Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing In Mid April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if it is possible to ski in Europe mid april and if so, can anyone recommend where?

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MattE, welcome to Snowheads. Normally, masses of resorts are open past mid April, but this year the snow cover has not been very good in some parts of the Alps so the choice may be less wide than usual by then.

Generally in mid April people would recommend going somewhere which provides high altitude skiing and also has pistes with different aspects (because of icy pistes first thing, when a bit of sun is good to soften them up, and very slushy pistes after lunch, so needing to find slopes which face east/north.

What are you after? Of the places I know (French ones) I'd recommend Tignes or Les Deux Alpes, both of which have glacier skiing. Tignes resort is one of the highest in the Alps - Les Deux Alpes is more of a "proper town" down in the valley.

You need to give us a bit more information about what kind of skiing you're after, and what else is important.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pam w, thanks for the welcome, were a family who have skied 4 times in Austria. We did not ski last year Sad and was hoping to go this year but have not managed to fit it in as yet hence the question really. My boys and I ski reds and will have a go at anything but my wife prefers nice wide cruising blues. I will check out Tignes and Les Deux Alpes that you mention. Again, many thanks.

MattE
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Val Thorens / Courchevel 1850;
2. Tignes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect that unless the weather gets a bit colder over the next few weeks the extra altitude of Tignes will be worth going for. I was in Courchevel one rather slushy Easter, some years ago - we had a decent fall of snow, which transformed conditions, but it was heavy, leg-breaking stuff and pretty soft by early afternoon, even quite high up.

Tignes is usually open into May (and, of course, in summer for the glacier skiing).

You could probably afford to wait until pretty well the last minute to see what the weather does.

At present there is some great snow in some parts of Austria, Italy and France but it can all change quite fast at this time of year and in many of the more northern French resorts conditions now, in mid March, are like they usually are in a rather poor mid April.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well worth considering Ischgl for mid April in Austria. Most of the skiing is above 2000m and north facing.

Obertauern is also high and worth a look.

Both of these are intending to run until May.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This year a snorkel will be useful..........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many thanks to all for the advice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy