Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Day before' check in

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just found out about the day before check in at Manchester, and was wondering if anyone had any experience of it? Any problems, or does it all run smoothly?
Wife's convinced bags will go missing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davef wrote:

Are they offering plastic surgery as well? wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamcham, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davef wrote:

It is Manchester after all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thats what i was thinking!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Seriously though, were only half hour from the airport but not sure if its worth the extra trip for everyone just to avoid queing in the morning, although it would be extra time in bed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't even contemplate it - I live in Chorlton and I'm flying out to GVA on Wednesday morning.

I'd rather get to the airport 2 hours before departure, check-in and then grab a coffee grinning at the thought that I would be in Val in the afternoon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're doing it tomorrow for an early morning departure on sunday. (from gatwick) I've been reassured by the tour operator that it works well. For us it means getting up at 4.45am instead of 3am (quite a difference!). Friends of ours did it in january and they had no problems.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kapow Even though you avoid the check-in queue, I guess you still have to queue for security - so can you afford to arrive almost 2 hours later? Or would you expect to arrive, say, 3 hours before departure if you didn't have the 'day before' thingy?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davef, you still have to check your bags in on the day, it just saves you queueing for your boarding pass, you can go straight to a baggage check in counter where the queue may be a little smaller than the main check in desks. No risk to the baggage (although i always like to check they've put the right destination tag on them before they disappear off down the carousel...)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franga wrote:
I wouldn't even contemplate it - I live in Chorlton and I'm flying out to GVA on Wednesday morning.

I'd rather get to the airport 2 hours before departure, check-in and then grab a coffee grinning at the thought that I would be in Val in the afternoon.

Or a guiness! we're flying out to GVA Sunday morning at 06.45 Happy (no answer to the op, just excited) not checking in day before, just head over the tops at 3.30am, and enjoy the m62/m60 at more than a crawl for once
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamcham wrote:
davef wrote:

Are they offering plastic surgery as well? wink

Laughing Laughing quality Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davef wrote:
Hi, just found out about the day before check in at Manchester, and was wondering if anyone had any experience of it? Any problems, or does it all run smoothly?

I've done it at Gatwick before with no problems (when staying in a nearby hotel due to appalling early hour of next day flight).

I'm not sure I'd drive to and back from the airport to do it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davef, done it a few times now. It works really well. But we live 10 mins from M'cr airport and so it is no hassle to nip up the night before and drop the bags.

Assume you are flying with Thomson/First Choice? If so then plan when you will go to check in by checking the departures board on line for that day's flight departures, then time your arrival at the check in hall for after all that day's flights have gone (usually after 4 or 5pm) otherwise you will end up queuing for 2 hours anyway but just the day before.

The next morning you walk straight past the huge queues in the check in hall to security Very Happy

Obviously it is most useful when travelling on a peak weekend. But IMO at silly o'clock any extra time in bed is a good thing. Enjoy your hol snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Red Leon, our flight times this year are the same as last year - 6.25am. Last year we got up at 3am (stayed overnight at the travelodge - terrible night's sleep because we knew we'd be up again in 4-5 hours or so) and got the bus to the airport - only had a choice of either 3.30am or 4.30am at that time of the day so went with the 3.30am. Got to the airport and had too much time. Kids were so tired and everyone was irritable.
This year we have now checked in - took us 35 mins from the time we parked the car to the time we got back to it ( i know becasue we missed the 30 minute parking price band by 5 mins). And off we went 'home' (to my parents' house 20 mins from the airport). Tomorrow morning we will get up at 4.55am (hopefully!) (just about TWO hours more in bed!!) and drive to the meet and greet for 5.30 and go straight to secuirty and boarding. Hope it's as simple as that! Last year there was noone around at that time of day and we went straight through security. Will let you know next week...night night Very Happy
snow conditions
It's a pity it's not done at more airports, just Manchester, Birmingham and Gatwick I think. We had a 6.30 flight from Luton at half term and it was a killer despite staying 5 miles away.
latest report
We did it a few weeks ago at Manchester, when travelling with Crystal. It worked really well for us and meant an extra hour in bed and not having to carry all our bags around when half asleep. We were not working the day before, so got there at 12 noon and there was no queue at all.
latest report
Colin B wrote:
It's a pity it's not done at more airports, just Manchester, Birmingham and Gatwick I think. We had a 6.30 flight from Luton at half term and it was a killer despite staying 5 miles away.

Can check in day before at Heathrow with BA for sure.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice, was keen on going over the day before but inlaws have organised something for us when we're down so won't happen.
Maybe next time...
snow report
davef, just to report back - it worked out fine and our bags were within the first 10 off! Will definitely do it again for early departures
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy