Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

another first timer!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, just signed up.
I need lots of advice. Could someone advise me where to take my two children (10/13years) sking. I have never been before so need lots of help. I would like to go on the 2 april but I need to know where, snow and all that, I would like to ski in and out of the hotel if possible and have full board. < I like the idea of not having to take my skis off to much. I have look at Morzine- Viking Hotel but is this high enough. Help me please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
letsdoit, welcome to snowHead s
I've not been to Morzine, but believe that ski-in ski-out is not likely at that (or any other) time of year.

You would be better looking at one of the higher, more purpose built resorts in France or Austria, but one which is good for beginners.
Tignes fits the bill to some extent, as might, for example Obergurgl, but these are both likely to be pricey, so a smaller French resort might be a better bet. (I expect pam w will be along in a moment to suggest les Saisies)

I expect you'll get lots more suggestions soon Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lesdoits, welcome to Snowheads.

If you've never been skiing before then it is probably best for you all to book into ski school as the best way to learn. Given that you have left it so late to book (nothing wrong with that - it just limits your choices) you would probably be best booking with one of the big tour operators and buying their complete package of equipment hire, ski school, flights and transfers. As a complete beginner it doesn't matter too much where you go as long as there is snow, which points you away from France and towards Italy at the moment.

I would respectfully suggest that ski in/ski out is not going to be an issue for you if you are only just beginning. As for not taking your skis off too often - let's hope you are a natural skier Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
letsdoit, Hi and welcome. You might find it is a bit low and late, especially given the season so far. The hotel is a bit remote as well, you have to ski or get the cable car down to Morzine, and I assume the kids are also new to skiing. It might be more fun for you all to be based in a higher resort.

http://www.igluski.com/alpe-d-huez/chalet-hotel-l-escapade_p20905?holidayid=27929777

The above link is for a triple, never used them just the first thing back on google. Alpe D'Huez, is high , and has a good bus system to get you to the beginner slopes. Pool as well if the snow has all gone.

Hope you enjoy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What Tiger2, says. Go with one of the big TO's on a learn to ski package (Crystal, Thomson, Neilson, Inghams). There should be plenty of deals for 2nd/3rd April.

I would advise you to head for somewhere high like Cervinia, Val Thorens, Passo Tonale, Tignes etc and which is also good for beginners overall.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Go with one of the big TO's on a learn to ski package

Yep made that 'mistake' back in 1981, I wonder what that excellent holiday has cost me in ££'s over the last 30 years Shocked
letsdoit, Be prepared to be addicted Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
letsdoit,
As suggested above be a bit cautious about ski in/ ski out as a beginner. It can mean you are very convenient and next door to the main lifts. Equally it can mean you are half way up a hill that a beginner will struggle to ski to or from and involve a long and tiring walk to get anywhere.
Learn to ski packages can be reasonable but if you are at the beginning of the school holiday period they can be very overpriced, as can most packages at this time. This year it looks like a bit of altitude is advisable at april as the snow low down is very poor through much of the alps. Western Italy seemingly being an exception.
If you can find deals to places like Obertauern, Obergurgl, Montgenevre or La Thuile they have decent snow or good snow records and accommodation reasonably close to the lifts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
letsdoit, le Bettx, St Gervais. I have taken school trips there many times.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I expect pam w will be along in a moment to suggest les Saisies

Hmm. No, I don't think so, for a few reasons. First, though LS would normally be OK first week in April, this isn't a normal year and it would be better to go higher. Second, the best located hotel (not ski out but close to slopes, and ski in only for good skiers) is 3* and expensive for a family. Third, group lessons will be in French. Fourth, it would have to be DIY and I don't think that's ideal for a first family holiday either.

Be a great place for a subsequent family holiday though, with plenty of ski in/out apartments.

For 2 April, with a family of complete beginners, I agree that a TO "learn to ski package" is ideal and I would have thought Val Thorens might be the best choice in French terms. But snow in Italy is good and there might be some good options there. May also be some Austrian options but I'd avoid anywhere you have to bus. I am not too keen on climbing in and out of buses in ski boots, carrying skis, especially with kids, and I've been skiing for years!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
letsdoit, for some hotels and some resorts ski-in-ski-out will not be useful to beginners as the slopes between beginners slopes and hotel may be long and difficult. I suggest that better goals for your first holiday are walking distance from hotel to beginners area or walking distance from hotel to bus stop (or other transport) to access the beginners slopes. Also, look at the terrain of the walk - a steep road or path, or a big flight of steps would be undesirable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
letsdoit, welcome to SH

I'd be inclined to go for a purpose-built, high altitude French resort for this one - La Plagne, Tignes, Les Arcs, 3 valleys, or similar. Won't be cheap but likely to give you a better 1st time experience than some other resorts.
You are comparatively late season and the snow hasn't been brilliant everywhere in Europe. So go high.

Full board is probably not needed - it ties you back to your accommodation every lunch time. Look at Club Med as a possible for a TO package. Les Arcs (Peisey sector) has one. That way you get a pool and a few other things thrown in. As 1st timers you're unlikely to be able to stay out happily on skis all day - whatever the conditions. It's nice to have some other activities available.

Have a good one wherever you go.
snowHead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 22-03-11 12:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am with Dubaian on that one, La Plagne, I took my kids there pretty much at the beg of their skiing and by the end of the week - which was April- they were doing the reds, normally, there is plenty of accommodation and you can get cheap deals,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

for some hotels and some resorts ski-in-ski-out will not be useful to beginners as the slopes between beginners slopes and hotel may be long and difficult. I suggest that better goals for your first holiday are walking distance from hotel to beginners area or walking distance from hotel to bus stop (or other transport) to access the beginners slopes. Also, look at the terrain of the walk - a steep road or path, or a big flight of steps would be undesirable.

+1 There is very, very, little "ski in/out" accommodation which is manageable for complete beginners when anything other than almost completely flat gradients seem terrifying. And as this post suggests, what do you ski "in and out" from and to? Easy walk to ski school meeting place is what you need.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone, having a looks at all of your info. I will report back when I find some hotels, but keep your fingers crossed i find somewhere. I was looking at La plange Terra Nova £399PP. Any thoughts? X
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
letsdoit, Is Terra Nova in Belle Plagne - if so it would be perfect. If not that doesn't rule out LP. Good price if that's incl ski school and hire.
(BTW I'm a big BP fan).

Edit - it's in Plagne Centre. No probs with that really. Might be better for apres ski. Outdoor pool up at Plagne Bellecote. You can bus around most bits of the LP villages easily.
http://www.laplagne.co.uk/index.php/la-plagne-hotels/hotel-terra-nova

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 24-03-11 11:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Have a look at Silver Ski - they had some absolute bargains for 2 April. Of their chalets I would look at La Plagne and either Courchevel 1850 or 1650. If you go to La Praz (and perhaps La Tania), be prepared to take the gondola home of an evening. Of the other high altitude French resorts I would place Val Thorens well above Tignes (and Val d'Isere) for beginners.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy