Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which FIS GS ski has the shortest turning radius?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey Alpiners!

Looking for a women's FIS GS ski for next season which a short(er) turning radius - any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jack
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe I am misunderstanding the situation, but I thought all FIS compliant skis had to have a minimum turning radius (27 M for men and 23 M for women)- those with shorter radius are considered non-FIS compliant and are generally referred to as "cheater" GS skis.

This link seems to have some useful info http://www.ussa.org/magnoliaPublic/ussa/en/news/alpine/alpineequipmentrules.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MEfree30, you are correct but, within these skis, there are variations. For example, the 183 Head GS has a radius of 25.4m.
The shortest female FIS compliant ski would be 23m radius and 175/6 in length.

If being FIS compliant is not a requirement, then perhaps look to find some 21m radius gs skis, which are still FIS legal for masters.

British competition rules here http://www.gbski.com/docstore/BCR/BCR%20VI.pdf taken from current fis precisions on equipment
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MEfree30, you are correct but, within these skis, there are variations. For example, the 183 Head GS has a radius of 25.4m.
The shortest female FIS compliant ski would be 23m radius and 175/6 in length.

If being FIS compliant is not a requirement, then perhaps look to find some 21m radius gs skis, which are still FIS legal for masters.

British competition rules here http://www.gbski.com/docstore/BCR/BCR%20VI.pdf taken from current fis precisions on equipment
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This in interesting - thank you.

As a telemark racer I am not restricted to the FIS Alpine ski regulations but still looking for a 'full-on' GS ski but with a shorter radius to suit the slightly tighter World Cup telemark courses.

This year I was on 182 Dynastar Speed WCup, which is 26m I think. Not massively impressed with the build quality of the skis - had to go back to the factory more than once so looking for something else..

Any suggestions?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps look at the Head or Atomic in a sub 180 length so getting closer to 23m radius.

All good race skis and very well thought of and widely used.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just race when the snow is softest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not familiar with what makes a good telemark racing ski, but am under the impression that many of the beer/business league racers use cheater GS skis with a radius of 16-20 M. One of my friends who races masters (not that fast, but he tries) uses the Atomic D2 GS- I believe in a 179 with a 18.4 r. http://www.atomicsnow.com/en-US/ProductFinder.aspx/#/alpine/alpine_ski/4/race/aa0001800/d2_race_gs

I picked up a used pair of Dynastar GS skis (182 cm r 21) for a song- prices really dropped on these skis when FIS increased the radius requirement...being that you don't have to be FIS compliant, my guess is that you don't need anything with an R > 21 m (and probably could go less).

I'd recommend checking out the various manufactures web sites as I think most of the big ones make a cheater GS race ski.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi
I do hope that I may be permitted to inform this discussion by pointing out a few facts that may not already be fully appreciated by everyone.
There are several expert and quite correct postings here: nevertheless I hope to add something.

The main point is: Turning Radius and Sidecut Radius shouldn't be mixed up. And here's why.

The Radius marked on a ski is not the Turning Radius. It is the sidecut radius Rsc. This is a fixed dimension of the ski. Whereas the Turning radius of a carved ski can go from a couple of metres all the way up to a very large radius. Depending on how you ski them.
You can think of this Rsc radius as if there was a huge cookie-cutter of radius Rsc that took a bite out of each long edge of a straight board.
I think most people get that, but the point even some experts miss is that the Rsidecut defines a theoretical Maximum carve-turn radius (and not the Minimum).

What makes a ski carve-turn is the amount to which the ski is made to bend. You bend them by inclining them on to their edges and allowing pressure to build up. The faster you are going, the more force you have at your disposal, and so the more you can bend them.
What makes a ski turn easier or harder is the stiffness.
Get softer flex skis and they will be easier to ski because you'll be able to bend them at slower speeds.
Hard skis of Rsc >= 21 can be very much more difficult to work than a softer ski with a larger Rsc.
Theoretically, you can carve clean turns up to a Turning Radius equal to the skis' Sidecut Radius. The smallest carve-turn radius depends upon how you ski them.

But this is a big approximation:
Theoretical carving calculations rely on gross simplifications. One of these is that the full ski length is assumed to be engaged with the snow in carving. But this isn't so in real skiing. At least - not all the time.
Expert racers finish their GS turn riding only the tails. The ski is not therefore always acting like a suspension bridge between two ends, but sometimes as a cantilever bridge supported only at one end or even somewhere in the middle.
Short-radius arcs on Skis with long Rsc are necessary in GS. The GS Turn is not a long-radius turn at all. It is a progressively edged turn:-
Here are very clean arcs carved on 27m Radius skis See this image :- http://youcanski.com/images/gs_turns/2_.jpg
This is clearly a non-circular arc only a couple of metres approx radius at the apex. It is clearly a progressively edged turn.

For Sale:
If anyone is interested, I have for sale a very nice pair of slightly used Race Stock Fischer GS Rsc >=21m and length 183cm.
Plenty of edge left and currently set on Base -0.5 Degrees and side-edge 88 Degrees. This means there is plenty of edge left to take another 0.5 Deg off the base and 1 Deg off the side.
Price £300.00 plus carriage. Or collect from Edinburgh.
Please contact David.Cuthill@skipresto.com
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy