Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

tornados or k2 amp charger + ski length advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

Am considering buying some skis in the sales

I'm naturally a good skier, but with just a weeks skiing under my belt (and a fair bit of dry stuff) I'm kidding myself if I'm better than beginner-intermediate.

I like going fast, and want to learn to carve too.

I'm just over 6ft and about 85kg

How long should my skis be? And are the above ok for me?

Any advice would be great! Smile [/url][/b]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're exactly the same height and weight as me. I nearly always choose the longest length available in any particular ski model. So for a piste ski that would be usually around 175 ish and 185 ish for all mountain. As a beginner you might want to consider going one length shorter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billy_boy_2010,

The Salomon Tornado TI, 10-11 model is a great ski. Unlike the K2, and unlike Salomon's 11/12 ski series, it still has a proper traditional camber.

If youa re a beginner/intermediate, it would be better for your technique and skill set to progress as far as you can on traditional camber'd skis before tring the likes of a rocker ski. Yes rocker skis make things easier in the pow and such but a truly great skier can ski any ski in any condition. So to stick with your natual ability to pick up skiing quickly, get the Tornados in either the 173 or the 180. The 173 if you spend most of your time on piste, 180 if you like venturing off a bit more.

These skis are very playful and will be a joy for you right through your upward progression. Although they feel heavy in your hands, they act light on the snow.

There are a few great deals on ebay (widen search to worldwide, some in Italy round £340). the Tornado TI PL is a stiffer ski which is less forgiving and can present more of a challenge, but still a viable option
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess you will get many opinions on here but I'd say the opposite of the above. My understanding is that the Tornado is a ski that needs to be worked and worked hard. My experience of rockered skis is that they ski much shorter than traditionally cambered ski's and therefore, are a little easier to ski,

Certainly when I was looking for a new set of ski's this year my choice was either K2 or Salomon and I ended up going with the K2 AMP Rictor which has just excelled itself...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am slightly heavier and similar height, and some of the advice above on length sounds a bit over what I'd suggest.

Short skis will make life easier for you, and you should look at something between 165 and 175cm. Personally I find 175s too long, and catch edges on skis at that length. More than 175cm at your current level would be ridiculous, they'd be above eye level on you. I've been skiing for a long time, the current fashion for massively long skis isn't one to worry about, try some out, write down what lengths and models you've tried and liked.

One big advantage at the moment is the ability to demo skis at many of the snowdomes, and if you enjoy and want to buy a ski, you can probably buy the demo model at a sensible discount from the store.

Finally I'd say with one week of skiing under your belt, whatever skis you buy now are probably going to be good for about the next couple of years. After that you'll be buying again. So I'd suggest going for a secondhand pair from the personals, ebay, or check out your local club/shop for bargains. Do your research, ask us what you've seen and are considering, and we can help. Buying new skis right now is not going to be a cheap business, and you may well be better off hiring for another couple of trips until you've got to a level where you know what you want and will stick with the same ski for a few years.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy