience.

Ultimately the solution to your problem is a two ski quiver, if not more.
latest report
 Damien
Damien
Quote:

Atomic Black Eyes in a 174. (84mm under foot). Cracking skis.

Anyone else vouch for the Atomics, they sound good. Have they rocker?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a pair of Atomic Blackeyes @ 178, the original issue I think. I'm big and fat and 6'1". They serve me very well, mostly on piste. I service them myself to 1-3 but ice always spooks me as my weight can overpower the ski/edge sometimes. Would love to try the Ti's.
ski holidays
 Damien
Damien
Basil,
Quote:

service them myself to 1-3

Edge angle? That's sharp?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium, I found the 90-underfoot Icelantic Pilgrims absolutely brilliant fun on the piste.
snow conditions
 Damien
Damien
TallTone, read about those on another thread, I'd never heard of them until now. Anymore info on them? how were they on anything that hadn't seen a piste basher?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm rockin a pair of Rossignol S7's 188cm this season and I can't believe how good they are on the piste. I'm just back from 10 days in Alagna, Italy where we had every type of snow. I had the S7's, a 191 27m GS ski and a pair of SL boards with me and I never once thought about using anything but the S7's. In fact if anyone want to but my Nordica GSr's they are in great condition from 08 have had very little use and come with Marker bindings.

For Icey steeps there is nothing that will stand to more then lessons, try to do some race training classes at your local dry slope. Learn how to service your skis knowing you have shapes edges will give you the confidence to commit to the turn.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Damien, Black Eyes are slightly rockered with what Atomic call adaptive camber. They surprised me by just how good they were on piste. Mind you they were brand new and so sharp i could have shaved with them. Shocked

Check out some of their reviews.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dec, no, no, really, I don't need ANOTHER pair of GS skis. Much though I'd like a pair of GS-Rs to go with my much loved SL-Rs...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You know you want them, they'll look great beside your SL-Rs
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tried my new Scott Crusade skis out for the first time last saturday afternoon at Cairngorm, having spent the morning on my Salomon Tornado's. The difference was so noticable that i doubt I will ever use the tornado's again! They were superb on piste and despite the conditions last weekend they behaved even better off piste as well. Obviously I havent used them in powder so will have to wait for that, but I think they will be superb all over the mountain.
I also got alot of comments on how good they looked by alot of other skiers
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have Rossignol S86Ws in 170 (obviously a women's ski, but anyway), the edge bite on ice is amazing.

So it is possible with all-mountain skis!

Only thing I've not tried them in is bumps.
latest report
+1 for the Dynastar Sultan 85, skiied them for a few days last week in morning ice and afternoon slush - nailed the steeps with only a slightly improved edge from the rented one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy